Whats your Favorite Beer ?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Cliff wrote:Maybe enjoying wine and beer is something that comes with age.

I can't stand any beer I've ever tried. It just doesn't taste good. Wine is pretty much the same though it's certainly more tolerable than beer.
I am trying to think if I ever felt that way when I first started drinking... how old are you?
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

I can't stand any beer I've ever tried. It just doesn't taste good. Wine is pretty much the same though it's certainly more tolerable than beer.
I've always liked sweet drinks like kamikazes, tom collins, and fruity wines. I didn't like beer that much, and I still don't drink much of it unless it is the right beer at the right time or with the right food. Like I stated, I drink much more rootbeer than beer. Then again, when that mighty bratwust is on the plate with kraut and dark mollasses baked bacon beens or Hungarian beef paprikash on spezle, one cannot help but go for a dark yeasty malt brew.
Vikingman wrote:However, not all expensive wines are that great. I have found that people buy the expensive wines when they want to impress someone that they are having over. When they don't do this they usually buy the cheaper stuff.
I agree, but I look for wine that I like the taste of to go with what I am serving. I never show the price, so it could be a $15 bottle or a $5 special.

When I want a glass of wine for sipping, it is usually a cheap white Zin. As long as it tastes good, I could care less how much it costs.

I have purchased some really nice wines that aged well and were worth $60-$120 a bottle when I uncorked them. Of course, I would not purchase wine at $60-$120 a bottle, but I didn't mind drinking them, as I purchased them for less than $20.

On the other hand, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am not drinking any fricking Merlot!
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

Seconded. I don't like either, although Captain Coke is pretty good.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

While browsing through my hometown papers website I found this weekly column.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.d ... ry=APC0402

What a job. Go out, drink beer, and write about it.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mefford76 wrote: I am trying to think if I ever felt that way when I first started drinking... how old are you?
I turn 25 May 24th.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Minniman wrote:
On the other hand, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am not drinking any fricking Merlot!
I'm with you and Mefferd... I can't stand the flavor of beer. I can't recall the last beer I drank-- must have been well over 15 years ago.

Wine on the other hand is just fine now and again, though I don't drink it much. I prefer sweet wines, but I can finish a glass of Cab or Merlot without too much struggle (certainly 100 times easier than beer).

What's wrong with Merlot by the way? As reds go it's one of the ones I prefer.
Craig S
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

cstelter wrote: I'm with you and Mefferd... I can't stand the flavor of beer. I can't recall the last beer I drank-- must have been well over 15 years ago.

Wine on the other hand is just fine now and again, though I don't drink it much. I prefer sweet wines, but I can finish a glass of Cab or Merlot without too much struggle (certainly 100 times easier than beer).

What's wrong with Merlot by the way? As reds go it's one of the ones I prefer.
Its a memorable line from "Sideways." Though a lot of people don't like merlot as it is very dry.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

wang_chi7 wrote: Its a memorable line from "Sideways." Though a lot of people don't like merlot as it is very dry.
Hah! Crossing threads I see, we could always morph this thread into movie quotes about alcohol ;-).

Thanks for explaining.
--
Craig
Craig S
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Yeah, it's from Sideways. I had to get that in there.

Merlot is overrated in my opinion, but most of the time people just purchase it and don't cellar it like dark reds should be. The tannin concentration is often too high right off the shelf. It's like drinking blood and Nutrasweet.

I generally enjoy a well aged Cabernet much more with dark red meat.

:pour:
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

wang_chi7 wrote: Its a memorable line from "Sideways." Though a lot of people don't like merlot as it is very dry.
I love dry red wines, but as cheap american Merlots go, they tend to retain the flavor of the yeast...quite dreadful. As I only drink Cheap wine, I'll go for a cab or a chianti...much harder to screw up.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Minniman wrote:Yeah, it's from Sideways. I had to get that in there.

Merlot is overrated in my opinion, but most of the time people just purchase it and don't cellar it like dark reds should be. The tannin concentration is often too high right off the shelf. It's like drinking blood and Nutrasweet.

I generally enjoy a well aged Cabernet much more with dark red meat.

:pour:
yeah, I just buy and drink so maybe thats part of the problem. I have had good merlot, but it was in Italy. never had a good merlot here.

by the way, whats with people not liking the taste of beer and drinking sweet wines...? Is this a meeting of the Ya Ya Sisterhood or the Vikings Bar? 8) :wink:
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The only wines I like are fortified wines, box wines, and wine coolers.
:lol: :oops:
BigMo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by BigMo »

Most Austrian Beers I experienced were very hearty and good. But I'll always be a Heiney Man since I drank that stuff like a fish growing up in Holland!!!!!!! And no, it isn't even the same beer that is labeled Heineken and sold here in the states! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!
We used to go the the Heiney Brewery on Mondays during the holidays and summer months. We'd pay a 5 guilder($2) entry fee and were able to sit and drink our fill of Heiney right from the brewing vats till we couldn't see straight! Last thing I heard is they now limit brewery visits to a 3 hour max time! LOL! Guess they learned their lesson about American ingenuity and free loading! LOL!!!
My most favorite seasonal beer was the "DoppelBach" or "Double Dark X-Mas beer" we'd buy by the cases. A beer distributor would actually drive on base, go barracks to barracks and sell his wears! Beers, wines, sodas! I was surprised they didn't have a selection of hemp to choose from! LOL!!
Here is another X-Mas Beer actually known as Santa Claus Beer! Also the strongest lager in the world!!!!
Egger Beer
The Egger Beer is a typical Austrian Märzenbier, mildly hoppy, highly fermented and full-bodied in taste. With 5.2% alcohol by volume and original gravity of 11.8ºPlato, it is a highly drinkable, well-rounded beer with a pronounced malt flavor. Award winner at national and international beer competitions, Gold Medal winner and holder of Monde Selection International High Quality Trophy.

“Märzen” is derived from the German word for the month of March, März. Traditionally, beer was brewed in the autumn, and the barrels of beer would be covered with ice during the cold winter months. By the time the ice melted in March, the beer would be ready to drink.
Viesen, or wheat beer was also very popular among American GI's living in Europe. It certainly went well with any dinner menu and made going to the local gasthaus easier!
Anyone going to Innsbruck in the future be sure to mark the Adambrau as your beer of choice. It is very very good!