Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Alaskan
Starter

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by Alaskan »

Serious as a heart attack. Dig a little more than a quick google search.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm Serious as a heart attack. Dig a little more than a quick google search.
I like the idea, but if nothing shows up on a quick Google search how do I dig deeper?
Maybe I need Stump Hunter's help. He's great at digging deeeeep.
I type in "Is Peter Najarian a candidate to be the next Vikings GM?"
Nothing shows up other than him considering running for Minnesota Governor or Next U of M President.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm
Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm Serious as a heart attack. Dig a little more than a quick google search.
I like the idea, but if nothing shows up on a quick Google search how do I dig deeper?
Nothing shows up other than him considering running for Minnesota Governor or Next U of M President.
I think Stump is the man for the Job as well. It was nice to hear you say it though. I call that progress……
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm Heard they are looking at Peter Najarian for GM.
Intriguing choice... I hadn't considered someone like that as a GM but the more I look at it, the more interesting it is. He's got both a football background as well as an analytics background. Interesting merger of experience, skills and knowledge that might bring with it some new and innovative ways of moving the team forward.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm
Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm Heard they are looking at Peter Najarian for GM.
Intriguing choice... I hadn't considered someone like that as a GM but the more I look at it, the more interesting it is. He's got both a football background as well as an analytics background. Interesting merger of experience, skills and knowledge that might bring with it some new and innovative ways of moving the team forward.
I agree. His background coupled with his strong local ties make him an excellent choice. I like his vision as well. He is a regular on Wcco radio with Corey Hepola. He is also on the sports huddle with Mike Max on Sundays. I recommend tuning in. The more you dig, the more you will like this guy.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjn ... lman-fired

Mark Wilf speaks about the GM and HC search.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:08 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm
I think Stump is the man for the Job as well. It was nice to hear you say it though. I call that progress……
Stump loves digging deeeeeeeeep. I've always acknowledged that. Sorry no progress in that regard.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Keep seeing these names pop up and would be happy.... Unanimously all things point to an Offensive minded HC... in no particular order...
Byron Leftwich
Doug Pederson
Kellen Moore
Eric Bienemy
My favorite has been Leftwich, but I really like this idea even more right now...
Joe Lombardi with Joe Brady.
They worked for Sean Payton. The NO offense has been elite for nearly 20 years.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:09 pm https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjn ... lman-fired

In no uncertain terms he says we're NOT rebuilding. He expects a competitive/contending team next year.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:09 pm https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BRJjn ... lman-fired

In no uncertain terms he says we're NOT rebuilding. He expects a competitive/contending team next year.
We have the roster to compete. Zimmer just mucked it up most weeks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

TSonn wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:11 pm
True IF we have some semblance of a healthy defense. However, once Hunter went down we were dead in the water.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

One of the key takeaways for me was Mark Wilf's stressing the importance of hiring good communicators. He repeated it many times. I think it's significant because it is one of the huge deficiencies of Mike Zimmer. Like Grand Canyon huge.

Erik Kendricks mentions the same issue at the 4:15 and again at the 7:30 mark of this video in an interview today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaCxwV2QbM

"I don't think a fear based organization is the way to go"

Later (9:30), when asked about Barr and the likelihood that they won't play together again, Eric tears up. Very cool to see his response.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm

True IF we have some semblance of a healthy defense. However, once Hunter went down we were dead in the water.
So without Hunter the defense couldn't be expected to compete?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I hope Mark Wilf changes the structure so he hires the GM and the GM reports to him, while allowing the GM to hire his coach and let the coach report to the GM. That relationship and clear lines of responsibility and accountability will streamline things.

As much as Mark probably enjoys being involved in things he needs to operate in a way that gives the team the greatest chance for success. In general, teams where owners are too involved in the football operation end up dysfunctional. Let the GM make those calls and let the head coach pick his staff and coach.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I would go Louis Riddick for GM and Mike LaFleur for HC