Top Tier QB's

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

phantom
Backup

Re: Top Tier QB's

Post by phantom »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm
phantom wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:18 pm

I would say the majority of Super Bowls have been one by Hall of Fame QB's.
I just did a count and so far 28 of the 56 Super Bowls the QB on the winning team is in the HOF. That's not counting the Brady, Big Ben, Eli Manning, A Rodgers, Wilson or Pat Mahomes teams. Brady is a certain HoFer and the others have a good shot at it so that number will grow. If not for being on the winning team in the Super Bowl Eli wouldn't even be in consideration. Is Eli truly great or just happened to be in the right place at the right time?
Another count has a total of 32 different QBs to play on the Super Bowl winner in it's 56 years. That means 24 of the Super Bowl winners featured a repeating QB.
Yikes, Did you include Brees?
The Northern Goshawk "phantom of the forest"
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

phantom wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:03 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm
I just did a count and so far 28 of the 56 Super Bowls the QB on the winning team is in the HOF. That's not counting the Brady, Big Ben, Eli Manning, A Rodgers, Wilson or Pat Mahomes teams. Brady is a certain HoFer and the others have a good shot at it so that number will grow. If not for being on the winning team in the Super Bowl Eli wouldn't even be in consideration. Is Eli truly great or just happened to be in the right place at the right time?
Another count has a total of 32 different QBs to play on the Super Bowl winner in it's 56 years. That means 24 of the Super Bowl winners featured a repeating QB.
Yes I did, but I forgot to mention him in the likely HoFer status.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:52 pm
phantom wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:03 pm

That is 38/40 out of 52 future/current HOF QBs who won SBs versus 12/14 of 52, depending on if Eli gets in. That means even taking Eli out of the mix, about 3/4 of SBs have been won by a HOF QB, which means Kwesi was absolutely right, you are far more likely to win the SB with a HOF QB than without one.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:52 pm
That is 38/40 out of 52 future/current HOF QBs who won SBs versus 12/14 of 52, depending on if Eli gets in. That means even taking Eli out of the mix, about 3/4 of SBs have been won by a HOF QB, which means Kwesi was absolutely right, you are far more likely to win the SB with a HOF QB than without one.
Some of these QBs get into the HOF because of a SB win. For example Namath who had one magical season is in the HOF and threw more ints than TDs is his career. Griese is a HOFer but don't overlook that team as a whole. He was a perfect game manager. Just those two examples show totally different QB style. Kwesi needs to evaluate his roster and fix the problems so that our team has a solid group of players.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Totally going to side track now.

If Eli goes into hof, so should Jim Plunkett. Yes I am biased. Haha. He is first cousin of my grandma.

They are the two, two time winning, sb qbs not in the hof! Plunkett has a super bowl mvp too.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 am

Some of these QBs get into the HOF because of a SB win. For example Namath who had one magical season is in the HOF and threw more ints than TDs is his career. Griese is a HOFer but don't overlook that team as a whole. He was a perfect game manager. Just those two examples show totally different QB style.
Namath had more than just one magical season and was an All-Pro 4 times. Griese was an all-pro 2 times and pro bowler 8 times.

It takes more than just winning the SB to make the HOF as evidenced by 20 SBs being won by non-HOF QBs. Stafford for instance, will need to do a lot more than just win that last SB and will need to completely turn his career around with the Rams to make the HOF. Flacco will never be considered for the HOF. Foles, Brad Johnson and Dilfer won't either.
Kwesi needs to evaluate his roster and fix the problems so that our team has a solid group of players.
I mostly agree with this, except I think he needs to evaluate the roster and cut the fat so he an build a team that has a GREAT group of players. Solid only gets us to the playoffs, greatness will finally win us the SB.
phantom
Backup

Post by phantom »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:48 am
Some of these QBs get into the HOF because of a SB win. For example Namath who had one magical season is in the HOF and threw more ints than TDs is his career. Griese is a HOFer but don't overlook that team as a whole. He was a perfect game manager. Just those two examples show totally different QB style.
Namath had more than just one magical season and was an All-Pro 4 times. Griese was an all-pro 2 times and pro bowler 8 times.

It takes more than just winning the SB to make the HOF as evidenced by 20 SBs being won by non-HOF QBs. Stafford for instance, will need to do a lot more than just win that last SB and will need to completely turn his career around with the Rams to make the HOF. Flacco will never be considered for the HOF. Foles, Brad Johnson and Dilfer won't either.
Kwesi needs to evaluate his roster and fix the problems so that our team has a solid group of players.
I mostly agree with this, except I think he needs to evaluate the roster and cut the fat so he an build a team that has a GREAT group of players. Solid only gets us to the playoffs, greatness will finally win us the SB.
HOF in there time. A lot less throwing in that era. Much more conservative offenses.
The Northern Goshawk "phantom of the forest"
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Some of these QBs get into the HOF because of a SB win. For example Namath who had one magical season is in the HOF and threw more ints than TDs is his career. Griese is a HOFer but don't overlook that team as a whole. He was a perfect game manager. Just those two examples show totally different QB style. Kwesi needs to evaluate his roster and fix the problems so that our team has a solid group of players.
It's the Hall of Fame. Namath based on his play does not belong, but he's so famous he does. Griese ain't all that either, but the only undefeated season in NFL history. If I had a vote Eli and Plunkett would not get mine.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am
It's the Hall of Fame. Namath based on his play does not belong, but he's so famous he does. Griese ain't all that either, but the only undefeated season in NFL history. If I had a vote Eli and Plunkett would not get mine.
I wasn't knocking these players. Namath could do everything on the field including run it as he did at Bama. Morral won many games that undefeated year. What I was getting at is Kewsi pointing this fact out. We all know this stuff. We also know the better QB you have the better chance you have. If you don't have Mahomes or Brady you can still win. Every team has weak spots. But our weak spots are much to weak. He needs to fix this stuff. I have seen nothing so far. Bradberry is getting beat to death so far. He don't see this? If so don't wait. Take action now. There's not much time left.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am
I wasn't knocking these players. Namath could do everything on the field including run it as he did at Bama. Morral won many games that undefeated year. What I was getting at is Kewsi pointing this fact out. We all know this stuff. We also know the better QB you have the better chance you have. If you don't have Mahomes or Brady you can still win. Every team has weak spots. But our weak spots are much to weak. He needs to fix this stuff. I have seen nothing so far. Bradberry is getting beat to death so far. He don't see this? If so don't wait. Take action now. There's not much time left.
That's the report from camp. Seems like we need to cut our losses there.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:04 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:00 pm
What's the plan at center if Bradbury doesn't make it? I was kind of hoping he'd take the Vikings not picking up his option year personally and would blow it up this year. Sure doesn't sound like that is happening, and if not, that puts both right guard and center up in the air yet again.

Sounds like Jesse Davis will win the starting right guard job. Not sure who steps in at center though.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:52 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:04 pm
What's the plan at center if Bradbury doesn't make it? I was kind of hoping he'd take the Vikings not picking up his option year personally and would blow it up this year. Sure doesn't sound like that is happening, and if not, that puts both right guard and center up in the air yet again.

Sounds like Jesse Davis will win the starting right guard job. Not sure who steps in at center though.
I think the reason they had Jesse Davis first string RG is because they saw the writing on the wall that Reed will be replacing Bradbury.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:39 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:52 pm

I think the reason they had Jesse Davis first string RG is because they saw the writing on the wall that Reed will be replacing Bradbury.
I think it will be Reed and Davis also. Hopefully Ingram can get in the lineup mid season. They might stick with Bradbury which basically means when he goes up against a better DT he will get destroyed and that will impact the O.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Judge Sue Robinson has determined a 6 game suspension for Deshaun Watson. I'm wondering what makes her believe she is qualified to determine his suspension. I'd guess she thinks it's her law degree. The NFL is appealing wanting to make it the entire season.

RealGM Wiretap
NFL Appeals Deshaun Watson's Six-Game Suspension
AUG 3, 2022 3:58 PM

The NFL has filed an appeal of the six-game suspension given to Deshaun Watson by Judge Sue L. Robinson.

Robinson found Watson guilty of violating the NFL's personal conduct policy from his allegations of sexual misconduct. The NFL proposed suspending Watson for the entire 2022 season and that he not be permitted to return until he satisfied certain conditions for reinstatement.

The Cleveland Browns acquired Watson via trade in the offseason.

REALGM STAFF REPORT
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:32 am Judge Sue Robinson has determined a 6 game suspension for Deshaun Watson. I'm wondering what makes her believe she is qualified to determine his suspension. I'd guess she thinks it's her law degree. The NFL is appealing wanting to make it the entire season.

RealGM Wiretap
NFL Appeals Deshaun Watson's Six-Game Suspension
AUG 3, 2022 3:58 PM

The NFL has filed an appeal of the six-game suspension given to Deshaun Watson by Judge Sue L. Robinson.

Robinson found Watson guilty of violating the NFL's personal conduct policy from his allegations of sexual misconduct. The NFL proposed suspending Watson for the entire 2022 season and that he not be permitted to return until he satisfied certain conditions for reinstatement.

The Cleveland Browns acquired Watson via trade in the offseason.

REALGM STAFF REPORT
I really hope its at least a season, and a huge fine as well. The NFL can save a little face that way