Post Draft thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Post Draft thoughts

Post by VikingsVictorious »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am
IIsweet wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am

I am not concerned in the least. Watson, IMO, is a combine, showcase, and measurables guy. He had a great season in the FBS, but didn't he lead all of college football in drops? Maybe not realistic, but I thought he had like 18 drops !!! I may be very wrong.
He was going against FBS CB's. Playing for the most dominant FBS program the past decade. He may have NFL ability, but who was pressing him? Was he just outrunning guys? I do not recall a single DB that was drafted out of an FBS program this year.
I am sure that were some, but not positive. Honestly, a brilliant trade. I would lock Booth up on him all day and I bet he completely shuts him out. Just a very different talent level that they have competed against every day of practice and games!
Plus we added an OL that looks like might be a legit starting OG very soon. That trade, we win all day long IMO.
Think you mean FCS.

As a season-ticket holder at an FCS school, I'll always maintain that the only difference between FCS and FBS is depth. We've come along way in the last 15+ years, and I think it's only a matter of time before the stigma of playing in the FCS is gone. People said the EXACT same things about Cooper Kupp when he was torching the Big Sky conference. No way he'd have success in the NFL only playing in the FCS. They said the same thing about Jared Allen. And Carson Wentz. And Trey Lance. And basically every other kid who dominated the FCS and went on to the NFL.

I saw Watson a handful of games the last couple years, including the National Championship game this season. (Which is hands-down a better format than the stupid Bowl system :whistle: ) and it's clear the guy is a player. Some of the best route-running I have seen. Though I got laughed at when I said the same thing about Kupp years ago. I think he went into a perfect system and I expect him to have success.
The scouting reports I have seen said his route running is poor. The Drops issue 16 out of 120 is HORRIFIC. Certainly some good players have come out of the FCS and it's possible that Watson will turn out to be one of them. He is not going to make me shake in my boots out of fear. Given the choice between Booth or Watson I'd take Booth every time. The Puke also gave us Ed Ingram. One of the most lopsided trades in Vikings favor I have seen since I started watching them in 1970.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am

Think you mean FCS.

As a season-ticket holder at an FCS school, I'll always maintain that the only difference between FCS and FBS is depth. We've come along way in the last 15+ years, and I think it's only a matter of time before the stigma of playing in the FCS is gone. People said the EXACT same things about Cooper Kupp when he was torching the Big Sky conference. No way he'd have success in the NFL only playing in the FCS. They said the same thing about Jared Allen. And Carson Wentz. And Trey Lance. And basically every other kid who dominated the FCS and went on to the NFL.

I saw Watson a handful of games the last couple years, including the National Championship game this season. (Which is hands-down a better format than the stupid Bowl system :whistle: ) and it's clear the guy is a player. Some of the best route-running I have seen. Though I got laughed at when I said the same thing about Kupp years ago. I think he went into a perfect system and I expect him to have success.
The scouting reports I have seen said his route running is poor. The Drops issue 16 out of 120 is HORRIFIC. Certainly some good players have come out of the FCS and it's possible that Watson will turn out to be one of them. He is not going to make me shake in my boots out of fear. Given the choice between Booth or Watson I'd take Booth every time. The Puke also gave us Ed Ingram. One of the most lopsided trades in Vikings favor I have seen since I started watching them in 1970.
I don't recall any that said his route running is poor. That would be shocking to me. I know the tale of the tape on him was he needs work on the route tree as he was able to rely on his 4.4 speed in college. At 6'5 and running a 4.4, it's hard not to rely on just streaking down the field. But in person his routes seemed great to me.

If I was going to knock him at all, I'd say that at 6'5, I don't feel like he did as good as he could have using that height and high-pointing the ball. But I'd be shocked if the reports on him were that his route running was poor. Obviously you can always improve and he'll likely want to improve in this area. But people were watching a different player than I was if they considered his ability in this area "poor".
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:15 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:52 am
I don't recall any that said his route running is poor. That would be shocking to me. I know the tale of the tape on him was he needs work on the route tree as he was able to rely on his 4.4 speed in college. At 6'5 and running a 4.4, it's hard not to rely on just streaking down the field. But in person his routes seemed great to me.

If I was going to knock him at all, I'd say that at 6'5, I don't feel like he did as good as he could have using that height and high-pointing the ball. But I'd be shocked if the reports on him were that his route running was poor. Obviously you can always improve and he'll likely want to improve in this area. But people were watching a different player than I was if they considered his ability in this area "poor".
They must have been watching a different player. It's what I saw before the draft. I remembered not being interested in him for our Vikings during the draft and being overjoyed when the Puke gave us two picks and then drafted him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Per Reports Kellen Mond has overtaken Sean Mannion for the #2/Backup QB role.

That's a status that I believe he never held before.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:15 pm

They must have been watching a different player. It's what I saw before the draft. I remembered not being interested in him for our Vikings during the draft and being overjoyed when the Puke gave us two picks and then drafted him.
You recall which ones? I was bored so I just went and re-read the top 5 scouting reports when you google him and there was not a single one that said his route running was poor. If I get time I'll go check it out again later. Just can't fathom that being a knock on him leading up to the draft after seeing him in person. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23 pm
You recall which ones? I was bored so I just went and re-read the top 5 scouting reports when you google him and there was not a single one that said his route running was poor. If I get time I'll go check it out again later. Just can't fathom that being a knock on him leading up to the draft after seeing him in person. :confused:
No I don't recall which ones, but at least two. A quick google check provided me with a mix of positive and not so positive comments. I wouldn't know the difference between a good route or a bad route if it bit me in the ####. I guess if he gets open the route was good if he doesn't the route was bad. He may not suck as much as I hope he will. However I found additional NFL comparisons of Bryan Edwards and Dontrelle Inman to add to his MV-S comp. If he is to become good I think it will take a few years and I'm not shaking in my boots over fear of him joining the Pukers and Rodgers.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:40 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:33 pm
No I don't recall which ones, but at least two. A quick google check provided me with a mix of positive and not so positive comments. I wouldn't know the difference between a good route or a bad route if it bit me in the ####. I guess if he gets open the route was good if he doesn't the route was bad. He may not suck as much as I hope he will. However I found additional NFL comparisons of Bryan Edwards and Dontrelle Inman to add to his MV-S comp. If he is to become good I think it will take a few years and I'm not shaking in my boots over fear of him joining the Pukers and Rodgers.
We might actually be saying similar things. I just think there's a difference between being a "poor" route runner, and an NFL prospect who needs to improve in that area. The guy is 6'5 and ran like a 4.36 at the combine. He likely didn't rely on a ton of route-running at the college level. Many elite guys in college don't. But I think he's a more than capable route-runner with the ability to improve.

I saw the talk on his drops. 16 in a four year career isn't awful but I see why it's brought up. He only had two his senior year so I don't know how big of an issue it will be in the pros.

I just think he has the making to be a good player and landing in Green Bay I think might be the perfect situation for him. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:57 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:40 pm
We might actually be saying similar things. I just think there's a difference between being a "poor" route runner, and an NFL prospect who needs to improve in that area. The guy is 6'5 and ran like a 4.36 at the combine. He likely didn't rely on a ton of route-running at the college level. Many elite guys in college don't. But I think he's a more than capable route-runner with the ability to improve.

I saw the talk on his drops. 16 in a four year career isn't awful but I see why it's brought up. He only had two his senior year so I don't know how big of an issue it will be in the pros.

I just think he has the making to be a good player and landing in Green Bay I think might be the perfect situation for him. :confused:
Fair enough. We all know he's tall and fast. I don't wish total failure on him, but I sure hope you are wrong about the bolded above.