Norv Turner is in the fold too

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: Norv Turner is in the fold too

Post by thatguy »

PurpleHalo wrote:It's being reported this morning by Shefter that he is in as OC.

Not happy with this for one reason, it almost assures that the Browns draft manziel. :steamed:
Why do you put the hiring of Norv and the drafting of Manziel together?
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Lot of people didn't realize this but Cassel was pretty damn good last year. It's easy to get caught up in defending Ponder though and since Ponder's play was so awful, you can only shine that pig up so much and the next best thing is to try and bring Cassel down to his level.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The title of that article makes me chuckle because it re-emphasizes just how extinct the deep ball has been on this team. :lol:

I've been on the Cassel for stopgap movement for a bit now. He's the perfect guy for this job. He isn't the most efficient quarterback and makes mistakes that make you cringe, but he also mixes in very good plays and he can stretch the field.

I really hope Spielman has the same vision I do because I think it can work perfectly by going best defensive player availabe at #8 with Mettenberger in round 2 or McCarron in round 3 and have them sit and learn behind Casssel for a year. Those are smart Q's, so they will be ready by year 2. It puts this team and those Q's in the best spot to be successful.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

How quick we forget. I do not want the Vikings to go into 2014 depending on Matt Cassel in any manner. He had nearly as many ints. 9 as he did tds. 11. His 32.6 QB. rating against the Bengals (1 td. 3 ints.) was almost as disturbing or more than Freeman's one game. Yeah Ponder was not the answer but neither is Cassel. He had the 23rd ranked QBR, three lower than Ponder's 20th ranked.
This team needs to sign another veteran QB and fill the rest through the draft. Maybe even drafting as many a 2 qbs.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

thatguy wrote: Why do you put the hiring of Norv and the drafting of Manziel together?
Manziel doesn't seem like a Norv type passer.
This space available for rent.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Purple bruise wrote:How quick we forget. I do not want the Vikings to go into 2014 depending on Matt Cassel in any manner. He had nearly as many ints. 9 as he did tds. 11. His 32.6 QB. rating against the Bengals (1 td. 3 ints.) was almost as disturbing or more than Freeman's one game. Yeah Ponder was not the answer but neither is Cassel. He had the 23rd ranked QBR, three lower than Ponder's 20th ranked.
This team needs to sign another veteran QB and fill the rest through the draft. Maybe even drafting as many a 2 qbs.

And which veteran QB would that be? (Ignoring for the moment your cherry picking only the worst of Matt Cassel ).
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Purple bruise wrote:H Cassel ... had the 23rd ranked QBR, three lower than Ponder's 20th ranked.
Just as an aside, I am much more interested in the "clutch" component of the QBR when the rare instance comes up that I care to check such a stat.
I think our "boys" are about equally dismal (last time I checked) but they slide down to like 27th/28th? or so in the league.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Webbfann wrote:
And which veteran QB would that be? (Ignoring for the moment your cherry picking only the worst of Matt Cassel ).
Cherry picking huh. :roll: 23rd. ranked QBR! Those are his 2013 stats.
Chad Henne, Josh McCown, Kellen Clemens,, Matt Flynn, Michael Vick, I would take any of those over Cassel and would really like McCown.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Purple bruise wrote: Cherry picking huh. :roll: Those are his 2013 stats.
Chad Henne, Josh McCown, Kellen Clemens,, Matt Flynn, Michael Vick, I would take any of those over Cassel and would really like McCown.
Wouldn't even roster any of those 3 stiffs.
This space available for rent.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Purple bruise wrote: Cherry picking huh. :roll: 23rd. ranked QBR! Those are his 2013 stats.
Cherry picking is when you only choose data that agrees with your conclusion. You failed to mention anything positive about Cassel, and nobody on your list has ever been reliably any better than Cassel except dogboy.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Cassel may have been accurate deep but his short and medium game was average at best, and that's being generous.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is saying Cassel is a long term answer. I just hope they don't reach for someone at #8 just because they're so desperate for a QB. I'd much rather them take BPA at #8 (if that's a QB, then GREAT!) than waste another 3 years with Ponder #2 (or TJoke #3 if you will :D )
Last edited by VikingPaul73 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

if someone anoints cassel the starter and gives him a training camp and all the first team reps that go along with it he would throw for 25 touchdowns easily. this past season he didn't even know if he was starting week to week.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

PurpleHalo wrote:This is what I wanted, everything new! And that is exactly what we are getting! A modern passing game! :rock:

I wanted that Childress funk gone, this is all a dream come true!
Amen, Amen, let all the remnants of Childress be gone
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Purple bruise wrote: Cherry picking huh. :roll: 23rd. ranked QBR! Those are his 2013 stats.
You're using QBR. Unless you can explain how it's actually calculated, it's worthless. I'd rather use almost any measurement other than QBR. On the CQBRI(Crax QB ranking index), Cassel gets a "alright", while ponder gets a "worthless".
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Crax wrote: You're using QBR. Unless you can explain how it's actually calculated, it's worthless. I'd rather use almost any measurement other than QBR. On the CQBRI(Crax QB ranking index), Cassel gets a "alright", while ponder gets a "worthless".
Passer rating, QBR, the eyeball test..all tell me the same thing. We have two below average football players in Matt and Chris.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2