8/14/22 PreSeason: Vikings vs Broncos in Denver

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

8/14/22 PreSeason: Vikings vs Broncos in Denver

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I was at a birthday party until just before halftime and tune in just in time to see Joseph kick a 46 yard FG.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 8/14/22 PreSeason: Vikings vs Broncos in Denver

Massive punt by Wright. Over 60 yards in the air and a slight bounce forward ended up being 68 yards.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Muse dropping simple passes putting his roster spot in jeopardy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Another 65 yard in the air punt by Wright. Bounced into the end zone for 71 yards for a TB, but I'll take 51 yard net every time.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Greg The LEG Joseph from 58.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Mond and Mannion both needs to go
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:54 pm Mond and Mannion both needs to go
By the box score they both sucked, but Mond sucked more. Yeah they both need to go.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Well, we may have an All-Pro punter in our hands!
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:00 pm Muse dropping simple passes putting his roster spot in jeopardy.
This is why he is a 7th round pick
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bisi hurt his leg and the HC said he would provide an update after further evaluation. He seemed concerned. Depth is important. Wright banged the ball very well and the execution for the FGs was spot on. He also seems pleased with LBer Brian A. Of course the questions turned to backup QB and I get the feeling Man and Mond will both be cut. He wanted to say both are done but he can't do that and the move has already be made anyway.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:25 pm Greg The LEG Joseph from 58.
His nickname fit that kick. Franchise record is 56 so he might break it.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:47 am
VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:54 pm Mond and Mannion both needs to go
By the box score they both sucked, but Mond sucked more. Yeah they both need to go.
I am disagreeing some. I am bnot saying he was all world but what could mond do....Looked to me some catches were dropped. Defense came in like they were not even blocked. No time to pass at all.

I would still rather have him than Mannion. He sucked before this year. Haven’t seen Mullen’s to judge him
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:54 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:47 am
I am disagreeing some. I am bnot saying he was all world but what could mond do....Looked to me some catches were dropped. Defense came in like they were not even blocked. No time to pass at all.

I would still rather have him than Mannion. He sucked before this year. Haven’t seen Mullen’s to judge him
By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:58 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:54 pm

By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
I just finished watching a DVR recording of last night's game. #61 Pariss (I think. I can't find it online, oddly. Pretty sure I'm right on the number. The dude was playing LT in the 2nd half) was unbelievably BAD and just let Nick Bonitto fly by him for back to back sacks. By my count, he allowed 3 sacks total and was a revolving door at LT.

Mond was just as he's been all preseason: inconsistent with rare flashes that make you go, "OK, might be something there". He dropped a dime into ISM's bucket on a beauty of a sideline route. Next play he completely missed Muse on a short route and it was a terrible choice anyway, as the Bronco's commentators pointed out, as he was triple covered. Mond also made a terrible decision on 4th and goal from the 5 or so. He saw pressure, so he rolled to his left... but then wasn't able to throw against his body. You could see KOC correct him after the play on that poor decision. Overall, he looked bad, but got no help from a terrible OL. Our depth is pretty weak, except at WR and RB.

The punter looked fantastic. ISM looked much better at punt returns. Joseph was solid kicking. And the guy who probably saved himself a job is Davidson. He caught everything and looked fast and hard to tackle on at least one play.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:58 pm By the stats Mond sucked more than Mannion. True Muse dropped a couple. I don't know if Mannion's receivers dropped any. Mond got sacked 4 times to Mannion's one. It could be all on the line, but Mond could have perhaps avoided getting sacked.
You mean the Sean Mannion that nearly threw 2 pick sixes that were luckily dropped by their respective defenders and another ball that should have been picked but wasn't, and then the same Mannion who was strip-sacked for a defensive TD, sucked less than the Mond who had at least 3 easy catches dropped by his receivers?

Stats don't tell the whole story of the respective performances of the Vikings QBs in this last game. Not by a long shot. Mannion not only managed the above, but he threw at least another 2-3 balls to well-covered receivers that were batted down. Nearly every pass he completed required the targeted receiver to reach way up to snag the ball, and while some managed to do that, it exposes the receiver to injury every time and almost ensures the receiver can't turn up field quickly and try to gain yards after the catch.

Mannion was god-awful against the Broncos.

As for Mond, he needs time and coaching before we'll know what the Vikings have there, if anything. He made some mistakes, was under unreal pass rush pressure for much of his time under center, but at least made some nice throws and the passes were catchable. He made his share of mistakes as well as Texas Vike noted, but Mannion was awful by comparison.

Watch the game if you haven't. If you saw something different with Mannion's play than I did I'd love to hear what it was.