Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings (1-0) at Eagles (1-0) MNF Week 2

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Foreman44 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:08 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:51 pm

I mean in all fairness he did take them down in OT, on the road against a SB favorite and won the game. So to be honest I dont really buy that. Anything can happen on any given week
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. How many felt comfy cousins pulling out the iggles game. Did he even come close to bringing it back. I believe he threw two picks.
I bet when Brady, favre, mahomes,Rodgers, others. If they are down two tds. Do they feel there QBs can pullnitbout. Yes. Do we have that in cousins?
How many eagles fans went into the playoffs in 2017 and had confidence in Nick Foles? Especially after the divisional game against Atlanta. He looked terrible. And as much as he torched us in the NFC title game, did any eagles fan really see him beating Tom Brady? Hell Mcnabb lost to Brady back in the day in the SB and he was a 10x better QB than Foles. Again it’s all about how you bounce back from a loss like that and if you can get hot come playoff time. That’s what matters. Not a week 2 game on the road against a non-divisional opponent.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:51 pm

I mean in all fairness he did take them down in OT, on the road against a SB favorite and won the game. So to be honest I dont really buy that. Anything can happen on any given week
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. How many felt comfy cousins pulling out the iggles game. Did he even come close to bringing it back. I believe he threw two picks.
I bet when Brady, favre, mahomes,Rodgers, others. If they are down two tds. Do they feel there QBs can pullnitbout. Yes. Do we have that in cousins?
He was down by 20 against Denver at half and won. Down by 11 against Panthers starting 4th qtr and won.
The quarterback was at his best on Minnesota's final two drives, as he missed just once. Cousins completed 12 of 13 passes for 136 yards with two scores on the final two drives, both of which ended in the end zone. https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousi ... meback-win
Farve threw a pick that ended the Champ game he was in with us. Farve is a HOFer and you were never out of a game. You could also lose some heart breakers when he made bad decisions.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:35 am

He was down by 20 against Denver at half and won. Down by 11 against Panthers starting 4th qtr and won.
The quarterback was at his best on Minnesota's final two drives, as he missed just once. Cousins completed 12 of 13 passes for 136 yards with two scores on the final two drives, both of which ended in the end zone. https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousi ... meback-win
Farve threw a pick that ended the Champ game he was in with us. Farve is a HOFer and you were never out of a game. You could also lose some heart breakers when he made bad decisions.
I like cousins. I hope I am totally wrong imo...I still don’t have a strong feeling when you go against a playoff team and down. He will put that team on his back.

Per another post. Files beat us in the championship game. On a given Sunday maybe even season. We had it with Keenum. Who expected that. What has he done since.. what has Foles done since. They both had a chemistry that yr.

Again I like cousins, hope I am wrong. Maybe last game was just one of those games. He wasn’t the only one having a bad game. Defense did pick up some the second half.

I don’t get that feeling I have with Rodgers, Favre and others when down they put the team on there back
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:35 am
I like cousins. I hope I am totally wrong imo...I still don’t have a strong feeling when you go against a playoff team and down. He will put that team on his back.

Per another post. Files beat us in the championship game. On a given Sunday maybe even season. We had it with Keenum. Who expected that. What has he done since.. what has Foles done since. They both had a chemistry that yr.

Again I like cousins, hope I am wrong. Maybe last game was just one of those games. He wasn’t the only one having a bad game. Defense did pick up some the second half.

I don’t get that feeling I have with Rodgers, Favre and others when down they put the team on there back
I mean look at Rodgers in week 1 though. Did he put the team on his back against us? He continued to do nothing just like in the first half. That was a huge game. He's on the road, against arguably their biggest challenge in the division and he flopped.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:43 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:00 pm
Game 1's are much worse at predicting season success historically than any other game during the season for some very obvious reasons. In fact, if the opposite had happened and the Packers had crushed the Vikings I would have spent most of the week on here talking people off the ledge, pointing out all the teams that sucked week 1 but turned things around after words. You have a bunch of players who haven't played real football in almost a year, no one has film on any offenses or defenses yet, and fluky things can happen.

It also doesn't help that the Packers under Lafleur have historically sucked offensively week 1, with the one exception being the week 1 of 2020 when they beat up on a practice squad roster that was our 2020 defense. Or that some metrics pointed to the success that week as being somewhat of an aberration. DVOA for instance (really VOA at this point), had our defense ranked at 18th and the offense was did very little outside of passes to a wide open JJ. That type of offensive success was not maintainable and teams were not going to watch what GB did and do the same.

I do think this team is not as bad as that defeat Monday says we are, but neither are they as good as the previous week implied. They are somewhere in between, which is good enough for the Wilfs, but not good enough for a fan base that has never seen their team win a SB. It is an okay team right up against the cap with little hope of big improvements next season.
Week 1 games are hard to judge but week 2 is not?
Not sure why that is so hard for you. Week 1 teams have not played a meaningful snap for nearly a year, teams have 0 tape on the other team, 0 adjustments have been made, and you see the most variance in how a team performs on average versus their final rankings than any other week of the year. Week 1 is notorious for being unpredictable, not just because we don't yet know who is good yet, but also because of the factors above.

