Mannion is back baby

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mannion is back baby

Post by vikeinmontana »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:26 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:19 pm

Cousins has shown to be a quality starter. Not all world like some suggest, and not some scrub like others suggest. He's under contract for a couple more years. If at any point his play is so terrible, they will see what options they have. As of right now, they feel he gives us the best chance to win. Maybe they are right, maybe wrong.

I'm still waiting to hear names of amazing QB's willing to come to Minnesota as a backup role for the money we are able to spend on that position? :confused:
You going to answer this...What has Cousins accomplished?

That’s just it, if Vikings want a better QB they will have to pay better money.
No amazing QB’s just better than Mannion. If something would happen to Cousins they would be scrambling for a better QB... guaranteed
You just described about every team in the NFL. What teams have stud backups locked and loaded to win games when the starter goes down? Few if any. Especially with limited action. If there are big time players not on a roster currently and are guaranteed to win games should Cousins go down, I'm all ears. Just surprised some are so up in arms about a backup QB signing that I could have told you two months ago was going to happen.

In regards to what Cousins has "accomplished", you're barking up the wrong tree with me. I'll let you and the others go back and forth, over and over, on every thread on this board on that topic. I won't get brought into that nonsense. I'd be more than happy with a different QB. But I'm also not going to pretend he's some dude the Vikes picked up while he was walking downtown. He's had some perplexing play, and he's had some play definitely good enough to win games.

In the end, it doesn't matter. He's our QB. There's not a single member of this board that doesn't know EXACTLY where every other member of this board stands in regards to Cousins. And while no one is likely to change anyone else's mind on the matter, it won't keep you all from trying. And even if by some miracle one side changed the mind of all the others, it doesn't make one ounce of a difference. He's our guy, and will be at least for this season.

I find myself envying some of your guys' lives! If you can be so passionate and opinionated, with so much time invested on the topic of an NFL QB; I'm doing something wrong! :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:34 am
halfgiz wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:26 am

You going to answer this...What has Cousins accomplished?

That’s just it, if Vikings want a better QB they will have to pay better money.
No amazing QB’s just better than Mannion. If something would happen to Cousins they would be scrambling for a better QB... guaranteed
You just described about every team in the NFL. What teams have stud backups locked and loaded to win games when the starter goes down?
He just wrote that he doesn't want an amazing QB, just one better than Mannion. You don't need a stud, you need a guy who can be somewhat competent and win if the team around him steps up. Like Case, who was just available for a 7th.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:31 am

You just described about every team in the NFL. What teams have stud backups locked and loaded to win games when the starter goes down?
He just wrote that he doesn't want an amazing QB, just one better than Mannion. You don't need a stud, you need a guy who can be somewhat competent and win if the team around him steps up. Like Case, who was just available for a 7th.
It would be nice to have a good backup QB. Which good player at another position would it cost us? Cousins has missed is it one game in his career and that was over being in the proximity of somebody else with COVID?
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:43 am

It would be nice to have a good backup QB. Which good player at another position would it cost us? Cousins has missed is it one game in his career and that was over being in the proximity of somebody else with COVID?
How about a serviceable backup QB to replace our bad backup QB? They don't need to take any additional roster spots... I don't see how this is so hard to understand.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd honestly rather snap it to the runningback than have to watch Mannion play another down.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

I understand. Who?

I get people are for one reason or another up in arms about this signing. They clearly have way more insight to Mannion and the QB room than I do. And they must have much better knowledge of all of the other 2nd and 3rd string QB's on NFL rosters that are apparently more equip to handle this role for their franchises.

To these people with the knowledge of why this was such a bad signing, I'm curious who else would have been an obvious better choice for the Vikings this season?
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:32 pm

I understand. Who?

I get people are for one reason or another up in arms about this signing. They clearly have way more insight to Mannion and the QB room than I do. And they must have much better knowledge of all of the other 2nd and 3rd string QB's on NFL rosters that are apparently more equip to handle this role for their franchises.

To these people with the knowledge of why this was such a bad signing, I'm curious who else would have been an obvious better choice for the Vikings this season?
Like I said, Case was just traded for a 7th and is only costing Buffalo 2.5 million at most more than Mannion.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think we just want to see a QB with upside should something bad happen to Cousins. Not a lot of confidence in Mannion to go out there and compete.
However, I think Mannion is probably great in the position meetings. He might be a future OC, have no idea. Probably is very supportive of KC. So they are very much on the same page.
Maybe we have that upside guy already in Mond.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thaumaturgist wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:55 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:43 am

How about a serviceable backup QB to replace our bad backup QB? They don't need to take any additional roster spots... I don't see how this is so hard to understand.
Any player added at one spot is a player subtracted at another spot. Any cap money spent at one spot is cap money that can't be spent at another. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a serviceable backup QB. Maybe that will be Mond and we have that QB already.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:02 pm

I understand. Who?

