Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

Post by Texas Vike »

cogitator wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:28 pm Why do I get the feeling if Spielman was still around, he would have said - A seventh round pick!! No way, those things are gold!
Totally. He would have also waited UNTIL Cousins gets hurt, and then panick-traded a 1st for someone talented but with major durability issues or otherwise questionable. :lol:
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

cogitator wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:28 pm Why do I get the feeling if Spielman was still around, he would have said - A seventh round pick!! No way, those things are gold!
He would have hung up the phone :lol:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

The trade has one tiny condition. Mullens has to be active for one game this season. It's also not a 7th round pick next season, but the season after. Obviously Mullens was going to be cut and the 49ers decided something, that's almost nothing, is better than actual nothing and not one other team was willing to give them anything for Mullens.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:11 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:34 pm The Vikings went from two QBs at the backup spot who require a lot to go right for them to win...to now 3 QBs who need a lot to go right for them to win.

He has 7 wins (7-13 on his career) and the average points given up by the D in those wins was 11.7. His only two wins against teams scoring 20 or more points required a TD from the STs or defense. Mannion or Mond could do that.
I have to agree with you on this one. Mullens has more experience, but in terms of what he's done with that experience, he doesn't inspire more confidence in me than any of the QBs on the roster not named Cousins.

On its face, too, the Vikings traded a 7th for him. Not exactly a king's ransom.

I think we all need to face the fact that if Cousins goes down or out for any extended period of time it's going to be a long season unless the Vikings have a Keenum on the roster and we just don't know it yet.

Speaking of Keenum, and perhaps you know this Stump, how did Keenum do in the preseason in 2017? Any indication he might outperform as the 3rd string QB that year?
He was very mediocre. Good passer rating but averaged 6.8 YPA and I remember people (not necessarily on here) saying he wasn't a good enough backup and that the Vikings should be looking to upgrade.

I don't think this is a bad move, I just think compared to what we have at TE at the 2 and 3 spots, guys who will actually contribute even if the starter stays healthy, upgrading at QB 2 with a guy who is still really bad is pretty pointless.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

With Mullens at least the Vikings have a chance at winning a game if Cousins cant play . If they played either Mond or Mannion there would be absolutely no chance .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:11 am The trade has one tiny condition. Mullens has to be active for one game this season. It's also not a 7th round pick next season, but the season after. Obviously Mullens was going to be cut and the 49ers decided something, that's almost nothing, is better than actual nothing and not one other team was willing to give them anything for Mullens.
You mean the Raiders
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 pm
Totally. He would have also waited UNTIL Cousins gets hurt, and then panick-traded a 1st for someone talented but with major durability issues or otherwise questionable. :lol:
That is very true, that happened with Bradford, he had a great first year with the Vikings and then the next season Bradford got hurt and that was that, I am glad Speilman is gone and we do not have to worry about that anymore
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Angels Wings wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:41 pm
He would have hung up the phone :lol:
Speilman would have done a trade down in the 1st providing we get the Raiders 7th rounder and Mullens. That would have taken us out of a top 15 position into mid/late 20s in round one but giving us a worthless golden oldie 7th. There would have been a trade down somewhere with him in charge.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:38 am I don't think this is a bad move, I just think compared to what we have at TE at the 2 and 3 spots, guys who will actually contribute even if the starter stays healthy, upgrading at QB 2 with a guy who is still really bad is pretty pointless.
I agree. I know a lot of people on here are happy with Mullens but I just don't see anything very exciting there. Yes, he's played in a good number of pro games and thrown a decent number of TDs in those games, but he's almost even in terms of picks he's thrown. I also see nothing special about him physically. He seems like a slightly more talented version of Mannion.

I still think Mond should be getting a serious look at #2, and I hope KOC gives him that chance.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:16 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:38 am I don't think this is a bad move, I just think compared to what we have at TE at the 2 and 3 spots, guys who will actually contribute even if the starter stays healthy, upgrading at QB 2 with a guy who is still really bad is pretty pointless.
I agree. I know a lot of people on here are happy with Mullens but I just don't see anything very exciting there. Yes, he's played in a good number of pro games and thrown a decent number of TDs in those games, but he's almost even in terms of picks he's thrown. I also see nothing special about him physically. He seems like a slightly more talented version of Mannion.

I still think Mond should be getting a serious look at #2, and I hope KOC gives him that chance.
I hope Mond gets cut, he is just not starter material
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Mullen is 6'1" with a pop gun arm. There's nothing to get excited about. Mannion is 6'6" with a strong arm. At least he can throw a football which will keep the defense back and he has good height which can't hurt. Looks like it's a 3 way battle now. They are almost better off keeping Mullen because he has game experience. I have no fight in this battle. It don't matter to me. The coaches see these guys day in and out. Maybe they will agree to just flip a coin. Mond just started so he's getting the chance. KOC felt we needed to bring Mullen in to compete. Something forced him to do that.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:08 pm

Mullen is 6'1" with a pop gun arm. There's nothing to get excited about. Mannion is 6'6" with a strong arm. At least he can throw a football which will keep the defense back and he has good height which can't hurt. Looks like it's a 3 way battle now. They are almost better off keeping Mullen because he has game experience. I have no fight in this battle. It don't matter to me. The coaches see these guys day in and out. Maybe they will agree to just flip a coin. Mond just started so he's getting the chance. KOC felt we needed to bring Mullen in to compete. Something forced him to do that.
That something is Mond throwing 2 interceptions in a preseason game and Mannion not being much better
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:52 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:11 am The trade has one tiny condition. Mullens has to be active for one game this season. It's also not a 7th round pick next season, but the season after. Obviously Mullens was going to be cut and the 49ers decided something, that's almost nothing, is better than actual nothing and not one other team was willing to give them anything for Mullens.
You mean the Raiders
Sorry got that mixed up. Yes of course the Raiders.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:04 pm

KOC has given Mond that chance. As stated in A Knight's Tale he has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found absolutely lacking. I'm not saying cut him immediately, but it won't bother me if they do.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:51 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:04 pm

KOC has given Mond that chance. As stated in A Knight's Tale he has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found absolutely lacking. I'm not saying cut him immediately, but it won't bother me if they do.
So after a rookie season where he didn't play and two preseason games where he did, one of which he made some nice throws and plays and the other where he made some mistakes, the jury is in on him from your perspective?

VikingsFan84 and you are tough customers!