Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StanM
Veteran

Re: Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

Post by StanM »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:46 pm
StanM wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am

Hilarious reply. You threw Zim a real zinger. I wouldn’t expect that, my memories of Kapp’s passes are more like wounded waterfowl attempting to fly.
Why would you do my hero like that?

He may have thrown ducks, but he was the MVP quarterback of the only NFL championship team in Vikings history. When Mike Zimmer accomplishes anything close to that, he can be mentioned in the same stratosphere.
You’re misunderstanding me. I think your post is humorous and throws a zinger at Zim. I’ve been around since the Vikings first game and watched that first Super Bowl at my Chief PO’s house when I was in the Navy. Kapp didn’t throw the prettiest spirals but he was a leader and tough as they came. My personal all time favorite is Tarkenton but Kapp is a close second.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:17 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:46 pm
Why would you do my hero like that?

He may have thrown ducks, but he was the MVP quarterback of the only NFL championship team in Vikings history. When Mike Zimmer accomplishes anything close to that, he can be mentioned in the same stratosphere.
You’re misunderstanding me. I think your post is humorous and throws a zinger at Zim. I’ve been around since the Vikings first game and watched that first Super Bowl at my Chief PO’s house when I was in the Navy. Kapp didn’t throw the prettiest spirals but he was a leader and tough as they came. My personal all time favorite is Tarkenton but Kapp is a close second.
My bad.

When I was 9, my dad got tickets to the Vikings game against the Baltimore Colts at the old Met. The Colts were the defending NFL champs and had just lost Super Bowl 3 to the Jets, so a very formidable team. I knew next to nothing about football.

I’ll never forget it. A beautiful, sunny September day. So many people. I was a little kid and had never seen anything like it. The Vikings wiped out the Colts 52-14. Joe Kapp threw 7 TD passes to set an NFL record, and I was instantly the world’s biggest Joe Kapp fan … and a Viking fan forever.

Two years ago, I was in Minneapolis for a game, staying at a nice hotel near MOA. We were walking out to get something out of our car. We didn’t know, but the Vikings were planning to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the ‘69 team, and they had invited all the old players … and they put them up at that VERY HOTEL. From a distance I could see a single old Vikings player standing near our car.

It was Joe Kapp!

I was so flummoxed and out of sorts. Like a school girl with the Beatles. I turn to my wife and said, “It’s Joe Kapp! It’s Joe Kapp! What do I do?” She said, “Go introduce yourself, silly.” I said, “I can’t do that. He’s JOE KAPP.”

Thankfully she took me by the hand and led me over to him. I told him my story of seeing him throw the 7 TD passes. He said, “I did? I must’ve been a selfish son of a ####!” And we both laughed hard.

Joe has Altzheimer’s, so it’s possible he really didn’t remember. But it was amazing meeting him.

That’s me. Lifelong Vikings fan, and self-proclaimed president of the Joe Kapp Fan Club. Toughest QB who ever took the field.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Just watch today's game against the Lions.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:30 pm

My bad.

When I was 9, my dad got tickets to the Vikings game against the Baltimore Colts at the old Met. The Colts were the defending NFL champs and had just lost Super Bowl 3 to the Jets, so a very formidable team. I knew next to nothing about football.

I’ll never forget it. A beautiful, sunny September day. So many people. I was a little kid and had never seen anything like it. The Vikings wiped out the Colts 52-14. Joe Kapp threw 7 TD passes to set an NFL record, and I was instantly the world’s biggest Joe Kapp fan … and a Viking fan forever.

Two years ago, I was in Minneapolis for a game, staying at a nice hotel near MOA. We were walking out to get something out of our car. We didn’t know, but the Vikings were planning to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the ‘69 team, and they had invited all the old players … and they put them up at that VERY HOTEL. From a distance I could see a single old Vikings player standing near our car.

It was Joe Kapp!

I was so flummoxed and out of sorts. Like a school girl with the Beatles. I turn to my wife and said, “It’s Joe Kapp! It’s Joe Kapp! What do I do?” She said, “Go introduce yourself, silly.” I said, “I can’t do that. He’s JOE KAPP.”

Thankfully she took me by the hand and led me over to him. I told him my story of seeing him throw the 7 TD passes. He said, “I did? I must’ve been a selfish son of a ####!” And we both laughed hard.

Joe has Altzheimer’s, so it’s possible he really didn’t remember. But it was amazing meeting him.

