53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: 53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:23 am
You don't know that. Nobody does. It's based on a ton of factors, including what kind of signing bonus he gets from a new team. None of those factors have been adjudicated. So you don't know.

However, informed speculation is that he'd bring somewhere in the neighborhood of a 6th round pick. So to my mind, the Vikings should require at least a 5th for him in a trade, preferably a 4th. Otherwise, I'd roll the dice on a comp pick and keep him on the roster, since he clearly has value to the Vikings.
The reason I say the odds are incredibly low is because the odds are low for every UFA. Not only does that player need to get a qualifying contract, but the team that loses him can't sign an UFA of equal or more value. That means even if Mattison is signed to the highest UFA RB contract in the NFL next year (which is unlikely), the Vikings couldn't sign any high value UFA or they would lose the 3rd round comp pick.

A 6th round pick in 2024 (where the compensatory pick would be) is worth a 7th in 2023 so you do not need to get better than a 6th to increase the value over the compensatory pick, a 6th is actually an increase. Now is losing the value of Mattison this year worth it? I think so. The offense seems to take a big step back every time Mattison is on the field, not necessarily because Mattison is bad, but because defenses just don't respect him and instead focus on stopping the pass. Chandler might be able to get that respect as the #2 and the Vikings might be able to not miss a step with him on the field, Cook would not need to play as much and the Vikings offense would be better.
That’s cool. Appreciate the clarification.

I’d rather see the Vikings get a player for Mattison, anyway. I think patience is the key. Somebody’s RB1 will go down, and they’ll be in need. For once I’d like to see the Vikings on the positive end of a desperation move.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:19 pm We just cut 3 of our former 3rd round picks. Rick should have been gone long ago. Such wasted time.
I still get annoyed looking at the 8 1st rounders from 2013-2018. That range was picked at the time because it gave 3 years for the 2018 class to have their generally agreed upon time to get adjusted to the NFL. It was in 2021 when I originally looked it up.

1st round: Mike Hughes

1st round: (no pick, Sam Bradford trade)

1st round: Laquon Treadwell

1st round: Trae Waynes

2014:
1st round: Barr, Bridgewater

2013:
1st Round: Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Cliff wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:41 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:19 pm We just cut 3 of our former 3rd round picks. Rick should have been gone long ago. Such wasted time.
I still get annoyed looking at the 8 1st rounders from 2013-2018. That range was picked at the time because it gave 3 years for the 2018 class to have their generally agreed upon time to get adjusted to the NFL. It was in 2021 when I originally looked it up.

1st round: Mike Hughes

1st round: (no pick, Sam Bradford trade)

1st round: Laquon Treadwell

1st round: Trae Waynes

2014:
1st round: Barr, Bridgewater

2013:
1st Round: Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson
That is a painful trip down memory lane...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 am Muse, Hairston, McCloud, Nickerson, Wyatt Davis (my source may have mistaken this with Jesse). I also don't see the official waiving of Mannion, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
The #Vikings are cutting QB Sean Mannion after doing so with Kellen Mond, source said. Mannion could return on the practice squad.
1:48 PM · Aug 30, 2022·TweetDeck Web App Ian Rapoport
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 am Muse, Hairston, McCloud, Nickerson, Wyatt Davis (my source may have mistaken this with Jesse). I also don't see the official waiving of Mannion, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
The #Vikings are cutting QB Sean Mannion after doing so with Kellen Mond, source said. Mannion could return on the practice squad.
Thank goodness. Long overdue. It's time to go into coaching, Sean.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Not surprised that Mond and Mannion has been cut, they are both awful
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm
Mannion goes to the practice squad? Why?

:wallbang:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
Source says #Vikings have waived WR Dan Chisena. Looks like they'll have five wide receivers on 53 at end of day.

Wondering if we may pick up Tyler Johnson, after the bucs cut him. Gophers standout.

Also heard rumors we are in talks with trading for Jalen Reagor of the Ealges, likely due to his PR abilities mostly.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Foreman44 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:17 am
soflavike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:57 am

Mond has decent physical skills, but his vision, accuracy and decision making were too weak to even develop. Better to cut bait and go with Mullens.

