2022 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2022 NFL Draft

Post by Thaumaturgist »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:15 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:12 pm

At 12? That would be depressing.

We need an edge rusher opposite Hunter, starting CB, and two starting LBers. Unless a clear BPA offensive player falls to us in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round, those picks need to be spent on the D.
We agree :shock: :govikes:
HALLELUIAH!!!! I honestly thought a superbowl in the next year was more likely than I ever was to see this day.

:banana: :appl: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

:lol:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Punkoholic wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 pm I also know nothing about college football players but heard CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner thrown around by some fans. Although 1 mock had him going at 7. Another CB is Derek Stingley Jr. The mock where Gardner goes 7 has Vikings picking Stingley Jr. Another mock had Vikings picking him as well but Gardner was mocked at 16 or something. In the writeup, it said Gardner could be the 1st CB taken but Stingley Jr is more athletic or something and because of that, they had Vikings picking Stingley Jr instead.
Some more notes:

- QBs this year are not highly rated. There could be some good prospects in the class but risk abounds. QBs will likely go much earlier than they otherwise would because the position is already overvalued, but some names that could make sense at #12 are Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis and Matt Coral. The only one of this group I'd personally consider as high as #12 is Willis, and that is solely based on what I think his pro ceiling is from an athletic perspective. Almost no mocks have the Vikings taking a QB at #12.

- The WR class this year has some guys who would be good value at #12. Any of Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Treylon Burks, or Jameson Williams could be on the board when the Vikings pick and any of them would look awfully good and be capable of starting Day One opposite Jefferson if need be. Very deep, talented WR class this year.

- OL talent this year is very good at tackle, but not so great at guard or center. One name at guard that I've seen mocked to the Vikings at #12 is Kenyon Green. That's a really high spot for a guard and I'm not sure Green merits it. He doesn't seem like the next Randall McDaniel, and the Vikings might already have their guard of the future in Wyatt Davis, so in my view Green would be a real stretch to see at #12, although given current needs he wouldn't be a terrible choice there. I don't see a center in this draft that comes near to meriting #12.

- DE talent is really good this year as well. The Vikings could easily find a potential impact DE sitting at #12. I've seen George Karlaftis, David Odjabo, Jermaine Johnson or (my personal favorite) Travon Walker mocked to the Vikings at #12. All of these guys have some things to work on going forward, but all of them also look like potential difference-makers as pros. Walker is my favorite because he's bigger and looks like he can add more quality weight, plus he's just bull strong and knows where the ball is. Would love to see him wearing Purple this coming season.

- DT talent is good too. At #12, the only guy I'd consider that high who plays DT is Jordan Davis. Davis gets knocked as a guy who mainly is run defender, but he's a LOT more than that in the bigger scheme of things IMHO. When you have an interior guy who simply must be accounted for on any snap due to his size, strength and length, it frees up other guys to make plays. Davis is going to anchor some NFL team's interior for a long time to come and would make an immediate impact on the run defense for next year. There are other DTs I would be super happy to see the Vikings grab in Rounds 2 or 3 like Perrion Winfrey, Travis Jones, and DeVonte Wyatt.

- LB talent is questionable near the top of the draft. I've seen mocks that show players like Devin Lloyd or Nakobe Dean going to the Vikings at #12, I really don't think the talent is there to justify such a lofty draft spot. Of course, the Combine and workouts could change that, but as it stands I could see the Vikings going LB with a guy like Chad Numa or even Brandon Smith in rounds 2 or 3 as being much more likely than taking a LB in the first round.

- I talked about the CBs near the top of this year's class in another post, so I'll talk safeties here. The 2022 class features one safety who is heads and tails above everyone else in Kyle Hamilton. While I almost never see him mocked to the Vikings, I have seen a few times where the luck of the draw and trades allows him to somehow slide to the Vikings at #12. If so, he's an obvious BPA pick there. A few 2-3 round prospects at safety that are good value are Jaquan Brisker and Lewis Cine.

