Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Go......
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Convince me that Mike Zimmer should still be the head coach of the Vikings...GO!!!

Post by Foreman44 »

I was for him getting the boot last year
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Who would be a good replacement?
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I'd like to see Bieniemy given a chance here. He has obvious ties to the organization. I have no clue what kind of terms/relationship he has with current ownership. Realize there are mixed results with Reid's OCs. Not some retread though. Go hire someone who understands today's offenses.

Few others in that same mold; Leftwich, Daboll, and Brady. I think Bieniemy is a little more proven. Those guys have some nice track records so far though with upside.

Riley from OU was a hot commodity recently. Being a supporter of OU I know I have internal bias. Ha. He has his flaws though. Young with potential. Better offensive mind than KK in Arizona imo. I like that model, go out and get a proven DC, and lets him do his thing.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think psjordan discussed this about as well as I've seen it discussed in the Browns post-game thread. Zimmer's teams have generally had the same problems over and over and generally have failed to win against better teams while mopping up against worse teams. It's produced a long track record of middling results pretty much every year he's been the head coach with the exception of 2017 when both Spielman and he lucked into a once-in-a-lifetime performance from their 3rd string journeyman QB. They were middling again last year and appear to be well on their way to middling again this year.

So no, I can't convince you Zimmer should be head coach after this year.

However, I think before they find a new coach they need to get a new GM. Spielman hasn't produced a team capable of consistently winning either. So get a new GM first, then let the GM find his coach.

Zimmer will get this year, as will Cousins. Cousins might get another year due to his contract, but if the Vikings do make big offseason moves at GM and head coach it probably isn't realistic to expect the first year under the new regime to be a great year.

Although...

What if Aaron Rodgers wanted to come to Minnesota next year ala Brett Favre in 2009? Let's say for kicks and giggles Rodgers wants to stick it to the Packers GM the same way Favre did. Could the Vikings even make that happen with Cousins' contract hanging over their heads?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Until the coach AND GM are gone, the Vikes will remain a hopeless mess.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Because Mike Zimmer is a tough, hard-nosed warrior whose players both love and fear him, much like General George S. Patton.

No?

OK, because he is the creator of the dreaded Double A-Gap Pressure Defense, which no team has solved in all the years he’s been using it.

Not buying it?

Well then, because he’s an X and O mastermind whose in-game adjustments and clock management skills are without peer in the history of the NFL.

Or how about this? Because he would never stoop to nepotism such as making his own kid defensive coordinator, or his best bud’s kid the offensive coordinator.

Wait. I know. Because he’s a savant-like motivator of kickers. A master developer of offensive linemen? Stand-up guy who always accepts blame and never throws his players under the bus?

Is great with the media?

Dang guys. I’m running out of ideas. I give up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:35 am I think psjordan discussed this about as well as I've seen it discussed in the Browns post-game thread. Zimmer's teams have generally had the same problems over and over and generally have failed to win against better teams while mopping up against worse teams. It's produced a long track record of middling results pretty much every year he's been the head coach with the exception of 2017 when both Spielman and he lucked into a once-in-a-lifetime performance from their 3rd string journeyman QB. They were middling again last year and appear to be well on their way to middling again this year.

So no, I can't convince you Zimmer should be head coach after this year.

However, I think before they find a new coach they need to get a new GM. Spielman hasn't produced a team capable of consistently winning either. So get a new GM first, then let the GM find his coach.

Zimmer will get this year, as will Cousins. Cousins might get another year due to his contract, but if the Vikings do make big offseason moves at GM and head coach it probably isn't realistic to expect the first year under the new regime to be a great year.

Although...

What if Aaron Rodgers wanted to come to Minnesota next year ala Brett Favre in 2009? Let's say for kicks and giggles Rodgers wants to stick it to the Packers GM the same way Favre did. Could the Vikings even make that happen with Cousins' contract hanging over their heads?
No since Vikings would have to take a 95 million cap hit if Vikings release Cousins and Rodgers
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

65-50-1 W-L, 2-3 W-L in playoffs, 0 SB won. Per ESPN stadium attendance through 2 games avg 66,716 / 100.4 pct. From a business perspective the attendance is full+ which means the product is good which means Zimmer stays. The Wilf family couldn't expect anymore than that. That's money in their pocket and in the end that's the game. If this year follows Zimmers past years we should make the playoffs. That means the stadium will stay full. I don't see a benefit to the Wilf family business by axing Zimmer. Him and Speilman are filling the joint up. Washington is at 62 pct full. That's pathetic for a division winner. Those fans are smart and know their team blows and they have a joke at QB who has been around forever and sucks. Not a good way to sell tickets.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

As I stated earlier. I wanted him gone last year.

Viking luck will be he finishes strong and we are stuck with him another year, worse, more than one year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The only one who can convince me Zimmer should remain the HC is Zimmer.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Because Mike Zimmer is a tough, hard-nosed warrior whose players both love and fear him, much like General George S. Patton.

No?

OK, because he is the creator of the dreaded Double A-Gap Pressure Defense, which no team has solved in all the years he’s been using it.

Not buying it?

Well then, because he’s an X and O mastermind whose in-game adjustments and clock management skills are without peer in the history of the NFL.

Or how about this? Because he would never stoop to nepotism such as making his own kid defensive coordinator, or his best bud’s kid the offensive coordinator.

Wait. I know. Because he’s a savant-like motivator of kickers. A master developer of offensive linemen? Stand-up guy who always accepts blame and never throws his players under the bus?

Is great with the media?

Hilarious reply. You threw Zim a real zinger. I wouldn’t expect that, my memories of Kapp’s passes are more like wounded waterfowl attempting to fly.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

StanM wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Because Mike Zimmer is a tough, hard-nosed warrior whose players both love and fear him, much like General George S. Patton.

No?

Not buying it?

Is great with the media?

Hilarious reply. You threw Zim a real zinger. I wouldn’t expect that, my memories of Kapp’s passes are more like wounded waterfowl attempting to fly.
But Joe Kapp had to have a leadership quality, getting the best out of the team..

Like 40 for 60 for 70.

I liked Joe
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am

No?

Not buying it?

Is great with the media?

Why would you do my hero like that?

He may have thrown ducks, but he was the MVP quarterback of the only NFL championship team in Vikings history. When Mike Zimmer accomplishes anything close to that, he can be mentioned in the same stratosphere.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.