2022 schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Texas Vike »

psjordan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:21 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:25 pm To be completely frank, I was not at all impressed by the moves KAM made in this draft... in KAM's case at least, the decisions he made in this last draft offer a unique opportunity for more direct comparisons with his publicly-stated logic and reasoning behind those decisions than most GMs
Well that's an opinion, and yes KAM made some "unconventional" moves in the draft. Did you see our draft room? I did not get the sense that anyone there was saying or implying "hey KAM, go ahead, but if this doesn't work by this time next year you're fired".

There is no "Mel Kiper vs. Jets" outrage about KAM's approach. Most articles/recaps I've seen by anyone reasonably close to the game at worst have said it was a head-scratching gamble and lets-hope-this-works for the Vike's sake. Some have been very upbeat if not complimentary. But to fire a brand new GM after one draft? That would have to be close to the worst draft of all time, and it's woefully premature to put this draft in that category.

I'm just glad I don't work for some of the folks on this forum - one year and your'e fired? That's more than a bit unfair unless there is complete and total malfeasance - and there is no way this draft qualifies for that description.

I get people didn't like it. I get there are now two more decent WR's in our division. But I'd ask again, where on the list of GM duties is "keeping divisional teams from getting better"? Wouldn't that that be about 77th on the list of things to tackle as GM? KAM is solely concentrating on making the Vikes better. He took into consideration what he was trading to DET and GB, and STILL thought it was good for the team. The Wilfs hired him for his thoughts on the methodology to make that happen. I'm more than positive (if there is such a thing) that trades with NFCC teams were discussed in the draft room and agreed upon, from the owners on down.

What I don't get is the "give it one season" logic in terms of firing. And it's not that some fans feel that way, it's that some feel that would be a logical thing to do.

The goal in hiring KAM KOC is to change dozens of years of mediocrity, it's not to change it in one draft.
All the rhetoric surrounding KAM when he was hired was focused on his Wall Street experience, his Ivy league economics degree, and his 'analytics' approach to the game. He smartly downplayed that narrative in the press, because, ultimately, all GMs are using analytics nowadays. But I do think one early takeaway from his first draft is this: the conventional 'folklore' or almost 'old-wives tale / superstition' about not trading draft picks with division rivals is something that he simply does not believe in. He traded with Detroit and then GB and thus sent the signal that does not give a rip, he'll deal with anyone. In fact, if you believe in the move you're making, it's doubly good at best and at worst it will be a mutually beneficial transaction. I, for one, like that choice.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:21 am What I don't get is the "give it one season" logic in terms of firing. And it's not that some fans feel that way, it's that some feel that would be a logical thing to do.
That's not what I said, or at least not what I was trying to say.

What I was trying to say is that, due to both KAM's public statements regarding his thought process behind his draft decisions coupled with the specific moves he made and the trade partners he chose, we're going to get a more immediate view of whether his thinking is correct and, by extension, whether he knows what he's doing in his new job as the GM of a pro football team.

I'm not suggesting that he be fired if Jordan Davis single-handedly shuts down the run game of every NFL team he faces this season or the WRs drafted by the Lions and the Packers go on to have single-game record performances while primarily victimizing Cine and Booth in the process. If that were to happen I'd expect KAM to recalibrate his thought process around the draft and come back with a different (and hopefully better) approach, but I have no doubt he wouldn't be fired after a single year, nor would I want him to be fired after such a short time in the position even if it does turn out he massively missed the boat.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:59 pm All the rhetoric surrounding KAM when he was hired was focused on his Wall Street experience, his Ivy league economics degree, and his 'analytics' approach to the game. He smartly downplayed that narrative in the press, because, ultimately, all GMs are using analytics nowadays. But I do think one early takeaway from his first draft is this: the conventional 'folklore' or almost 'old-wives tale / superstition' about not trading draft picks with division rivals is something that he simply does not believe in. He traded with Detroit and then GB and thus sent the signal that does not give a rip, he'll deal with anyone. In fact, if you believe in the move you're making, it's doubly good at best and at worst it will be a mutually beneficial transaction. I, for one, like that choice.
He made what I consider to be a very odd comment regarding the trade back with the Lions. I posted it in another thread but it amounted to a worry that the Lions "were going to make a trade with someone to move up". I can dig it up, but it just sounded odd that KAM would care if the Lions wanted to move up when he should have been more focused on whether the compensation they were offering in the deal made it reasonable for the Vikings to trade that far down in the 1st. It was odd.

Whether trading with teams in the division is an "old wives tale" remains to be seen, does it not? Doing that does mean more direct comparisons not of theoretical relative value between picks and the players chosen with those picks, but at least twice-a-year direct, on-field comparisons of the players chosen, especially when the trades involve positions that directly go against each other in those games.

