8/14/22 PreSeason: Vikings vs Broncos in Denver

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: 8/14/22 PreSeason: Vikings vs Broncos in Denver

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:54 pm The punter looked fantastic. ISM looked much better at punt returns. Joseph was solid kicking. And the guy who probably saved himself a job is Davidson. He caught everything and looked fast and hard to tackle on at least one play.
That punter is like a cyborg. I swear, he's not human. I sat there with my mouth open at what I was seeing. I have no idea where the Vikings found him but field position is not going to be an issue for the Vikings this year. Holy shooters!

Joseph looks like he's figured it out. He's in a nice groove.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:58 pm By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
You mean the Sean Mannion that nearly threw 2 pick sixes that were luckily dropped by their respective defenders and another ball that should have been picked but wasn't, and then the same Mannion who was strip-sacked for a defensive TD, sucked less than the Mond who had at least 3 easy catches dropped by his receivers?

Stats don't tell the whole story of the respective performances of the Vikings QBs in this last game. Not by a long shot. Mannion not only managed the above, but he threw at least another 2-3 balls to well-covered receivers that were batted down. Nearly every pass he completed required the targeted receiver to reach way up to snag the ball, and while some managed to do that, it exposes the receiver to injury every time and almost ensures the receiver can't turn up field quickly and try to gain yards after the catch.

Mannion was god-awful against the Broncos.

As for Mond, he needs time and coaching before we'll know what the Vikings have there, if anything. He made some mistakes, was under unreal pass rush pressure for much of his time under center, but at least made some nice throws and the passes were catchable. He made his share of mistakes as well as Texas Vike noted, but Mannion was awful by comparison.

Watch the game if you haven't. If you saw something different with Mannion's play than I did I'd love to hear what it was.
I never said anything about how they played. I just said the stats indicated that Mannion outplayed Mond. I watched highlights and what you said about Mannion playing horrible is accurate. I also watched Mond play and he played slightly less horrible. Either way they both sucked.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:58 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:54 pm

I am disagreeing some. I am bnot saying he was all world but what could mond do....Looked to me some catches were dropped. Defense came in like they were not even blocked. No time to pass at all.

I would still rather have him than Mannion. He sucked before this year. Haven’t seen Mullen’s to judge him
By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
The fumble by Mannion that won't show up in the passing stats:

How does a vet pro QB protect the ball so poorly?
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:05 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:54 pm The punter looked fantastic. ISM looked much better at punt returns. Joseph was solid kicking. And the guy who probably saved himself a job is Davidson. He caught everything and looked fast and hard to tackle on at least one play.
That punter is like a cyborg. I swear, he's not human. I sat there with my mouth open at what I was seeing. I have no idea where the Vikings found him but field position is not going to be an issue for the Vikings this year. Holy shooters!

Joseph looks like he's figured it out. He's in a nice groove.
Joseph has it figured out in PS games. I doubt he has this much success in real games, but I will have mt fingers crossed.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:58 pm
By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
The fumble by Mannion that won't show up in the passing stats:

How does a vet pro QB protect the ball so poorly?
Right. And thats why I hope Mond gets the shot at QB3 and not Mannion. Mannion has been in the NFL since the time of jesus, and Mond just got his only real TC/preseason time. We know if either get in, the game is lost, go with the young guy and see if he can develope.