Seattle Game Thoughts and Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Seattle Game Thoughts and Predictions

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:51 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:23 pm All I can say is Cousins is playing like an MVP of the NFL so far this season. Based on his play we should be 3-0. Defense has to get their sheet together and so does the kicking game.
Yup but fans will put the blame on Cousins on any loss :roll:
I haven't seen anyone putting the blame on Cousins in the two losses so far.

He's been playing really well.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:52 pm
psjordan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 am Wow, that would be a complete shock to me. I'd say 31-16 seahawks (gotta allow for missed XP).
Hopefully you are still shocked even though Seattle managed one more TD than I predicted.

:govikes: :smilevike: :v):
Complete shock. Still comprehending our TD drive just before halftime. No clue who kidnapped Zim and Kub for those three minutes but I hope it happens again this season!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Just read this thread. Great prediction, VL. I had a feeling we might play well, but I didn't feel strongly / confidently enough about it to make such a bold prediction. You just never know with the Vikings which team will show up, but in retrospect the close losses to Cincy (a team that is stronger than we initially gave them credit for, from the look of things) and AZ (a solid team) really don't look too bad. It is just so frustrating to see the Pack do what they did last night, winning the close games, and knowing that we could easily be 3-0, in fact, that we SHOULD be.

On to the next game. What's your prediction for the game vs. the Browns? The coaching matchup makes it intriguing. Stefanski knows Zimm's tendencies and vice versa.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:53 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Yup but fans will put the blame on Cousins on any loss :roll:

I haven't seen any of Kirk's hat...detractors step up and say how great he's been. :lol: :evil:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 am Just read this thread. Great prediction, VL. I had a feeling we might play well, but I didn't feel strongly / confidently enough about it to make such a bold prediction. You just never know with the Vikings which team will show up, but in retrospect the close losses to Cincy (a team that is stronger than we initially gave them credit for, from the look of things) and AZ (a solid team) really don't look too bad. It is just so frustrating to see the Pack do what they did last night, winning the close games, and knowing that we could easily be 3-0, in fact, that we SHOULD be.

On to the next game. What's your prediction for the game vs. the Browns? The coaching matchup makes it intriguing. Stefanski knows Zimm's tendencies and vice versa.
Yeah, the Packers won't go away easily, although I thought the 49ers defensive strategy at the end was horrible. Rodgers just took what they gave him, and what they gave him was too much time and wide open guys over the middle. Yeah, they needed to take away the sidelines but Rodgers is too smart to force the sidelines when he knows he's got enough time to hit those wide open guys over the middle for enough yards to give his field goal kicker a chance.

The 49ers should have played standard D at the end with the corners playing aggressive on the out routes IMHO. Yeah, Rodgers might have hit them over the top deep but so what? Being more aggressive in that situation forces Rodgers and the Packers to play great and if I'm going to lose I'd rather lose because I was beaten outright than I beat myself.

As long as the 49ers stick with Jimmy G I think their ceiling is limited. Trey Lance might struggle a bit but he adds a dimension they won't have with Jimmy G.

As for the Packers, they're getting insanely competent interior OL play out of their younger guys, at least thus far. If they keep getting that they'll stay in the race for the division lead.

As for the upcoming game against the Browns, I'll talk more about how I feel that might go in the pre-game thread whenever that gets started. Suffice it to say, I think the Browns are a more balanced overall team than the Seahawks and Cardinals were, although not as explosive through the air. I think the Browns will be a much better measuring stick for where this Vikings team really is.
Last edited by VikingLord on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:53 pm

I haven't seen any of Kirk's hat...detractors step up and say how great he's been. :lol: :evil:
I doubt you will see that, mostly because Cousins has played well historically in stretches before reverting. I think he's got to keep doing it over a period of time before any of those folks are going to be willing to tip their hat to him.

But that doesn't mean anyone can, or should, deny how well he's played thus far.

He's #2 in total QBR thus far (behind Matt Stafford!). He ranks 4th in the NFL with 8 TDs (against no INTs), 4th in completion %, and 4th in overall rating.

He's also led the team on two late, away-game drives, either or both of which could have and probably should have resulted in wins. He's keeping his cool under pressure, putting some nice touch on tough passes, and finding open guys in the mid-range.

He's also playing Beast Mode, just chucking his shoe backwards pre-snap when he couldn't get his heel into it. Yes, Cousins WILL drop back, plant and throw even with one shoe on!

So awesome. Honestly, that play right there has to be my favorite of the season so far. He didn't complete the pass IIRC, but just the fact that he outright chucked the shoe and went forward with the play instead of using a critical timeout is BOSS.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 pm
He's also playing Beast Mode, just chucking his shoe backwards pre-snap when he couldn't get his heel into it. Yes, Cousins WILL drop back, plant and throw even with one shoe on!