Does this mean we're keeping Mr. Personality, Sean Mannion on the roster?
Just a thought. So many down on Mond, Maybe hi is a slower learner, takes longer to grasp. I know that is not a good thing in the NFL. Mond played to my understanding 3-4 yrs at Texas A.M. I understand he didn’t do squat until his final year. I as a Alabama diehard recall his final game against Bama. He lost but tore us up, Bama’s D couldn’t stop him. We had to outscore them,.... Point Mond didn’t do much until his final year. Evidently he had the talent.just took awhile to get there.

How much game experience does he have, 3-5 pre season games, probably half games. I know that may not be a benefit to him. Some guys like Mahomes, Hubert can grab quickly. If he had the game experience of Mannion for example. How would he look.

We may never see that as a Viking fan. Maybe regret in the future,

Just a thought
I'm hoping they want Mond to clear waivers and get him on the practice squad because I agree with you that he played well enough in his limited snaps to continue to show if he can develop.

Someone posted the Vikings want to put Mannion on the practice squad. What a waste that would be between the two of them if they want to keep the option on one.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:35 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:17 am

Just a thought. So many down on Mond, Maybe hi is a slower learner, takes longer to grasp. I know that is not a good thing in the NFL. Mond played to my understanding 3-4 yrs at Texas A.M. I understand he didn’t do squat until his final year. I as a Alabama diehard recall his final game against Bama. He lost but tore us up, Bama’s D couldn’t stop him. We had to outscore them,.... Point Mond didn’t do much until his final year. Evidently he had the talent.just took awhile to get there.

How much game experience does he have, 3-5 pre season games, probably half games. I know that may not be a benefit to him. Some guys like Mahomes, Hubert can grab quickly. If he had the game experience of Mannion for example. How would he look.

We may never see that as a Viking fan. Maybe regret in the future,

Just a thought
I'm hoping they want Mond to clear waivers and get him on the practice squad because I agree with you that he played well enough in his limited snaps to continue to show if he can develop.

Someone posted the Vikings want to put Mannion on the practice squad. What a waste that would be between the two of them if they want to keep the option on one.
I hope Mond gets picked up by another team, Mond is garbage
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Watts was cut too, thats a bit of a surprise.
Last edited by JJBreaksRecords on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:47 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:35 pm

You mean Mannion right? The guy thats been a pile of poo since he got here. I bet Mond makes the ps and Mannion's NFL time id done. And thanks to Ricky, this team is way behind the 8 ball starting out with the new management.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

[Pelissero] Trade! The #Vikings are acquiring DT Ross Blacklock from the #Texans, per source.

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate
Trade: The #Texans have traded DT Ross Blacklock to the #Vikings. The two teams will swap late-round picks, per multiple reports.

Blacklock was a 2nd-round pick in 2020 -- via the pick Houston got from Arizona for DeAndre Hopkins.

Editing as more specifics come out:

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
11m
The #Vikings have traded a sixth-round pick to the Texans for DL Ross Blacklock and a seventh, reports
@TomPelissero

That explains the Armon Watts move. Blacklock was the 40th overall pick in the 2020 draft. He had 25 pressures and two sacks last year.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:47 pm

You mean Mannion right? The guy thats been a pile of poo since he got here. I bet Mond makes the ps and Mannion's NFL time id done. And thanks to Ricky, this team is way behind the 8 ball starting out with the new management.
IMO they are both terrible, but at least Mond has a bit of upside, is young, and still has the potential to 'figure it out'. He flashes the arm talent, but is still slow in processing information.

But the rumor is that Mannion is the one more likely to be brought to the PS. This is based on the fact that after the Mullens trade, Mond wasn't even taking snaps in practice in the lead up to the Broncos game. Also, Mannion knows the offense well so if Kirk were to get hurt during the first few weeks, he'd be the more likely sub than Mullens, who is still learning our system.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Current list from nfl.com:

FB Jake Bargas
WR Thomas Hennigan*
WR Myron Mitchell
WR Albert Wilson
TE Shaun Beyer
OT Timon Parris
OG Wyatt Davis