None of this really matters though, because we have a whole season to see what the Vikings truly are, including the upcoming game against the Lions. I believe they are good enough to beat up on a bad Lions defense at home, but I thought that last year too and it didn't happen so who knows.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am

None of this really matters though
Exactly, it doesnt. Especially when you have a weak argument and have trouble giving credit to where credit is due. Week 1 didnt fit the narrative, week 2 did. So lets make up our own argument as to why week 1 "doesnt count".
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am to beat up on a bad Lions defense at home
Always hedging your bets :lol: I can see through you better than I can see through a brand new pair of Oakley's.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am to beat up on a bad Lions defense at home
Always hedging your bets :lol: I can see through you better than I can see through a brand new pair of Oakley's.
Wtf are you even talking about? Does every one of my opinions need be Vikings suck and will lose every game or I am "hedging my bets"?

Why can't people just be fans of the team and have realistic expectations for them based on the talent they are putting on the field? One of those being that they can beat the Lions? :confused:
Last edited by StumpHunter on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am

None of this really matters though
Exactly, it doesnt. Especially when you have a weak argument and have trouble giving credit to where credit is due. Week 1 didnt fit the narrative, week 2 did. So lets make up our own argument as to why week 1 "doesnt count".
Nice strawman. I literally said that the Vikings are somewhere between what they did week 1 and week 2. Deep down you know I am right and that what happened Monday means this team isn't a contender even if it doesn't mean that they are terrible (see my post where I said the Vikings are probably a playoff team in this very thread). Nice job arguing a point no one made though. :thumbsup:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:23 pm

Nice strawman. I literally said that the Vikings are somewhere between what they did week 1 and week 2. Deep down you know I am right and that what happened Monday means this team isn't a contender even if it doesn't mean that they are terrible (see my post where I said the Vikings are probably a playoff team in this very thread). Nice job arguing a point no one made though. :thumbsup:
You could say the sky was blue, on a nice day in an outdoor stadium, and Percy would argue with you.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:37 pm Ok if you want to use the packers as not making the super bowl fine. But I also named both teams in the super bowl last year. One losing to the jets and bears last year and the other losing 3 games in a row and winning the SB still. So again it happens to many good to great teams and it happens more often than you think
I guess those teams worked out the issues that affected them.

As for the Vikings, hopefully they can get the defensive issues worked out. There was enough turnover on defense and enough veteran presence on defense to believe the defense could truly be different this year.

On offense, I'm not as convinced there is more upside. Cook seems far less explosive than in the past, Cousins still is up-and-down from one game to the next and even within the same game, and for all the weapons the offense supposedly has, they're struggling to sustain drives on 3rd downs. That is the same story we've seen for the last solid 2 years of the Zimmer regime with many of the same players, so I'm less inclined to believe KOC can do that much to address the issues on that side of the ball. On paper, the offense of the last several years looks like one of the better ones in the league, and against many teams, it has been. In practice, especially against better defenses, it's shown itself to be very unreliable and easily broken down.

The Wilfs really proceeded under the assumption those issues were the result of Mike Zimmer's leadership, and maybe to a lesser extent Rick Spielman's. I suspect they missed the mark with that assessment, but you're probably right that more time is needed for the effects of KOC's leadership to become apparent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Lmao there has never been a point where “deep down” I thought you were right. Literally ever. Don’t flatter yourself.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm
You could say the sky was blue, on a nice day in an outdoor stadium, and Percy would argue with you.
Who doesn’t argue with him^? He’s been a walking argument since the day he joined. Clearly you missed that
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:17 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 am

Wtf are you even talking about? Does every one of my opinions need be Vikings suck and will lose every game or I am "hedging my bets"?

Why can't people just be fans of the team and have realistic expectations for them based on the talent they are putting on the field? One of those being that they can beat the Lions? :confused:
Haha you know exactly what I’m talking about. Don’t play dumb. Anytime cousins could possibly have an “advantage” against a team, you have to highlight that team being “bad” in that area prior to the game so when people give him credit, you can shoot it down. You’ve literally done this forever.

And yeah people love to come on here and just be fans but sometimes that’s tough when you and your disciple are constantly on here shooting down opinions and twisting peoples words.
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:28 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:17 pm

Haha you know exactly what I’m talking about. Don’t play dumb. Anytime cousins could possibly have an “advantage” against a team, you have to highlight that team being “bad” in that area prior to the game so when people give him credit, you can shoot it down. You’ve literally done this forever.

And yeah people love to come on here and just be fans but sometimes that’s tough when you and your disciple are constantly on here shooting down opinions and twisting peoples words.
Have you ever seen Conspiracy Theories? If no, you should.