Based on how things look today, the most likely positions to be drafted at #12 if the Vikings hold that pick are:

- Defensive end (Travon Walker https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... Walker.php)
- Cornerback (Trent McDuffie https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... Duffie.php)
- Defensive tackle (Jordan Davis https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022JDavis.php)
- Offensive guard (Kenyon Green https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022KGreen.php)

In that order. My predicted pick at each of those positions is in quotes and could change after the Combine results come in.

I'm editing this post to comment on why I don't have the Vikings taking a WR at #12 despite the deep and talented pool at that position. Basically, I think they're going to stick with Adam Thielen opposite Jefferson and if they do draft a WR it will be a guy like Skyy Moore in rounds 2-3 who will play in the slot and be able to return punts. Thielen has a big cap hit and he's getting a bit long in the tooth, but I think the Vikings won't rock the offensive apple cart this coming season. The Wilfs want to remain competitive, so their best bet to do that is to keep Cousins and his skill position teammates together. I'm not saying that is the right move, nor making any predictions about whether any of the top WRs in this year's class will go on to have storied careers, but I think the team will (rightly) decide to buttress the defensive side of the ball when #12 rolls around.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:28 am I like the Iowa Kid Linderbaum. One of the best interior anchors I've seen in a while. At 290lbs the kid somehow always manages to stone 310+ NT from the Big Ten.

The Vikings interior is still a mess. The previous regime stuffed a Tackle at the Guard position because he was the best of what was left. No more trying to be cute with the OL, no more trying to find guys that are "scheme" fits. Line up the OL vs DL whoever on the OL is best at 1 on 1 blocking, pick him.
While a lot of mocks have Linderbaum going in the bottom half of the 1st, I've seen several that have him in the first half of the 2nd, even some with him still on the board when the Vikings 2nd rounder comes up. It's not that he's a bad player. As you note, he's got a lot of good tape, moves well, and is fundamentally sound. He should turn into a solid pro. The main rap on Linderbaum seems to be his size. He's lighter than Bradbury coming out (Bradbury was around 300 IIRC), and while Linderbaum has a solid base, in the pros size matters.

As Stump noted as well, the Vikings' defensive needs far eclipse the offensive needs, and there should be some defensive talent on the board at #12 that merits that pick over pretty much any offensive position save possibly OG or WR. Taking Linderbaum there with the talent on the board being what it likely will be would be a very bold move on the part of KAM and KOC. It would either be a genius move, or the beginning of an inauspicious era.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Nice write up, VL. I like either of those bad dudes from UG. We need to add some absolute beasts to our DL.
makila
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:10 pm Nice write up, VL. I like either of those bad dudes from UG. We need to add some absolute beasts to our DL.
Agreed. Personally hope we draft best defensive player for new system at #12. We need help at all three levels. Never gonna complain about stud lineman though.

Great writeup VL.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:06 am The more I read about Pickett he seems to be a QB with MOXIE. I like QBs with MOXIE. Consider me on board.
You like Moxie but also like Cousins? What gives?

JK.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:15 pm
We agree :shock: :govikes:
HALLELUIAH!!!! I honestly thought a superbowl in the next year was more likely than I ever was to see this day.

:banana: :appl: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

:lol:
LOL. There have been moments in the past where we have agreed before.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:19 pm While a lot of mocks have Linderbaum going in the bottom half of the 1st, I've seen several that have him in the first half of the 2nd, even some with him still on the board when the Vikings 2nd rounder comes up. It's not that he's a bad player. As you note, he's got a lot of good tape, moves well, and is fundamentally sound. He should turn into a solid pro. The main rap on Linderbaum seems to be his size. He's lighter than Bradbury coming out (Bradbury was around 300 IIRC), and while Linderbaum has a solid base, in the pros size matters.

