Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:11 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am :rock:

Great news for this franchise. We can finally move forward, for good or for bad, out of this slump of mediocrity that has been going on for the past decade +.

Wonder if this means they have a guy in mind who wants to be a HC and GM? Harbaugh anyone?
Not great news. The replacements we hire most likely will not be as good.
So standing pat and accepting mediocrity is preferable to taking a risk to try to do better?

Both Spielman and Zimmer had the better part of a decade to accomplish something. Their best season bar none was 2017 with a 3rd string journeyman at QB, and it's important to note that season ended with a waxing at the hands of an opponent who also had to start their backup QB to get to the Superbowl.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think that Rick and Zimmer have had more than enough time to assemble a super bowl team.
Rick has been below average trying to assemble a offensive Line.
Most GM’s and coaches only last about 5 years.

For me the big thing will be hopefully no more trading down. That would
Drive me crazy.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Change is always scary, as there is always the possibility it goes the opposite direction of what is expected.

Message here was stale. Same voice in the locker room starts to get tuned out. Rick is who he is at this point. Gonna shotgun blast the draft. Sign vets. Miss on QBs. Have a meh line. And he and his HC that he hired share different visions, it appears. Ownership enabled them (Spielman and Zimmer) to do whatever they thought was best for the organization. It hasn't worked. Fine with a change here.

They have Rob Brzezinski still in the building and I am sure they are going to lean on him heavily with GM hire.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:57 am

So standing pat and accepting mediocrity is preferable to taking a risk to try to do better?

Both Spielman and Zimmer had the better part of a decade to accomplish something. Their best season bar none was 2017 with a 3rd string journeyman at QB, and it's important to note that season ended with a waxing at the hands of an opponent who also had to start their backup QB to get to the Superbowl.
Show me anywhere in my comment that I said standing pat is preferable to taking a risk to try to do better. I just spoke the truth that odds are whoever we get will be worse so I don't see it as great news. Like every move the Vikings make I hope it works out.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:00 pm I think that Rick and Zimmer have had more than enough time to assemble a super bowl team.
Rick has been below average trying to assemble a offensive Line.
Most GM’s and coaches only last about 5 years.

For me the big thing will be hopefully no more trading down. That would
Drive me crazy.
I have zero problem with trading down. I have zero problem with trading up. Trade downs can be good or bad. Trade ups can be good or bad.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:12 pm

Show me anywhere in my comment that I said standing pat is preferable to taking a risk to try to do better. I just spoke the truth that odds are whoever we get will be worse so I don't see it as great news. Like every move the Vikings make I hope it works out.
If you want to be exact, odds are whoever we get won't be appreciably better or worse.

The great news part of it is that at least there is a chance they'll be better. Without the move, there was no chance of that.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

It's so funny to look back at that 2017 season. We had nearly every ball bounce our way (or every Keenum toss-up) all season. I enjoyed almost every second of that season while it was happening (pre-NFCC) - but looking back on it now it seemed like it was more fluke than anything else.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YES! I’ve been banging this drum for years, problems of this level start at the top, I’m glad the Wilfs realized a full rebuild is needed. I was so worried they’d axe Zimmer and keep Rick when Spielman is just as big a problem. Who knows if the new regime will be an improvement but we need to try. Super Bowl or bust. These two weren’t ever getting us to the dance. Now we just need to deal with one more year of Cousins then show him the door. Hopefully they build things right this time.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StanM wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:32 am PS, a few of us older ones have seen their entire history since 1961. For that reason I especially like the last sentence in the press release. There was some speculation on my part about their willingness to buy out contacts. Obviously they are and this move tells us that they may be willing to find a way to move on at QB. It should be an interesting off season to see who they bring in here and how they handle the former regimes roster.
I think if the Wilfs felt the Cousins signing and extension were good moves Rick isn't fired.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Our defense was legit in 2017 ranked number 1,and has steadily declined since.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Sad to finally see Zimmer go. He was, for all intents and purposes, my coach. He's been here since I started properly getting into football in mid-2015, and for what he's done for this team, I'll always respect him. Love him or hate him, he at the very least turned this team around from what would have been a Browns/Dolphins/Jets situation of wandering in eternity perpetually sucking badly.

I love Zimmer, and even if it was time to go, it doesn't make it any less sad. I just wanted to extend a few niceties towards Mike Zimmer and just say it's depressing the game passed him by so fast.

Thanks for the memories.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Husker Vike wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:57 pm Our defense was legit in 2017 ranked number 1,and has steadily declined since.
Remember how they used to cite the stat that when Zimmer’s teams scored at least 20 points, they had this incredible winning percentage? The Vikings were 12-1 that season in those situations.

This year they were 6-6.

God I miss 2017.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:14 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:12 pm
If you want to be exact, odds are whoever we get won't be appreciably better or worse.

The great news part of it is that at least there is a chance they'll be better. Without the move, there was no chance of that.
I don't consider possibly being better great news. That would be mildly good news. If it was very likely better I would consider it great news.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Heard they are looking at Peter Najarian for GM.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm Heard they are looking at Peter Najarian for GM.
Well he does have a lot of experience making successful trades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Najarian

Seriously though, was your comment a joke or was it serious? I'd like the thinking outside the boxness about it. Trading and investing are like trading and drafting and he has NFL experience.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.