Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

Post by Texas Vike »

makila
Franchise Player

Re: Vikings trade 7th round pick for Raiders' QB Nick Mullens

Post by makila »

Well ok, think we all kinda saw something on the horizon. Nothing special. Hopefully just can be a serviceable backup if needed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... llNi00.htm

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:44 am Well ok, think we all kinda saw something on the horizon. Nothing special. Hopefully just can be a serviceable backup if needed.

I love the price. 7th rounder? Yes, please.

I also love his record and his stats. Looks like a solid move to me: an instant upgrade to our QB2 spot. Glad they made a move. Mannion and Mond weren't good enough.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Good, Mannion gone (or to PS) and Mond as qb3. I think Mond can learn a lot. Especially is KC is as good of a qb teacher as people think he is.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Mullins played well last week against Vikings last week but I will give Vikings credit for trading for a backup quarterback when it is needed
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:49 am
makila wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:44 am Well ok, think we all kinda saw something on the horizon. Nothing special. Hopefully just can be a serviceable backup if needed.

I love the price. 7th rounder? Yes, please.

I also love his record and his stats. Looks like a solid move to me: an instant upgrade to our QB2 spot. Glad they made a move. Mannion and Mond weren't good enough.
Yup I like the price too. It's a position of need right now. I know he isn't a future qb, have no unrealistic expectation. 7ths we're happy if they make the roster in many cases. So this is fine price for a rostered qb that may be serviceable in a game or two if needed. Cut Mannion. Keep mond as qb3 and see if KOC and the offensive staff can work with him through a full season cycle.

Mullens is on a one year deal.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Great trade.

Honestly, when the Vikings played the Raiders and I saw that McDaniels’ boy Jarret Stidham was QB2, I was thinking that Nick Mullins was exactly the kind of guy the Vikings need as QB2. Solid, not spectacular. Can hold it together for a half or a game or two. You don’t need your guy to find magic and go 11-3 like Keenum did. You need a guy who won’t fall apart. We’ve got that now.

So long, Mr. Mannion. It’s been nice knowing you. Keep Mond for PS (he’ll clear waivers easily) … or don’t.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

He provides the insurance in case KC goes down needed to still be able to win a game.
Mannion and Mond do not look as if they could do so. A capable backup that can win a game when called on is needed.
Mullens assumes backup role, Mannion cut, Mond to the PS and has to learn the system this year, or he is probably out next year.
Vikings go into the season with their scouts emphasis on finding a future starting QB.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The Vikings went from two QBs at the backup spot who require a lot to go right for them to win...to now 3 QBs who need a lot to go right for them to win.

He has 7 wins (7-13 on his career) and the average points given up by the D in those wins was 11.7. His only two wins against teams scoring 20 or more points required a TD from the STs or defense. Mannion or Mond could do that.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:34 pm The Vikings went from two QBs at the backup spot who require a lot to go right for them to win...to now 3 QBs who need a lot to go right for them to win.

He has 7 wins (7-13 on his career) and the average points given up by the D in those wins was 11.7. His only two wins against teams scoring 20 or more points required a TD from the STs or defense. Mannion or Mond could do that.
I have to agree with you on this one. Mullens has more experience, but in terms of what he's done with that experience, he doesn't inspire more confidence in me than any of the QBs on the roster not named Cousins.

On its face, too, the Vikings traded a 7th for him. Not exactly a king's ransom.

I think we all need to face the fact that if Cousins goes down or out for any extended period of time it's going to be a long season unless the Vikings have a Keenum on the roster and we just don't know it yet.

Speaking of Keenum, and perhaps you know this Stump, how did Keenum do in the preseason in 2017? Any indication he might outperform as the 3rd string QB that year?
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Oh yeah, I think it's all about expectations. If you need a guy to start a game, that can at least...score 2-3 drives... and hope your D plays great for a win, he's ok. If you are wanting someone that has a winning record if they need to start 8 games, he isn't your guy. Yes, there are others out there are potentially capable of 2-3 scoring drives a game. We needed to get one. He's just one of those guys.

My personal opinion is neither Mond nor Mannion can do that, so it's an upgrade in my eyes. I'm still fine with us picking Mond as a development guy (I just wanted them to spend the actual resources to develop if they thought he was worthy of the pick). I hope they keep him around to see if this offensive staff can get something out of the raw talent. If not, move on.

1 yr, 2m contract that they used a 7th to get. I'm fine with that. That's simply my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I completely understand those who think that is possible with Mond or Mannion.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:11 pm
I think we all need to face the fact that if Cousins goes down or out for any extended period of time it's going to be a long season unless the Vikings have a Keenum on the roster and we just don't know it yet.

I think the question is who, out of Mannion, Mond, and Mullens (the M team!), is the most likely to get you a couple of wins if Cousins should get injured?

If it's Mullens, which is where I'd put my money, the following question is: is it worth a 7th round pick? My answer is, heck yes it is.

Nobody is seeing Mullens as any kind of savior. QB2 is an important position for a team w/ playoff aspirations. I'm glad our FO agree with me on that and did something about the situation.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:34 pm The Vikings went from two QBs at the backup spot who require a lot to go right for them to win...to now 3 QBs who need a lot to go right for them to win.

First of all, to be fair, Mullens only has 5 wins. He’s 5-12 as a starter, according to Pro Football Reference. But even 5 wins is 5 more than Mannion and Mond have combined.

He’s also thrown 26 TD passes in his NFL career. Mond has never thrown one. Mannion finally got his first TD pass — in his 7th year in the league — during his lone start last year. Mullens threw for 260 and 3 TDs in his very first start in a win over the Raiders.

Look, let’s be realistic. Nobody is saying that Nick Mullens is the second coming of Brady-Bledsoe. But unlike either Mannion or Mond, Mullens can hold the team together for a half or a game. Longer than that, and we’re screwed, no matter who the backup is. Also, cutting Mannion frees up another $1 million in cap space (although I don’t know what they’re going to pay Mullens).

For a conditional 7th-round pick in 2024, this is the right move.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:35 pm If it's Mullens, which is where I'd put my money, the following question is: is it worth a 7th round pick? My answer is, heck yes it is.

Nobody is seeing Mullens as any kind of savior. QB2 is an important position for a team w/ playoff aspirations. I'm glad our FO agree with me on that and did something about the situation.
I think it's a good move to bring in some established veteran competition based on what we've seen, especially if the Vikings believe they can compete this year (which they obviously do).
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Why do I get the feeling if Spielman was still around, he would have said - A seventh round pick!! No way, those things are gold!