As Stump noted as well, the Vikings' defensive needs far eclipse the offensive needs, and there should be some defensive talent on the board at #12 that merits that pick over pretty much any offensive position save possibly OG or WR. Taking Linderbaum there with the talent on the board being what it likely will be would be a very bold move on the part of KAM and KOC. It would either be a genius move, or the beginning of an inauspicious era.
My problem with using "mock draft positions" is that we've done this before. Not drafting a guy at that spot because of his supposed draft ranking. 15 years worth of playing around with that type of logic got us into the OL problems we've been dealing with.

IMO Linderbaum is both BPA and Need. Again, his anchor ability is unique for a Center. Defense at 12 would be great if I had a plan of what KOC and Donatell vision of it first. Until their vision is fleshed out, I believe Linderbaum will be an all pro and if they missed out of him, it will be just another example of them paying attention of some guy's draft board instead of their own.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:56 pm
Punkoholic wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 pm I also know nothing about college football players but heard CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner thrown around by some fans. Although 1 mock had him going at 7. Another CB is Derek Stingley Jr. The mock where Gardner goes 7 has Vikings picking Stingley Jr. Another mock had Vikings picking him as well but Gardner was mocked at 16 or something. In the writeup, it said Gardner could be the 1st CB taken but Stingley Jr is more athletic or something and because of that, they had Vikings picking Stingley Jr instead.
Some more notes:

- QBs this year are not highly rated. There could be some good prospects in the class but risk abounds. QBs will likely go much earlier than they otherwise would because the position is already overvalued, but some names that could make sense at #12 are Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis and Matt Coral. The only one of this group I'd personally consider as high as #12 is Willis, and that is solely based on what I think his pro ceiling is from an athletic perspective. Almost no mocks have the Vikings taking a QB at #12.

- The WR class this year has some guys who would be good value at #12. Any of Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Treylon Burks, or Jameson Williams could be on the board when the Vikings pick and any of them would look awfully good and be capable of starting Day One opposite Jefferson if need be. Very deep, talented WR class this year.

- OL talent this year is very good at tackle, but not so great at guard or center. One name at guard that I've seen mocked to the Vikings at #12 is Kenyon Green. That's a really high spot for a guard and I'm not sure Green merits it. He doesn't seem like the next Randall McDaniel, and the Vikings might already have their guard of the future in Wyatt Davis, so in my view Green would be a real stretch to see at #12, although given current needs he wouldn't be a terrible choice there. I don't see a center in this draft that comes near to meriting #12.

- DE talent is really good this year as well. The Vikings could easily find a potential impact DE sitting at #12. I've seen George Karlaftis, David Odjabo, Jermaine Johnson or (my personal favorite) Travon Walker mocked to the Vikings at #12. All of these guys have some things to work on going forward, but all of them also look like potential difference-makers as pros. Walker is my favorite because he's bigger and looks like he can add more quality weight, plus he's just bull strong and knows where the ball is. Would love to see him wearing Purple this coming season.

- DT talent is good too. At #12, the only guy I'd consider that high who plays DT is Jordan Davis. Davis gets knocked as a guy who mainly is run defender, but he's a LOT more than that in the bigger scheme of things IMHO. When you have an interior guy who simply must be accounted for on any snap due to his size, strength and length, it frees up other guys to make plays. Davis is going to anchor some NFL team's interior for a long time to come and would make an immediate impact on the run defense for next year. There are other DTs I would be super happy to see the Vikings grab in Rounds 2 or 3 like Perrion Winfrey, Travis Jones, and DeVonte Wyatt.

- LB talent is questionable near the top of the draft. I've seen mocks that show players like Devin Lloyd or Nakobe Dean going to the Vikings at #12, I really don't think the talent is there to justify such a lofty draft spot. Of course, the Combine and workouts could change that, but as it stands I could see the Vikings going LB with a guy like Chad Numa or even Brandon Smith in rounds 2 or 3 as being much more likely than taking a LB in the first round.

- I talked about the CBs near the top of this year's class in another post, so I'll talk safeties here. The 2022 class features one safety who is heads and tails above everyone else in Kyle Hamilton. While I almost never see him mocked to the Vikings, I have seen a few times where the luck of the draw and trades allows him to somehow slide to the Vikings at #12. If so, he's an obvious BPA pick there. A few 2-3 round prospects at safety that are good value are Jaquan Brisker and Lewis Cine.

Based on how things look today, the most likely positions to be drafted at #12 if the Vikings hold that pick are:

- Defensive end (Travon Walker https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... Walker.php)
- Cornerback (Trent McDuffie https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepo ... Duffie.php)
- Defensive tackle (Jordan Davis https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022JDavis.php)
- Offensive guard (Kenyon Green https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022KGreen.php)

In that order. My predicted pick at each of those positions is in quotes and could change after the Combine results come in.

I'm editing this post to comment on why I don't have the Vikings taking a WR at #12 despite the deep and talented pool at that position. Basically, I think they're going to stick with Adam Thielen opposite Jefferson and if they do draft a WR it will be a guy like Skyy Moore in rounds 2-3 who will play in the slot and be able to return punts. Thielen has a big cap hit and he's getting a bit long in the tooth, but I think the Vikings won't rock the offensive apple cart this coming season. The Wilfs want to remain competitive, so their best bet to do that is to keep Cousins and his skill position teammates together. I'm not saying that is the right move, nor making any predictions about whether any of the top WRs in this year's class will go on to have storied careers, but I think the team will (rightly) decide to buttress the defensive side of the ball when #12 rolls around.
You've convinced me. Travon Walker it is. Anybody supporting any other pick is an idiot :shock: who I will fight to the death. :spanking:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:29 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:06 am The more I read about Pickett he seems to be a QB with MOXIE. I like QBs with MOXIE. Consider me on board.
You like Moxie but also like Cousins? What gives?

JK.
:lol: :lol:
Yep. I think Cousins has MOXIE. YOU LIKE THAT?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think Cousins will cause to much controversy if he sticks around.
Fans love him or they hate him..
If your going to trade him for a decent draft pick, this is the year. Unless Cousins gets extended.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:45 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Some more notes:

You've convinced me. Travon Walker it is. Anybody supporting any other pick is an idiot :shock: who I will fight to the death. :spanking:
Nice job but I have a few comments to add. I am a HUGE draft nut. Want tix to the combine so bad. I just love this time of the year. I have over the years, totally gotten away from Walterfootball. They do some good write ups about the guys, but I have seen so many other sites so much better and consistent. It is a great resource for looking up players though.
For those bashing "The Baum", this is the highest graded center in the last 10+ years. Maybe highest graded ever. He was a DL before making the switch. This kid is a beast. You would complain about an All Pro type player for the next decade because he went too early? I also feel that 1st rd picks should either be QB, protect the QB, or rush the passer.
CB to me, is to hit and miss with 1st rd CBs. I love Sauce Gardners length and swag. McDuffie is probably the most sound. Stingley is a hype machine. Is he 2019 great or 2020 average? Kyler Gordon has athletic potential jumping off the charts.
At WR, Jameson Williams is a STUD... but he suffered an ACL injury. Won't be 100% until probably week 4.

