53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

Post by Texas Vike »

This seems like a common sense move to me. He hasn't shown much, but developing him on the PS could pay dividends. Mannion to PS rumor makes no sense to me.
Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
·
7m
Source says that if QB Kellen Mond doesn't get claimed on waivers that he's expected to join the #Vikings practice squad. Mond was waived yesterday. The deadline for teams to claim players is 11 a.m. CDT today.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am This seems like a common sense move to me. He hasn't shown much, but developing him on the PS could pay dividends. Mannion to PS rumor makes no sense to me.
Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
·
7m
Source says that if QB Kellen Mond doesn't get claimed on waivers that he's expected to join the #Vikings practice squad. Mond was waived yesterday. The deadline for teams to claim players is 11 a.m. CDT today.
In 20 Minutes claims are done. How long will it take us to find out the claims?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:04 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Mannion goes to the practice squad? Why?

:wallbang:
I was corrected recently for referring to Mannion as Kirks personal assistant. I admitted that my opinion might be wrong but made the point that the way the Vikings keep Mannion around make for bad optics even if I’m wrong.

Well, here we go again if we sign him to the practice squad. What are we supposed to think if they bring him back again?
If one of the two guys remaining gets hurt they will need another body to plug in. It's no more than that. People can think whatever they want to think when in reality nobody knows. IMO Mannion is a guy that knows the system and is worth keeping around just in case somebody get's knocked out for a long tome. He can also throw practice balls and help with the scout team for game prep. When I see this Holder Olli still on the team that should be a major concern. Basically nothing at OT if a player gets nicked. Binary Brain needs to fix that. He also needs to find a center that can block. We have a cardboard mannequin playing center. You can't hold your own at the LOS with crap like that. Nothing will work. Stupid way to get stuffed.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I was corrected recently for referring to Mannion as Kirks personal assistant. I admitted that my opinion might be wrong but made the point that the way the Vikings keep Mannion around make for bad optics even if I’m wrong.

Well, here we go again if we sign him to the practice squad. What are we supposed to think if they bring him back again?
We are supposed to think the VIKINGS like having him around. Kirk as far as I know likes having him around as well.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:45 am

If one of the two guys remaining gets hurt they will need another body to plug in. It's no more than that. People can think whatever they want to think when in reality nobody knows. IMO Mannion is a guy that knows the system and is worth keeping around just in case somebody get's knocked out for a long tome. He can also throw practice balls and help with the scout team for game prep. When I see this Holder Olli still on the team that should be a major concern. Basically nothing at OT if a player gets nicked. Binary Brain needs to fix that. He also needs to find a center that can block. We have a cardboard mannequin playing center. You can't hold your own at the LOS with crap like that. Nothing will work. Stupid way to get stuffed.
Any PS rumors we hear right now are just rumors. PS can't be filled until waivers are done. That's coming real soon.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Field Yates
@FieldYates
The Browns have claimed QB Kellen Mond.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

[Chris Tomasson] DL Armon Watts, surprisingly waived by the Vikings yesterday, is claimed by the Bears.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:38 am
Field Yates
@FieldYates
The Browns have claimed QB Kellen Mond.
Nobody is going to claim Mannion, so it looks like he probably will wind up on the PS.

I have this gut feeling that releasing Mond after just a year with the Vikings is going to come back and bite KAM and KOC at some point. Hope I'm wrong but I think they gave up on him way too quickly.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think it means they need a QB on the PS and Mannion is the best of what's left off the waiver wire.

The QB who threw no preseason TDs. No attempts at throws that could have gone for a TD. He didn't throw any INTs either, but that wasn't for a lack of trying as defenders just didn't make the play when he threw it right to them. Strip sacked for a defensive TD. He misread the field every bit as slowly and poorly as Mond, his throws were consistently high and off target, and he just lacked any dynamism at all.

And yet, KAM and KOC apparently are either sticking with him or stuck with him depending on how one wants to look at it. Good thing he's on the PS, but what a crap deal for the fans if it does turn out the Vikings need to go to the well at some point this season. No future there either. PS is ideal for developmental guys who need coaching and time to mature. Mannion isn't getting any better at this point. This is as good as he'll ever be.

I sure hope Cousins does something this year, because if not and the team falls short again, they'll be back at the betting table next offseason trying to figure out what to do at QB.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Guys: no need to argue over 'what ifs" at this point.

Mond is w/ Cleveland and Mannion signed with the Seahawks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:14 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:38 am
Nobody is going to claim Mannion, so it looks like he probably will wind up on the PS.

I have this gut feeling that releasing Mond after just a year with the Vikings is going to come back and bite KAM and KOC at some point. Hope I'm wrong but I think they gave up on him way too quickly.
I have a gut feeling it won't hurt us in the slightest. Time will tell.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:49 pm Guys: no need to argue over 'what ifs" at this point.

I heard Seattle wanted him for their PS. I wonder if the Vikings really wanted him or Mannion just liked Seattle more.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:24 pm

I think it means they need a QB on the PS and Mannion is the best of what's left off the waiver wire.

The QB who threw no preseason TDs. No attempts at throws that could have gone for a TD. He didn't throw any INTs either, but that wasn't for a lack of trying as defenders just didn't make the play when he threw it right to them. Strip sacked for a defensive TD. He misread the field every bit as slowly and poorly as Mond, his throws were consistently high and off target, and he just lacked any dynamism at all.

And yet, KAM and KOC apparently are either sticking with him or stuck with him depending on how one wants to look at it. Good thing he's on the PS, but what a crap deal for the fans if it does turn out the Vikings need to go to the well at some point this season. No future there either. PS is ideal for developmental guys who need coaching and time to mature. Mannion isn't getting any better at this point. This is as good as he'll ever be.

I sure hope Cousins does something this year, because if not and the team falls short again, they'll be back at the betting table next offseason trying to figure out what to do at QB.
What is falling short? Never say never but if we face a team like the 49ers who have a dam good front 7 on D I don't think we can hold up with our current OL. The Packers went through it last year with a future HOF QB. It all starts at the LOS. There's not much to figure out. Cousins has at least one more year and nothing behind him. So unless they trade for someone they will need to make a pick. If they can't make a pick then they will probably extend Cousins unless he packs it in or get's hurt real bad and is done. If we need to go with a backup QB more than likely it's over. The Browns are using a backup QB and I highly doubt they have a realistic chance. No different than any other team. The 49ers are in the best shape. Jimmy G could be the best backup. They have questions about their starter right now. But they can play solid D which always helps.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:49 pm Guys: no need to argue over 'what ifs" at this point.

I hope the forum members who typed up pages of stats to prove their points about Mond and Mannion didn't give themselves a case of carpal tunnel. I'd hate to see any of our friends have to go on IR and not be active on September 11th.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Bye bye Mond!! I am so happy he is gone! :rock: