Rules Changes that would Improve the game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rules Changes that would Improve the game

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I've seen defenders get penalized for basically giving the QB a dirty look. It has gotten that bad.
However, the rule change I want most in the last five minutes of the game any offensive play that does not gain yardage the clock stops. The end of the kneel down. The most boring and worthless play in football and a reward to a defense that can get a tackle for loss.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:09 am

You don't think there is strategy in the NFL currently?! :shock: :lol:

I get what you're saying about the rules as they currently stand. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get frustrated a few times a game. But the fact of the matter is this game isn't played for the fans. It is a career for these guys. They deserve to work in an environment that is as safe as possible just like you and I do. If they lose a few fans because of it I'm sure they are fine with it if it means they get to go home to their families every night. Just like you and I prefer to do.

The fact is, these guys are simply bigger, faster, stronger than they have ever been. And will likely get bigger, faster and stronger in the future. I like big hits as much as the next guy. And I agree that the qb's are coddled more than ever before. But I don't want to see a guy die out there simply so as a fan I can see a brutal collision. If the league is making rule changes to try and make a violent game a little bit safer, I'm fine adjusting to the rules, even if they drive me crazy at times.
The only safe choice regarding American Tackle Football is not to play. There will be danger for anybody who plays it. How far to go in the quest to make the game safer is the question. Making rules to tackle gently is flat out weird. Do we switch to flag and take out tackling completely?
My favorite summer sport is Sprint Car racing. In football when players go out of bounds they trot back out for the next play. In Sprint racing when they go out of bounds it’s over the fence and out of the park. Though it’s safer than it was years ago it’s still one of the more dangerous forms of Motorsports. Football has its share of gruesome injuries but we still lose a driver every so often. Some sports are inherently dangerous regardless of how the rules are tweaked. Football is one of those sports and some of the injuries over the years have been tough to watch, especially when limbs bend the wrong way in the wrong place. Or the time I saw a Jets player, think it was a receiver named Stingley or something like that. I have seen some brutal injuries in football as well.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

StanM wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:35 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 pm
The only safe choice regarding American Tackle Football is not to play. There will be danger for anybody who plays it. How far to go in the quest to make the game safer is the question. Making rules to tackle gently is flat out weird. Do we switch to flag and take out tackling completely?
My favorite summer sport is Sprint Car racing. In football when players go out of bounds they trot back out for the next play. In Sprint racing when they go out of bounds it’s over the fence and out of the park. Though it’s safer than it was years ago it’s still one of the more dangerous forms of Motorsports. Football has its share of gruesome injuries but we still lose a driver every so often. Some sports are inherently dangerous regardless of how the rules are tweaked. Football is one of those sports and some of the injuries over the years have been tough to watch, especially when limbs bend the wrong way in the wrong place. Or the time I saw a Jets player, think it was a receiver named Stingley or something like that. I have seen some brutal injuries in football as well.
You are right Stan. That was the worst hit in NFL history. Daryl Stingley was a wide receiver for the Patriots, I think. He came across the middle and Jack Tatum of the Raiders hit him so hard and head high that he was completely paralyzed. Stingley never saw it coming. I saw a replay one time and wished I hadn’t seen it. There’s was an article a few years ago stating Tatum never went to see him or talked to him.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Frozen Rope wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 am

You are right Stan. That was the worst hit in NFL history. Daryl Stingley was a wide receiver for the Patriots, I think. He came across the middle and Jack Tatum of the Raiders hit him so hard and head high that he was completely paralyzed. Stingley never saw it coming. I saw a replay one time and wished I hadn’t seen it. There’s was an article a few years ago stating Tatum never went to see him or talked to him.
Yeah, Stingley was wide receiver for the Patriots and Tatum is a jerk for not visiting him or talked to him
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:40 pm

Yeah, Stingley was wide receiver for the Patriots and Tatum is a jerk for not visiting him or talked to him
I get him being afraid to go see him. The braver choice would have been to talk to him, but what do you do or say? In those days the idea was to hit the receiver as hard as possible to make sure he didn't come down with the ball. I don't know if there was any helmet to helmet and if that was allowed then. For all I know Tatum made a great play with horrific results. If anybody is curious recently drafted CB Derek Stingley Jr. is Daryl's grandson.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I was watching that game on TV when it happened. Also the game that Theismans leg broke. Vikings incidents I recall seeing as they happened include Tarkenton laying on the field waving for medical staff to come out after breaking a leg and Kramer convulsing on the field after a big hit. Ah…football memories…
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:56 am

I was watching that game on TV when it happened. Also the game that Theismans leg broke. Vikings incidents I recall seeing as they happened include Tarkenton laying on the field waving for medical staff to come out after breaking a leg and Kramer convulsing on the field after a big hit. Ah…football memories…
That was in preseason also. Tatum made the big hit on Sammy White in the SB and also was involved with the Immaculate Reception bounce back pass. While Tatum never apologized, he was never the same player or person after the terrible accident. Madden once said he “went into a shell.” According to ESPN, former teammates said he never played like “The Assassin” he became known as before the Stingley hit.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

CharVike wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:14 am
StanM wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:56 am

That was in preseason also. Tatum made the big hit on Sammy White in the SB and also was involved with the Immaculate Reception bounce back pass. While Tatum never apologized, he was never the same player or person after the terrible accident. Madden once said he “went into a shell.” According to ESPN, former teammates said he never played like “The Assassin” he became known as before the Stingley hit.
Your memory is a lot sharper than mine. I remember watching those plays live on tv when they happened but hardly any detail.

Other notable memories include watching the Colts and Johnny Unitas who were pre Vikings favorites. I watched the “Ice Bowl” Bart Starr QB sneak, the “Heidi game” where they cut away to anothe or show and the Immaculate reception. That’s some football history but they were all just another game to me at the time they happened. They were exciting plays but no idea they would end up being immortalized in NFL legend. Speaking of legends the American Football League was considered the inferior league until Broadway Joe predicted the win for NY, another legendary game I watched.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StanM wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:59 am
CharVike wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:14 am
Your memory is a lot sharper than mine. I remember watching those plays live on tv when they happened but hardly any detail.

Other notable memories include watching the Colts and Johnny Unitas who were pre Vikings favorites. I watched the “Ice Bowl” Bart Starr QB sneak, the “Heidi game” where they cut away to anothe or show and the Immaculate reception. That’s some football history but they were all just another game to me at the time they happened. They were exciting plays but no idea they would end up being immortalized in NFL legend. Speaking of legends the American Football League was considered the inferior league until Broadway Joe predicted the win for NY, another legendary game I watched.
Joe Namath was a mediocre QB, but he had style.