So awesome. Honestly, that play right there has to be my favorite of the season so far. He didn't complete the pass IIRC, but just the fact that he outright chucked the shoe and went forward with the play instead of using a critical timeout is BOSS.
Totally. He was different yesterday. His whole demeanor was way more intense, focused, and determined. It was his doppelgänger, the 'you like that' Kirk. I saw no hesitation from him, no jitteriness. When he's in that head space, he's a damn fine QB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I doubt you will see that, mostly because Cousins has played well historically in stretches before reverting. I think he's got to keep doing it over a period of time before any of those folks are going to be willing to tip their hat to him.

But that doesn't mean anyone can, or should, deny how well he's played thus far.

He's #2 in total QBR thus far (behind Matt Stafford!). He ranks 4th in the NFL with 8 TDs (against no INTs), 4th in completion %, and 4th in overall rating.

He's also led the team on two late, away-game drives, either or both of which could have and probably should have resulted in wins. He's keeping his cool under pressure, putting some nice touch on tough passes, and finding open guys in the mid-range.

That play with the shoe shows just how far Cousins has come.

I mean, this is the same guy who was so “married to the script” that he planned his entire day in 10-minute increments on an Excel spreadsheet. Now he ditches his shoe when the ref won’t stop the play clock for him to get it back on. No, he didn’t complete the pass (batted down at the line) but who cares? He played on.

By the way, Cousins hasn’t reverted in a very long time. Since his awful 6-game start last year, Cousins has played 13 games. He has 32 TD passes and 3 picks in those games.

You like that? (Rhetorical question)

The best part … his teammates are playing for him. They believe in him. It’s obvious. As a result, he’s elevating his team, something most of us didn’t think he was capable of doing. He’s overcoming things, such as not having Dalvin Cook and giving the Vikings a chance to when his teammates on the O-line are playing like horses a$$es.

Here’s hoping he keeps it up. 4-2 at the bye is not out of the question if he plays like this.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Kirk has played really well these first 3 games. I wonder if the OC being so inexperienced is putting him in a position to be more involved. Maybe actually helping to call plays or change them? Either way, anybody who blames the offense for the losses didn't watch the games.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Starting to come down from the Big Win Sunday and looking to next week.

Cleveland’s defensive line is physical and plays the run as well as they rush the passer. Will be a very tough test for us. Vegas has us as 2.5 dogs.

At least they haven’t seen a running attack quite like ours yet and we are at home. The yards and points will come tough. The Defense has to show up for a full game. Vikes 23-21.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:21 pm By the way, Cousins hasn’t reverted in a very long time. Since his awful 6-game start last year, Cousins has played 13 games. He has 32 TD passes and 3 picks in those games.

:beerock: :beerock: :beerock:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am Starting to come down from the Big Win Sunday and looking to next week.

Cleveland’s defensive line is physical and plays the run as well as they rush the passer. Will be a very tough test for us. Vegas has us as 2.5 dogs.

At least they haven’t seen a running attack quite like ours yet and we are at home. The yards and points will come tough. The Defense has to show up for a full game. Vikes 23-21.
Cleveland had trouble with the Bears' D for a good part of that game. They just got worn down when their offense couldn't gain more than 50 yards the entire game.

They are not unstoppable on offense.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Thanks for the reply pointing out just how good Kirk has been. I'm so tempted to make some sarcastic posts regarding this, but I will resist that temptation.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:54 am
ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am Starting to come down from the Big Win Sunday and looking to next week.

Cleveland had trouble with the Bears' D for a good part of that game. They just got worn down when their offense couldn't gain more than 50 yards the entire game.

They are not unstoppable on offense.
Also Zimmer knows him really well. Potentially better than he knows Zimmer's defensive schemes. The key is stopping Chubb. They have to do a lot better than they did against Seattle in their run defense.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I'm in the "Kirk Cousins is a good-to-very-good-to-outstanding QB most times but likely won't carry this team on his back to a SB victory" camp. I certainly don't mind that he's our QB, as there are only a handful of QB's that can carry their team through the playoffs. Would love to have one of those, but Kirk is no slouch IMO. Is he overpaid? Maybe. But as George Thorogood says, that don't confront me.
VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:38 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:21 pm By the way, Cousins hasn’t reverted in a very long time. Since his awful 6-game start last year, Cousins has played 13 games. He has 32 TD passes and 3 picks in those games.

:beerock: :beerock: :beerock:
"Since his awful 6-game start last year, Cousins has played 13 games. He has 32 TD passes and 3 picks in those games" has gotten us bupkus, zero, nada, squat for the post season. And therein lies the issue some? most? have with Kirk, including the media.
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:58 am Thanks for the reply pointing out just how good Kirk has been. I'm so tempted to make some sarcastic posts regarding this, but I will resist that temptation.
Too soon. Don't get me wrong, he's been outstanding this season to date. But unless and until Kirk puts together a "majority of the season" level of outstanding play, including having a Rogers-Brady-esque game against a top opponent or two (in primetime would be nice), and carrying the team if need be to a playoff win or two, folks will have issues with him as the starter on a team seeking Super Bowl win number one.

He's probably in the same spot as Derek Carr and a few others - they're at the point in their careers that they are going to have to win in the playoffs to cement any kind of status as a "top tier" QB in most/all eyes.