At 12, I just hope that if we stay there, we get a long term impact player that makes our team better. Linderbaum is the safest pick to me, but definitely not the sexy pick. Ojabo is going to absolutely wow people with his athleticism like Gordon.
I am not a 1st rd QB guy in this draft.
There are so many rush ends in this draft that a 2nd rd stud will be available like a Sanders Thomas Bonitto or Ebiketie among others.
I actually would not mind a trade down but to acquire an additional 2023 1st rd pick, or at minimum a 2nd rder this year and next. I expect more QB talent then. The positions that we need seem fairly deep to me in this draft.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:45 am
Nice job but I have a few comments to add. I am a HUGE draft nut. Want tix to the combine so bad. I just love this time of the year. I have over the years, totally gotten away from Walterfootball. They do some good write ups about the guys, but I have seen so many other sites so much better and consistent. It is a great resource for looking up players though.
For those bashing "The Baum", this is the highest graded center in the last 10+ years. Maybe highest graded ever. He was a DL before making the switch. This kid is a beast. You would complain about an All Pro type player for the next decade because he went too early? I also feel that 1st rd picks should either be QB, protect the QB, or rush the passer.
CB to me, is to hit and miss with 1st rd CBs. I love Sauce Gardners length and swag. McDuffie is probably the most sound. Stingley is a hype machine. Is he 2019 great or 2020 average? Kyler Gordon has athletic potential jumping off the charts.
At WR, Jameson Williams is a STUD... but he suffered an ACL injury. Won't be 100% until probably week 4.

At 12, I just hope that if we stay there, we get a long term impact player that makes our team better. Linderbaum is the safest pick to me, but definitely not the sexy pick. Ojabo is going to absolutely wow people with his athleticism like Gordon.
I am not a 1st rd QB guy in this draft.
There are so many rush ends in this draft that a 2nd rd stud will be available like a Sanders Thomas Bonitto or Ebiketie among others.
I actually would not mind a trade down but to acquire an additional 2023 1st rd pick, or at minimum a 2nd rder this year and next. I expect more QB talent then. The positions that we need seem fairly deep to me in this draft.
This is great stuff! :appl:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:40 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:19 pm While a lot of mocks have Linderbaum going in the bottom half of the 1st, I've seen several that have him in the first half of the 2nd, even some with him still on the board when the Vikings 2nd rounder comes up. It's not that he's a bad player. As you note, he's got a lot of good tape, moves well, and is fundamentally sound. He should turn into a solid pro. The main rap on Linderbaum seems to be his size. He's lighter than Bradbury coming out (Bradbury was around 300 IIRC), and while Linderbaum has a solid base, in the pros size matters.

My problem with using "mock draft positions" is that we've done this before. Not drafting a guy at that spot because of his supposed draft ranking. 15 years worth of playing around with that type of logic got us into the OL problems we've been dealing with.

IMO Linderbaum is both BPA and Need. Again, his anchor ability is unique for a Center. Defense at 12 would be great if I had a plan of what KOC and Donatell vision of it first. Until their vision is fleshed out, I believe Linderbaum will be an all pro and if they missed out of him, it will be just another example of them paying attention of some guy's draft board instead of their own.
I just look at mocks to get an idea of relative opinions of both individual players and the nature of the talent pool at a given position. I fully admit I don't know enough about Linderbaum to predict the career he'll have as a pro. You could very well be right that he turns into an absolute stud and anchor the center of some lucky team's OL for 10+ years.

But based on the collective opinion of people who create public draft mocks and do the player reviews for upcoming draft picks, I think Linderbaum is going to slide a bit in this upcoming draft. I don't see him going earlier than #20, and I could see him still on the board as late as #45. He's a talented guy with a lot of good tape and seems highly regarded, but I see few people who are really all that excited about him. Could have nothing to do with him. Maybe the talent at WR, CB, DL and OT is getting everyone so worked up they're overlooking Linderbaum and the center position generally.

I'll try to do some more digging on him and try to see what you're seeing.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:07 pm For those bashing "The Baum", this is the highest graded center in the last 10+ years. Maybe highest graded ever. He was a DL before making the switch. This kid is a beast. You would complain about an All Pro type player for the next decade because he went too early?
No intent on my part to bash "The Baum". Just noting trends I'm seeing in public mocks and player prospect evals I've read. Linderbaum is generally considered the top center prospect coming out this year, but the overall center class is relatively weak and the talent pools at other positions are relatively deep and strong. Could just be a FOMO year where teams go on binges at positions where the talent pool stands out a bit more, which could cause a guy like Linderbaum to drop lower than he might in a different year.