That’s me. Lifelong Vikings fan, and self-proclaimed president of the Joe Kapp Fan Club. Toughest QB who ever took the field.
That's a cool story. I'm happy for you. I was going to ask if you ever saw a game at the old Met and you just answered that. What a game you saw as a young kid. I grew up in NJ and went to see the Vikes play a few times at the Vet. Even saw a baseball game at Connie Mack Stadium's last year 1970 with the old Giant greats Mays, McCovey, Marichal and Bonds playing.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

My bad.

It was Joe Kapp!

Awesome story!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I could possibly convince you that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings, but why? What's in it for me? If I can't convince you why would I bother either? Seems like a lose/lose endeavor to me.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

My bad.

It was Joe Kapp!

I thought that is Kramer? :confused:
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

I just wanted to point out the Chargers put up 47 points against the Vaunted Browns defense that Zimmer says that was so good. Justin Herbert had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs. If it's not the coaching that was responsible for the Vikings debacle game against the Browns, I don't know what is.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StpViking wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:54 am I just wanted to point out the Chargers put up 47 points against the Vaunted Browns defense that Zimmer says that was so good. Justin Herbert had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs. If it's not the coaching that was responsible for the Vikings debacle game against the Browns, I don't know what is.
That kid had a great game. We have offensive weapons and refuse to use them. That falls on Zim. Matter of fact the NFL has many young QBs and even rookies that are playing well. That Patriot / Texans game had two rookies who played good. Rookies! We could have had either sitting behind Cousins to take over and neither were picked. We picked a guy who can't beat out a worthless stiff for the backup spot.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StpViking wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:54 am I just wanted to point out the Chargers put up 47 points against the Vaunted Browns defense that Zimmer says that was so good. Justin Herbert had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs. If it's not the coaching that was responsible for the Vikings debacle game against the Browns, I don't know what is.
It was coaching and lack of talent. The Chargers have a better QB, better Oline and their receiving crew is pretty close to being as good as the Vikings. We are better at RB than the Chargers, but our RB was not healthy when we faced Cleveland.

Better coaching likely gets the Viking's offense more than 14 points against Cleveland, but there is no chance they they put up 40+ points against any team, let alone a defense as good as the Browns.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think that Zimmer needs to go based the past 5 seasons we have changed Offensive Coordinator so many times. Even though I believe the playcalling is probably the worst I have ever seen. Either that is from Kubiak being very vanilla just like his dad, or Zimmer not letting him call risky rewarding plays or making him call passive.

That game yesterday........ Jefferson is shredding their terrible defense and they go away from it. They got ahead a little bit and started to play passive..... WTF is that? Direct snap to the RB?

Zimmer has no killer instinct.

Oh and everyone who says Zimmer is a defensive genius, where is his defense now?

That defense yesterday was giving up huge chunk plays, 7-9 yard runs all the time. 3rd and longs given up all the time. If that wasn't the lions yesterday the Vikings would have been blown out.

I wish the Lions would trade coaches with us.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:07 am

That game yesterday........ Jefferson is shredding their terrible defense and they go away from it. They got ahead a little bit and started to play passive..... WTF is that? Direct snap to the RB?
Worst call of the game imo. However...

The Vikings have thrown 4 times on 3rd and 3 this year and have converted on none of them.

Expanding that, on 3rd and short the Vikings are the 2nd worst team in the NFL at converting on third and short (1-4 yards). They have passed it 13 times in that spot and run it 5 times. They are a terrible 3rd and short team when they pass and they are terrible on 3rd and short when they run.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:44 am
It was coaching and lack of talent. The Chargers have a better QB, better Oline and their receiving crew is pretty close to being as good as the Vikings. We are better at RB than the Chargers, but our RB was not healthy when we faced Cleveland.

Better coaching likely gets the Viking's offense more than 14 points against Cleveland, but there is no chance they they put up 40+ points against any team, let alone a defense as good as the Browns.
No way in hell is Herbert better than Kirk.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am

No way in HELL is Herbert better than Kirk.
Example subjective ranking (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/320 ... -takeaways)

Justin Herbert - 5th
Kirk Cousins - 14th

Example objective ranking (https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr)

Justin Herbert - 4th @ 66.0 total QBR
Kirk Cousins - 17th @ 54.0 QBR

Herbert is better so far. It's not really that close. And his offense put up 47 points on the same Cleveland defense the Vikings couldn't put up more than 7 against.

That's not all on Cousins, of course, but telling nonetheless.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am

No way in HELL is Herbert better than Kirk.
:shock: