2022 schedule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am
x 64

2022 schedule

Post by chicagopurple »

Well, our opponents this year look like a gift from the NFL Gods. Our division is pretty weak, and our out of conference schedule only has 2 real powerhouses. No excuse this year for the coach/QB/GM if we dont make the playoffs.
User avatar
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm
x 106

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by IIsweet »

You're joking right?
1st year HC, new OC, new DC, 1st time GM, new offense, completely new defensive scheme, and you say "NO EXCUSES"???
Tough crowd dude.
Let's be realistic here... I hope that we are able to implement everything immediately and have success from day 1, but you say learning curve "schmurve" !!
We have A Lot of the pieces in place that have played together which will help with continuity and familiarity, but brand new terminology and schemes. It is going to take time.
Thus the reason we did not go into a complete rebuild. We can compete and win a lot. There will be schematic mistakes and missed opportunities.
I expect us to be a lot better in December than September.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 2:52 am
x 15

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by FullWood »

I took this as a joke.
VikingsFan84
Starter
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am
x 26

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by VikingsFan84 »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:00 pm Well, our opponents this year look like a gift from the NFL Gods. Our division is pretty weak, and our out of conference schedule only has 2 real powerhouses. No excuse this year for the coach/QB/GM if we dont make the playoffs.
Come on really? I do not expect Vikings to make the playoffs with a new coaching staff and learning a new system
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 606

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I expect us to make the playoffs. I always do.
User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4294
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 286

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Texas Vike »

I agree with Chicago Purple: both our favorable schedule and the fact that our new GM and coach chose to NOT do a hard reset makes me expect playoffs. Anything less will call for some major changes, not just a "competitive rebuild" but a much more thorough one.
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9153
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 297

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Cliff »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:40 am I agree with Chicago Purple: both our favorable schedule and the fact that our new GM and coach chose to NOT do a hard reset makes me expect playoffs. Anything less will call for some major changes, not just a "competitive rebuild" but a much more thorough one.
What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8788
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 985

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:09 am
chicagopurple wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:00 pm Well, our opponents this year look like a gift from the NFL Gods. Our division is pretty weak, and our out of conference schedule only has 2 real powerhouses. No excuse this year for the coach/QB/GM if we dont make the playoffs.
Come on really? I do not expect Vikings to make the playoffs with a new coaching staff and learning a new system
I do. With a weaker conference and GB getting worse, I think they can 100% make the playoffs this year and have confidence they will. Might be new faces in the building, but the old face that lost the team is now gone. That's going to go much further than people think.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
User avatar
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4294
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
x 286

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:40 am I agree with Chicago Purple: both our favorable schedule and the fact that our new GM and coach chose to NOT do a hard reset makes me expect playoffs. Anything less will call for some major changes, not just a "competitive rebuild" but a much more thorough one.
What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
By "hard reset" I'm talking about shedding core players, especially those with big contracts, so, yes, Cousins, but also guys like Hunter, Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, etc. Lots of fans thought we would go into a more aggressive rebuild this offseason with new GM and coach. Instead, they chose to do what they are calling a "competitive rebuild" which is somewhat euphemistic and a way to hedge their bets IMO.

I personally think the NFC East is weak. If we can't beat teams like Dallas and Wash at home, we aren't even close to being a playoff team. The north is weak too, so we should prosper. If we don't make it to 10 wins, we need to blow the roster up, starting with Cousins.
CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 451

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by CharVike »

If we stay healthy I think we have a good shot at making the playoffs. I like the new DC and it looks like our HC will let him handle the job. It's better than a HC/DC combo that we have watched lately. There's no dominate team out there in the NFC. The Rams were a last drive away from not making the bowl. Stafford deserves credit for that. On that day he performed.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm
x 38

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by allday1991 »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:40 am I agree with Chicago Purple: both our favorable schedule and the fact that our new GM and coach chose to NOT do a hard reset makes me expect playoffs. Anything less will call for some major changes, not just a "competitive rebuild" but a much more thorough one.
Same. We a going in with pretty much the same team as last year with new coaches. This tells me the owners think the team has the talent but the coaches blew it the year before, so yes I’d expect to make the playoffs. Why would anyone expect anything different, surprised so many fans are not expecting playoffs because it will take time for the coaches to Gel. If that’s the case should of just rebuilt not a “competitive rebuild” what ever the hell that is.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
StanM
Starter
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:46 am
x 69

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by StanM »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am
Cliff wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 am

What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
By "hard reset" I'm talking about shedding core players, especially those with big contracts, so, yes, Cousins, but also guys like Hunter, Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, etc. Lots of fans thought we would go into a more aggressive rebuild this offseason with new GM and coach. Instead, they chose to do what they are calling a "competitive rebuild" which is somewhat euphemistic and a way to hedge their bets IMO.

I personally think the NFC East is weak. If we can't beat teams like Dallas and Wash at home, we aren't even close to being a playoff team. The north is weak too, so we should prosper. If we don't make it to 10 wins, we need to blow the roster up, starting with Cousins.
I think the way they’re going about this rebuild, restructuring and retaining most of the veterans while they still play at a high level, makes sense. As long as they don’t hang onto those veterans too long after they start aging out. I get the idea of blowing things up like Chicago is doing but to come in and jettison a bunch of fan favorites for draft picks would alienate a large portion of the fan base. They have to strike a balance between rebuilding and keeping the team competitive enough to not lose the interest of those corporations filling those private booths.

This season the Vikings quietly cut ties with Barr without much feedback from fans. Watching what they’re doing I think we will see more high paid aging veterans parting company this next off season. Purple Daily just put out a video speculating that KOC sees something in Mond. I think next off season will be equally interesting and will come with some surprises.

At the end of the day we fans are just along for the ride and either we support what they’re doing or get off the bandwagon. :bowdown:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8788
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY
x 985

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am
Cliff wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 am

What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
By "hard reset" I'm talking about shedding core players, especially those with big contracts, so, yes, Cousins, but also guys like Hunter, Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, etc. Lots of fans thought we would go into a more aggressive rebuild this offseason with new GM and coach. Instead, they chose to do what they are calling a "competitive rebuild" which is somewhat euphemistic and a way to hedge their bets IMO.

I personally think the NFC East is weak. If we can't beat teams like Dallas and Wash at home, we aren't even close to being a playoff team. The north is weak too, so we should prosper. If we don't make it to 10 wins, we need to blow the roster up, starting with Cousins.
I dont really understand the whole "we should have blown the roster up" take. Teams like the Bears blew their roster up by getting rid of Mack and Robinson. That was the extent. Blowing your roster up usually consists of a team with maybe a couple good players left on it with inflated contracts and the rest of the roster is pretty bad. You dont take a roster with top 12-15 talent in the NFL and just cut every worthwhile veteran on it.

In what world does or would a team ever get rid of Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen, Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks, and Patrick Peterson (who makes pennies so I'm not really sure why he was on your list) all in one offseason? That's just not even realistic and honestly unheard of. I'm glad they didnt take that route. We didnt have the team to do it regardless. I think the future still looks very bright with this new regime and what they have brought in.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 451

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am
Cliff wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 am

What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
By "hard reset" I'm talking about shedding core players, especially those with big contracts, so, yes, Cousins, but also guys like Hunter, Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, etc. Lots of fans thought we would go into a more aggressive rebuild this offseason with new GM and coach. Instead, they chose to do what they are calling a "competitive rebuild" which is somewhat euphemistic and a way to hedge their bets IMO.

I personally think the NFC East is weak. If we can't beat teams like Dallas and Wash at home, we aren't even close to being a playoff team. The north is weak too, so we should prosper. If we don't make it to 10 wins, we need to blow the roster up, starting with Cousins.
Jax is doing exactly what you say is the key. They were garbage and got the best QB in the class. They are now in year 2. But there is nothing around that young QB so it will be a hard road for him. He might not make it because of that. The 49ers are the team doing it the best way. They have the 3rd pick ready to go this year. Well see if he gets them beyond the NFC Champ game.
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 9153
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky
x 297

Re: 2022 schedule

Post by Cliff »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 am
Cliff wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 am

What is a "hard reset" in your opinion? They've cleaned house with coaching and management. Perhaps because they didn't do things like cut Cousins or something?

As far as the ease of schedule ... it's not a gift, the worse your team the year before the easier your schedule is supposed to be. That said, the fact is we just don't know how tough the schedule is. Teams change quickly in the NFL.
By "hard reset" I'm talking about shedding core players, especially those with big contracts, so, yes, Cousins, but also guys like Hunter, Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Cook, PP, etc. Lots of fans thought we would go into a more aggressive rebuild this offseason with new GM and coach. Instead, they chose to do what they are calling a "competitive rebuild" which is somewhat euphemistic and a way to hedge their bets IMO.
Is the assumption they would trade away all of those players and use draft picks to refill? Or simply cut them? Would they get cheaper-but-worse free agents in that case? In Cousin's case even if they cut him they'll have to pay him ...

Cutting players for the sake of cutting them so you can say "this is all new!" I don't get. Getting draft picks for them I could maybe see but even then most draft picks don't work out.

Why cut core players if they still fit your scheme and are good players if you've got enough cap otherwise?