2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by MrPurplenGold »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:32 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Except I'm not arguing. You are reading my words as such and choosing a tone. You made a point about the scheme (and you are right) and I simply said that despite what the FO thinks, I would rather have a good player that may not be best for the scheme than a guy that fits the scheme but can't create a whole. The statement wasn't a slight against what you were saying and surely wasn't antagonistic in nature. I'll just chalk this up to a misunderstanding and ignore the "whatever".
What the hell are you talking about? Scheme?

I didn't say anything about scheme. I agreed with you about Hakeem Butler.

It appears you're inadvertently replying to someone else.

I wonder if the scheme issue was in reference to the point i made about Ford not being a good scheme fit for zone blocking
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Explore trading Rudy to NE now that Gronk retired? What would a realistic return be? Late 3rd? 5th?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Bigwehrm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 pm Explore trading Rudy to NE now that Gronk retired? What would a realistic return be? Late 3rd? 5th?
yes, probably a 3rd....we would have to give NE a 3rd to take Rudolph and his contract.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Bigwehrm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:30 pm Explore trading Rudy to NE now that Gronk retired? What would a realistic return be? Late 3rd? 5th?
Not a chance we get a 3rd. It would be a late pick. But he’s not getting traded regardless
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 pm
Not a chance we get a 3rd. It would be a late pick. But he’s not getting traded regardless
He is the ONLY option as a pass catching TE on this team. What don't people get about that?

Even if the Vikings spend a 1st or 2nd on a TE in this year's draft, TE is a position that typically needs time to develop in the NFL. Rudy isn't going anywhere.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 am

He is the ONLY option as a pass catching TE on this team. What don't people get about that?

Even if the Vikings spend a 1st or 2nd on a TE in this year's draft, TE is a position that typically needs time to develop in the NFL. Rudy isn't going anywhere.
Agreed. Like he may be getting slow and wearing down, but his hands are as good as anyones and he's still a big threat in the red zone. I dont get fans obsession with David Morgan. He has like 15 career catches. Yeah sure he can block but he's nowhere near the threat Rudy is....even when he is slow and worn down. I think Conklin is more of a pass catching TE than Morgan. But for some reason Morgan is one of those guys like a Sloter, Beebe, etc that hardly plays but everyone thinks those guys are the next coming of god for this team. He's loved by the fans but has literally done nothing. That's Sloter, Beebe and Morgan through and through. Could they be good? Sure. But lets pump the breaks a bit. They were undrafted free agents and 6th round picks for a reason.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 am

Good points. No team is stacked. Perhaps I'm looking to down on everything. Getting Griff back was a very good move no doubt. Maybe his issues are in check. I thought he was gone for sure. But he took a CAP redo also. Another good thing. I missed on that one. One player I hope wouldn't be back is Rudy. IMO he's not good enough for what he gets. Matter of fact he's not that good at anything. Another great point is 20ish WRs. Having 2 is a good thing. I was under the impression that some felt they were two top WRs. Again a mistake on my part. They will fix things the best they can with the means available. Which is exactly what you stated.
I think what really hurt them was whiffing on Treadwell. Had be been what most thought he would, I don't think the offense would have gone so stale for a period there last season, regardless if they could run the football or not. There was just so much focus on Thielen and Diggs, it was just too easy to take away because as we've been discussing, Rudolph is exceptionally slow and he very easy to bracket in coverage, so when they don't have that 3rd threat, it makes it pretty vanilla to defend. With another playmaking guy on the outside and with a healthy Cook for a full season, they should be much harder to game plan for and it would make things easier on Kirk.