You can't tell me that if the receivers chosen by the Lions and Packers respectively go on to consistently thrash the defensive backs chosen by the Vikings, those trades won't make KAM look any worse in retrospect.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:59 pm All the rhetoric surrounding KAM when he was hired was focused on his Wall Street experience, his Ivy league economics degree, and his 'analytics' approach to the game. He smartly downplayed that narrative in the press, because, ultimately, all GMs are using analytics nowadays. But I do think one early takeaway from his first draft is this: the conventional 'folklore' or almost 'old-wives tale / superstition' about not trading draft picks with division rivals is something that he simply does not believe in. He traded with Detroit and then GB and thus sent the signal that does not give a rip, he'll deal with anyone. In fact, if you believe in the move you're making, it's doubly good at best and at worst it will be a mutually beneficial transaction. I, for one, like that choice.
He made what I consider to be a very odd comment regarding the trade back with the Lions. I posted it in another thread but it amounted to a worry that the Lions "were going to make a trade with someone to move up". I can dig it up, but it just sounded odd that KAM would care if the Lions wanted to move up when he should have been more focused on whether the compensation they were offering in the deal made it reasonable for the Vikings to trade that far down in the 1st. It was odd.

Whether trading with teams in the division is an "old wives tale" remains to be seen, does it not? Doing that does mean more direct comparisons not of theoretical relative value between picks and the players chosen with those picks, but at least twice-a-year direct, on-field comparisons of the players chosen, especially when the trades involve positions that directly go against each other in those games.

You can't tell me that if the receivers chosen by the Lions and Packers respectively go on to consistently thrash the defensive backs chosen by the Vikings, those trades won't make KAM look any worse in retrospect.
It's a question of whether you let the fear of that outcome coming to fruition keep you from considering trades in your division. I don't deny that it could become a story that fans and media use to criticize him. What I'm saying is that I like that he's not afraid to let it rip. In all aspects of life and in all cultures throughout human history there are elements of folklore--the way elders have done things. There is always a good reason for folklore to exist. But there are also silly, irrational superstitions that the numbers / data just don't support. To me, it's refreshing that he's going for it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This video is very worth watching. It gives a clear indication that they were targeting Cine from the get go and thought they could get him at 32.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Patriots @ Vikings on Thanksgiving
Giants @ Vikings Christmas Eve
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:31 pm Patriots @ Vikings on Thanksgiving
Giants @ Vikings Christmas Eve
:shock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
The Vikings announce they’ll open the 2022 season by hosting the Packers for a 3:25 game at U.S. Bank Stadium on September 11.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:07 pm
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
The Vikings announce they’ll open the 2022 season by hosting the Packers for a 3:25 game at U.S. Bank Stadium on September 11.
That is sweet!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:42 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:07 pm
That is sweet!
Packers often start slow. Rodgers probably won't have much rapport with his new WRs either. I think we open with a W.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:52 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:42 pm

That is sweet!
Packers often start slow. Rodgers probably won't have much rapport with his new WRs either. I think we open with a W.
I agree
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PS1 TBD San Francisco 49ers U.S. Bank Stadium TBD Local
PS2 TBD TBD Local
PS3 TBD Denver Broncos Empower Field TBD Local
1 11 Sep Green Bay Packers U.S. Bank Stadium 3:25 PM FOX
2 19 Sep (Mon) Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field 7:15 PM ABC
3 25 Sep Detroit Lions U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
4 2 Oct New Orleans Saints Tottenham Hotspur Stadium 8:30 AM NFL Network
5 9 October Chicago Bears U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
6 16 October Miami Dolphins Hard Rock Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
7 BYE WEEK BYE WEEK BYE
8 30 Oct Arizona Cardinals U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
9 6 Nov Washington Commanders FedEx Field 12:00 PM FOX
10 13 Nov Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
11 20 Nov Dallas Cowboys U.S. Bank Stadium 3:25 PM FOX
12 24 Nov (Thu) New England Patriots U.S. Bank Stadium 7:20 PM NBC
13 4 Dec New York Jets U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM CBS
14 11 Dec Detroit Lions Ford Field 12:00 PM FOX
15 18 Dec Indianapolis Colts U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM CBS
16 24 Dec (Sat) New York Giants U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
17 1 Jan Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field 3:25 PM FOX
18 8 Jan Chicago Bears Soldier Field TBD TBD
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/5/12 ... edule-2022
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

By your choice of words, your assumption appears to be that Kwesi has to prove he wasn’t wrong. As if the best he could do was to not get fleeced.

But isn’t it also possible that he fleeced those teams with whom he traded?

The choice seems to be that he was either very wrong or he wasn’t. Not that he was right. But at this point, we don’t know how any of these players will turn out. So isn’t there also a possibility that the players the Vikings drafted will torment the Lions and Packers?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

A number of Pundits are picking Christian Watson for RoY just because of opportunity. They have no viable WRs besides him. Here's hoping the drops continue.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:01 pm
PS1 TBD San Francisco 49ers U.S. Bank Stadium TBD Local
PS2 TBD TBD Local
PS3 TBD Denver Broncos Empower Field TBD Local
1 11 Sep Green Bay Packers U.S. Bank Stadium 3:25 PM FOX
2 19 Sep (Mon) Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field 7:15 PM ABC
3 25 Sep Detroit Lions U.S. Bank Stadium 12:00 PM FOX
4 2 Oct New Orleans Saints Tottenham Hotspur Stadium 8:30 AM NFL Network