Seattle Game Thoughts and Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Seattle Game Thoughts and Predictions

Post by VikingLord »

Nobody started a pre-Seahawks thread this week, but better late than never.

The Seahawks have enjoyed unbelievable success against the Vikings for almost a full decade. The games have almost always been incredibly close, but the bounces have favored the Seahawks. While its tempting to draw a straight line through the prior results and predict a continuation, this upcoming game has nothing to do with the prior results and its important to remember that when looking at the two teams.

I think one of the most important factors in this upcoming game is the fact that the Vikings are 0-2, likely very frustrated by how they have that record, and know exactly what they need to do better. In the loss against the Bengals it was a combination of poor and undisciplined OL play coupled with equally undisciplined defensive play, while against the Cardinals the OL got its act together while the defense still gave up big plays, many when the QB was under pressure and the offensive play had otherwise broken down.

The good news for the Vikings is, they are facing an offensive team that is very similar to what they faced against the Cardinals. Wilson is mobile and capable of escaping pressure and extending plays with his legs. He is the classic "duckball thrower", escaping pressure only to lob up a deep ball that finds its target and often results in a TD to boot. Wilson can run but he is more of scrambler, or at least greatly prefers to look deep. So what the Vikings faced against Murray and the Cardinals is likely to repeat itself on Sunday, especially if the Vikings defensive front 7 starts to get pressure on Wilson.

To defend that, the Vikings defensive secondary simply must do better staying with receivers deep until the whistle blows. If the secondary can at least contest those deep heaves versus leaving them wide open, that should be enough to make that a non-factor in the result even if Wilson manages to connect here and there. This is an awareness and discipline issue for the Vikings secondary players. They've had two games now to correct this, and I expect it to be corrected in this game.

The Seahawks aren't a great rushing team. They will run if the Vikings let them, though, so the Vikings have to be disciplined against the run, which I didn't feel they were against the Cardinals. The talent should be there to be a good run defense. If this ends up being a 3rd consecutive game where they fail to effectively shut down the rush against a team that isn't great at running, that will be cause for concern.

Overall, I think the Vikings have a lot to prove on defense. They can and should be much better than they've shown. Maybe being at home and having two games under their belt will help them step up and show their potential, because so far they've been a pretty major liability.

When the Vikes are on offense, well, it all comes down to the OL IMHO. If the OL can consistently open running lanes and the Vikings can run effectively, they should be able to move the ball and score. That will also make the play action passing game more effective and allow Cousins to work his magic in the passing game. Seattle has a solid defense, but they seem to tail off in the 2nd halves of games, allowing the Titans relatively meager offensive success in the first half of their last game, but then largely failing to stop them in the 2nd half. So I'd say the Seahawks defense is struggling much like the Vikings defense has with inconsistency, but they are aggressive and will be disruptive.

I'm looking for a few more deep shots from the Vikings in this game and better consistency on defense. I'm looking for focus and energy and the OL to continue to play well and establish the pace of the game when the Vikings are on offense. I'm looking for the Vikings to get some pressure on Wilson and anticipate his escape antics.

This is a game the Vikings should win. Most predictions say it will be a close loss, but I'm going to predict a big win for the Vikings.

Vikings 28
Seahawks 10
Passepartout
Backup

Re: Seattle Game Thoughts and Predictions

Post by Passepartout »

Well hate to tell you all this. And really think it could be a blowout. 30 Seahawks 10 Vikings
Ready for Halloween
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Passepartout wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 pm Well hate to tell you all this. And really think it could be a blowout. 30 Seahawks 10 Vikings
I hope so, maybe that will make the Wilfs fire Zimmer
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I don't see us having much success. This secondary couldn't handle the 1st two QBs they faced. Wilson will have a field day. Metcalf will light this group up. Cook has a bum ankle and he's the heart of Kubes ground based play action scheme. So I see a 34-24 game Hawks.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I say the breaks finally go our way. Vikes 27-23.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm I think one of the most important factors in this upcoming game is the fact that the Vikings are 0-2, likely very frustrated by how they have that record, and know exactly what they need to do better. In the loss against the Bengals it was a combination of poor and undisciplined OL play coupled with equally undisciplined defensive play, while against the Cardinals the OL got its act together while the defense still gave up big plays, many when the QB was under pressure and the offensive play had otherwise broken down.
There's a lot to digest there, but I don't think "knowing exactly what they need to do to get better" is tied with any certainty to, well, getting better. If that were the case, Zimmer would have a much better record as a coach and our assistants would be held in much higher esteem. Unfortunately for us, a sample size of one game where our OL seemingly had it's act together is probably not a good predictor of future games. And, more likely, we will show the same shortcomings on the OL that we have for several years now. Probability does not favor improvement, but of course you never know.
VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm Overall, I think the Vikings have a lot to prove on defense.
You can say that again. For me this is an interesting "juncture" game for players and coaches. Win or lose, I think we find out if this team is in this together or not.
VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm This is a game the Vikings should win.
Boy that statement NEVER entered my head. I "hope" they win, they "have a shot" at winning, sure. But "should"? I don't see that at all, especially without Cook.
VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm Vikings 28
Seahawks 10
Wow, that would be a complete shock to me. I'd say 31-16 seahawks (gotta allow for missed XP).
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Vikings win. It's an odd year and they're at home. Time to start working back towards .500 and a wildcard berth.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Cook is out today so that is a big loss
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:16 pm Cook is out today so that is a big loss
I'm surprised Rose wasn't moved up from PS. Don't you get a few moves now each week?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

No game chat…or just no interest?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

All I can say is Cousins is playing like an MVP of the NFL so far this season. Based on his play we should be 3-0. Defense has to get their sheet together and so does the kicking game.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:23 pm All I can say is Cousins is playing like an MVP of the NFL so far this season. Based on his play we should be 3-0. Defense has to get their sheet together and so does the kicking game.
Yup but fans will put the blame on Cousins on any loss :roll:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Joseph making FGs has been critical.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:51 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:23 pm All I can say is Cousins is playing like an MVP of the NFL so far this season. Based on his play we should be 3-0. Defense has to get their sheet together and so does the kicking game.
Yup but fans will put the blame on Cousins on any loss :roll:
The Cousins haters would rather see a lose than this. It took a team effort because it was more than just him. Even this sive defense played a good half of football. Matti also filled in nicely.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 am There's a lot to digest there, but I don't think "knowing exactly what they need to do to get better" is tied with any certainty to, well, getting better. If that were the case, Zimmer would have a much better record as a coach and our assistants would be held in much higher esteem. Unfortunately for us, a sample size of one game where our OL seemingly had it's act together is probably not a good predictor of future games. And, more likely, we will show the same shortcomings on the OL that we have for several years now. Probability does not favor improvement, but of course you never know.
Well, after today we've got one more data point of optimism.
psjordan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 am Boy that statement NEVER entered my head. I "hope" they win, they "have a shot" at winning, sure. But "should"? I don't see that at all, especially without Cook.
I thought Seattle wasn't as good as everyone seemed to think and the Vikings weren't as bad as everyone seemed to think. The Vikings were 0-2 coming into the game and back at home. I figured they were due, and I was right.
psjordan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 am Wow, that would be a complete shock to me. I'd say 31-16 seahawks (gotta allow for missed XP).
Hopefully you are still shocked even though Seattle managed one more TD than I predicted.

:govikes: :smilevike: :v):