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:19 pm I know this post doesn't contain info on a Free Agency move that we are actively making, but is just one of those what if/ wishful thinking posts.
I just wish that we were sitting in a position like the Colts with a ton of money to spend.
I was just reading an article about C.J. Anderson feeling disrespected by not being re-signed by the Rams and no real interest from any teams. I think he could be a possible great pairing with Cook in our backfield.
I know the argument is that he came in late in the season on fresh legs from not playing all season.
But I also see a guy, from different interviews I've seen with him, a guy that is truly hungry to get another fair shot. I could just see him as a perfect compliment to Cook, and a great guy on the goal line and when we are in a short ydg 1st down scenerio.
I know it can't happen due to our cap situation, but man if we could get him on a cap friendly couple yr deal could really be a great signing.
I know it won't happen but it's fun to think about it.
That's what us Vikes fans are experts at... dreaming away!!

CJ Anderson will get signed by somebody. No one is going to rush to add him with the draft right around the corner. He's probably going to be a camp signee and Minnesota could end up showing some interest. He'd be a complement to Cook.
This guy wasn't signed for a reason. Players flew of the map including our guy Barr. Even Murray flew quickly. The draft is always around the corner so why do teams sign guys?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Finally somebody understands the draft. I hear pick a WR in the 3rd and our problem is solved. That guy will sit. Rudy isn't worth anything. He has a bud or something because he was always a slug and can't move at all now. We need a TE that can split the seam and a WR that can blow the top off. That won't be helped this year via the draft.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:46 am

Finally somebody understands the draft. I hear pick a WR in the 3rd and our problem is solved. That guy will sit. Rudy isn't worth anything. He has a bud or something because he was always a slug and can't move at all now. We need a TE that can split the seam and a WR that can blow the top off. That won't be helped this year via the draft.
We have met with a lot of the top TEs. So I'm pretty sure we'll be going after a TE. As for WR, Metcalf I'm up in the air about. He's a freak athlete but is he truly a good WR? He never broke 700 yards in college. And when you already have two very good WRs, you can find a good athlete that might be a more technically sound WR in the middle to later rounds. Metcalf will be overdrafted guaranteed
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:52 pm Not seeing it with Lock. If it were 5-10 years ago, I'd go out saying I guarantee he busts, but it's much easier for rookie quarterbacks to come in the league these days and throw for yards and look pretty good. I think Haskins is the best QB in the draft and he is nothing like Cam...He's not a mobile/athlete-type whatsoever, but he does have that pocket mobility that all QB's covet and he has a great sense of pressure and maneuvering around it. He can throw absolute seeds and gets away with it because of his arm strength. He's not afraid to throw down field. He'll make mistakes because of the chances he takes, but all in all, he'll win more than he loses. He's accurate and he has touch, two things Cam is still struggling with.
Cam was never a true QB. He's a RB that can throw a football about 70 yards. He's a joke who is a great marketer. Plus he takes a ton of CAP. Some feel Cousins is a waste. IMO I like this guy Lock. Is he the talent that was in the draft last year? Nope. But he has the physical skills and has played a lot. That's what I look at. It's not like the bs we have drafted in the past that lack any physical gifts beginning with arm strength. Like the chicken wing stick Teddy. Or the no arm Ponder ect... Plus he will have the benefit of learning for a few seasons. It seems he is moving up the board quickly. Haskins didn't really play that much. Plus he had outstanding talent around him. Never had to elevate the team. This is a guy I wouldn't even look at in the top 3 rounds. But he will blow up the measure game and be a top half 1st round pick. Good luck with that move.
Man, no. :lol:

Can't take your stuff serious anymore. A RB that can throw 70 yards? He's not the most mechanically sound, but your hyperbole is too much. You hype up Lock because of physical skills, yet...that's exactly what Cam was about...The best QB prospect in that regard in years.

The one year Cam put it together, he won an MVP and was downright dominant...I don't think you know what you're talking about, but go ahead with it...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Didn't know most everyone else here was big on Butler like that...I suppose it makes sense since he plays in the Midwest, but being here in Seattle, not many mention him. He's my favorite receiver in this draft and the guy I think as projecting to be the best in this class...He really does have concentration issues and still dropped some pretty easy catches this season. That's gotta get corrected, otherwise, he's a steal for whichever team takes him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 am
Cam was never a true QB. He's a RB that can throw a football about 70 yards. He's a joke who is a great marketer. Plus he takes a ton of CAP. Some feel Cousins is a waste. IMO I like this guy Lock. Is he the talent that was in the draft last year? Nope. But he has the physical skills and has played a lot. That's what I look at. It's not like the bs we have drafted in the past that lack any physical gifts beginning with arm strength. Like the chicken wing stick Teddy. Or the no arm Ponder ect... Plus he will have the benefit of learning for a few seasons. It seems he is moving up the board quickly. Haskins didn't really play that much. Plus he had outstanding talent around him. Never had to elevate the team. This is a guy I wouldn't even look at in the top 3 rounds. But he will blow up the measure game and be a top half 1st round pick. Good luck with that move.
Man, no. :lol:

Can't take your stuff serious anymore. A RB that can throw 70 yards? He's not the most mechanically sound, but your hyperbole is too much. You hype up Lock because of physical skills, yet...that's exactly what Cam was about...The best QB prospect in that regard in years.

The one year Cam put it together, he won an MVP and was downright dominant...I don't think you know what you're talking about, but go ahead with it...
OK here is an experts opinion.
To be fair, Rivera and Newton reached the Super Bowl in 2015, their fifth season together, but since then Newton has not been anywhere close to a top-level performer. In fact, the numbers suggest his 2015 campaign, which earned him the league’s MVP award, was an outlier and not representative of his true ability at all.

You're right I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not digging up more stuff and there is plenty of it. But stay with your own view about how great a passer he is. He also doesn't run the ball. OK I get it and I was wrong. Lock and Cam are not the same as you pointed out. They played in two different styles of offense. And that's just to start it off. Lock lacks mobility and is a pocket passer. The same as Cam.Your right there the same physical skill. Locks problem is he struggled with accuracy but has improved each season. But he has a cannon and can make all the throws. That is something Rick and others don't get as he has shown he likes the guys that don't have an arm like the stiffs Teddy and Ponder. They both had low round physical ability. Below is an overview of Lock.
“I like Lock a lot, especially his arm strength and his delivery. He looked very good at the combine and has improved his footwork greatly. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he turns out to be the best quarterback in this draft class because he brings so much to the table. He’s bigger than Murray and Haskins. He’s not mobile but he has a great feel in the pocket and he sees the field well. He’s also been tested in the SEC and he has a ton of maturity.
That's not Newton even though you think it is.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

MrPurplenGold wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am
YikesVikes wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:32 pm I will never say anything bad about Rick if he Lands me Ford and Hakeem Butler. He can do whatever he wants with the rest of the draft but Ford in the 1st and Butler in the 2nd would make me a fan. Trading up to grab an injured Simmions at the start of the 3rd would be even better, While still drafting. another OL in the 3rd. To dream!!!
I don't know if I can see the Vikings picking Ford. He's not a real good fit in the new zone blocking scheme the vikings are trying to use. At 329 lbs, i think he's a little too heavy. He also tested towards the bottom of every speed metric at the combine. That doesn't mean he won't be a good tackle or guard, i just don't see him as a scheme fit. While Oklahoma ran some zone scheme concepts, I don't think they asked Ford to pull or get out in space a lot. He seemed to do a lot of down blocks or 1 on 1 blocks.
My feeling also. He's not a fit for this soft scheme we are running. He's too big and doesn't have the feet. I pointed out in another post I would prefer a huge line that can move people. This new OL coach we have is just the opposite. He wants smaller athletes. Good luck with that. IMO size always win. And as I stated Ford will be there. He won't be picked earlier because he's not good enough. But he's not a fit for this wuss scheme anyway. God I hate playing soft football. Drive them off the ball and be done with it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The Vikings have re-signed C/G Brett Jones. Solid depth signing there. Glad we got him back
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:39 am The Vikings have re-signed C/G Brett Jones. Solid depth signing there. Glad we got him back
Did he get any other interest? I know he was mulling over the Vikings offer but didn't see who else he visited.