Like I said, Case was just traded for a 7th and is only costing Buffalo 2.5 million at most more than Mannion.
Case would have been cool.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:07 pm I think we just want to see a QB with upside should something bad happen to Cousins. Not a lot of confidence in Mannion to go out there and compete.
However, I think Mannion is probably great in the position meetings. He might be a future OC, have no idea. Probably is very supportive of KC. So they are very much on the same page.
Brilliant minds thinking alike. To be honest I doubt that Mond is that guy, but we can hope.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:02 pm

I understand. Who?

So a guy for a draft pick and 2.5 million more dollars. What if they didn't want to, or didn't think they could, invest that in a backup QB?

I'm not making a case Mannion is all world. I'm making a case that this is a business. One that even the most passionate fans don't know the ins and outs of. So maybe this was a perfect signing for what they wished to accomplish this season.

This isn't to suggest that teams don't make bad moves. They do. I'm just not convinced this was one of them based on his familiarity with the franchise, and the money we had to spend. Not to mention, it's not like this signing closes the door on any moves going forward. If Cousins goes down and it turns out Mannion is completely inept, there is nothing to stop them from going out and signing or trading for one of the studs you guys wish we would have signed last week.
i'm ready for a beer.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I agree and that is what I meant when I said the Vikings should offer Manion an assistant QB position if they like that aspect of having him in the building. I think they can find another more capable backup but it’s really not that big of a deal. We have seen that KOC and KAM aren’t afraid to shake things up and it’s not like thousands of fans own Manion jerseys and are going to storm Vikings HQ if they replace him.

We have seen that if they can plug a better player in they are going to make the move. We have to remember that KOC and CAM are probably up to their eyeballs in evaluations and work right now.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:07 pm I think we just want to see a QB with upside should something bad happen to Cousins. Not a lot of confidence in Mannion to go out there and compete.
Honestly, I agree with you on Mannion. He can't compete.

What he gives the Vikings is a security blanket for Cousins. It's sad that a man who makes that kind of money is so mentally fragile that he needs a Mannion to prop him up, but now that the Vikings have paid him (again), they have to support him. So I understand the Vikings signing Mannion.

It would be great if the third QB was the developmental guy with upside, so that if the starter went down, you'd bring in the No. 3 and have the No. 2 mentor him. Unfortunately, I doubt that guy is Kellen Mond.

Here's what Thor Nystrom, a draft expert with NBC Sports had to say about Mond (I'm actually taking the time to transcribe his comments from the Purple Daily podcast because it's very important):
I'm done with Kellen Mond. I was done with Kellen Mond when [the Vikings] picked him. The thing is that Kellen Mond is a developmental guy that you saw at the highest level of college football for four years, and he never jumped up. He was as good as a fourth-year senior as he was as a freshman. The game never went up. And he was surrounded by great players all four years. He had a great offensive line. He had a great coach his last year in Jimbo Fisher, who developed the No. 1 overall player at Florida State in Jameis Winston. He had everything he could possibly need around him, and his game never went up.

He's a dual-threat player with an arm who didn't throw down the field at Texas A&M and who never used his legs. What are we looking for here?
He also said that Mike Zimmer's comments after the Green Bay game, while very dick-ish, were true.

Courtney Cronin (now covering the Bears for ESPN ... boo!) said the pick of Mond was a "Spielman Special," that nobody on the Vikings wanted him except Spielman. It's unfortunate that the young man had to come into a situation like that, but if it's true, it's likely one of the reasons Spielman was fired. Certainly not the only thing, but a contributor to his exit.

It's very possible that we Vikings fans need to forget the Kellen Mond idea.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 am It would be great if the third QB was the developmental guy with upside, so that if the starter went down, you'd bring in the No. 3 and have the No. 2 mentor him. Unfortunately, I doubt that guy is Kellen Mond.
I agree. I have seen nothing in Mond that would give me any hope he is the developmental guy we want. Maybe someone else has. I would personally not be surprised if he doesn't make the final roster. Of course, I'm not in practices. Zimmer's comments, while you maybe have to take with a grain of salt considered how he and Spielman were clearly on the outs, have to have some merit.

Regarding Mannion... I dislike him taking a roster spot, but given Cousins history of not missing games, it's not likely to matter. Plus, he is a former Ram, so there is definitely a familiarity from the new coaching staff. Boring as hell for fans though. Honestly if Cousins goes out early in the year, we are probably not competing anyway. More likely we'll try to bring in a guy like Fitzpatrick off the street (or make a trade) instead of rolling with Mannion for the year in that event.
Damian