Movie Quotes

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Raptorman wrote: Pulp Fiction

"What's the matter, old timer? Don't you remember this song? "
Yankee Doodle Dandy (I did cheat and look it up on this one)

Person 1: Clear them little bottles off. And when I get off the phone here, call up Hyman and tell him I want it wall to wall with John Daniels.

Person 2: Don't you mean Jack Daniels?

Person 1: He may be Jack to you son, but when you've known him as long as I have... that's a joke.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Person 1: Clear them little bottles off. And when I get off the phone here, call up Hyman and tell him I want it wall to wall with John Daniels.

Person 2: Don't you mean Jack Daniels?

Person 1: He may be Jack to you son, but when you've known him as long as I have... that's a joke.
Scent of a Woman

Character 1: "This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training."

Character 2: "Why don't you put her in charge?"
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Minniman wrote:

Character 1: "This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training."

Character 2: "Why don't you put her in charge?"

Aliens

"What knockers!"
"Thank you, Doctor."

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

"Young Frankenstein;" about the only Mel Brooks movie I can stand.

"Is there any risk of brain damage?"

"Well, technically speaking, the operation is brain damage, but it's on a par with a night of heavy drinking. Nothing you'll miss."
spencer ellerbusch
Veteran

Post by spencer ellerbusch »

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Rite?

ok my quote is (not sure in rite order but yall shud know this)

When i was hungry, I ate
When i was tired, I slept
When i had to go, I went
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

I don't know the movie, Spencer, but that is from a zen koan. "When you are tired, sleep. When you are hungry, eat your rice. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men know what I mean."

And yes, you were right on Eternal Sunshine.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

spencer ellerbusch wrote:Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Rite?

ok my quote is (not sure in rite order but yall shud know this)

When i was hungry, I ate
When i was tired, I slept
When i had to go, I went
Forrest Gump-- during his run iirc

This one may be too obscure, but it's one of the funniest things I've heard

They're only open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Saturday and Sunday, they're closed.
Craig S
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Ah, Forrest Gump, makes sense, as he's a modern-day zen hero of sorts. Other Craig, that's gotta be some 'welcome to the boonies' movies like "Doc Hollywood" or "Welcome to Mooseport."

I'll come back and check if I'm right.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Mr. X wrote: Thanks for the suggestion but I'd consider anything to do with Brook Busey (a/k/a Diablo Cody) a waste of time. I thought the screenplay for Juno was formulaic mush that's been done hundreds of times before. There was nothing at all original about it. The fact that she won an oscar for Juno only serves to expose the Academy Awards as a farcical popularity contest. Have to believe that a big part of why she was nominated and won was due to the novelty of a former stripper turned (cough) screenwriter (cough) who changed her name to Diablo Cody.
I just finished Juno, and absolutely loved it. I was afraid it would be something like Napoleon Dynamite (which I absolutely hated.) The character development drew me in. Wasn't all that original in its storyline, but it was perfectly cast and well directed. Would have been a movie I would skip if it didn't get the attention, as it looked dumb. Wasn't as good as No Country for Old Men, but was defintely worth a nomination for best picture.

Now Michael Clayton, I thought that movie stunk. The last couple of minutes were good, but the rest of the movie was just terribly boring and unspectacular. I can't wait to see "There Will Be Blood," but just haven't gotten around to it yet; with PT Anderson writing/directing and Daniel-Day Lewis starring it just has to be good. Atonement I'll likely eventually watch.
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

I thought Juno was very well written for what it was, although the incredible performances of the big 4 in the movie (Page, Serra, Bateman, Garner) and the wonderfully stylistic art direction certainly helped Ms. Cody's cause. As a screenwriter, I consider Juno to be a writer's wet dream because it cost very little to make and grossed like hundreds of millions of dollars. One can only hope to write a movie that performs that well. Ms. Cody will be able to sell whatever she wants unless and until a couple bombs tarnish her value.

FWIW, I loved "No Country" and "Napoleon," although "Napoleon" wasn't much on plot, and I can't say I loved the screenplay b/c of that. But great vision, and way to carry it out; kudos to the Hesses.

Ooh, I didn't know "There Will Be Blood" was PT Anderson, I'll watch anything he does.

Haven't seen Michael Clayton yet, but will...
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

cstelter wrote: Forrest Gump-- during his run iirc

This one may be too obscure, but it's one of the funniest things I've heard

They're only open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Saturday and Sunday, they're closed.
Not a movie, but thats from "Roger and Me," a documentary from my favorite documentarian :roll:

"Do you know what this means? It means this dam [misspelled to avoid filter] thing doesn't work at all!"
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

wang_chi7 wrote: I just finished Juno, and absolutely loved it. I was afraid it would be something like Napoleon Dynamite (which I absolutely hated.) The character development drew me in. Wasn't all that original in its storyline, but it was perfectly cast and well directed. Would have been a movie I would skip if it didn't get the attention, as it looked dumb. Wasn't as good as No Country for Old Men, but was defintely worth a nomination for best picture.

Now Michael Clayton, I thought that movie stunk. The last couple of minutes were good, but the rest of the movie was just terribly boring and unspectacular. I can't wait to see "There Will Be Blood," but just haven't gotten around to it yet; with PT Anderson writing/directing and Daniel-Day Lewis starring it just has to be good. Atonement I'll likely eventually watch.
Couldn't agree more. I really enjoyed Juno as well and hated Napoleon and thought michael clayton was just "eh". Have to say...There will be blood was possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. In fact, forget possibly. It WAS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. yes, Daniel Day Lewis is good, but its a dumb movie based on a dumb short story, written by a goofy author (upton sinclair) with the worst performance by a supporting actor of any movie ever nominated for an academy award. There...that should sufficiently lower your expectations :wink: ...but I'll be suprised if you like it.

edit* I almost forgot to mention the dreadfully intrusive sound track.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

wang_chi7 wrote:
"Do you know what this means? It means this dam [misspelled to avoid filter] thing doesn't work at all!"
Napolian Dynamite right?

Smells like... burnt dog hair
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

TrenchGoon wrote:Have to say...There will be blood was possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. In fact, forget possibly. It WAS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. yes, Daniel Day Lewis is good, but its a dumb movie based on a dumb short story, written by a goofy author (upton sinclair) with the worst performance by a supporting actor of any movie ever nominated for an academy award. There...that should sufficiently lower your expectations :wink: ...but I'll be suprised if you like it.

edit* I almost forgot to mention the dreadfully intrusive sound track.
PT Anderson has that effect on some people. DId you enjoy "Punch Drunk Love" and/or "Magnolia?" Two of his more controversial films, aesthetically speaking. I know someone who says "Punch Drunk Love" was the worst movie she'd ever seen, and I just disagree.

Fair enough, I'll still see it, but I appreciate you saying what you thought.

EDIT: Mefford, did you mean to say "Smells like a turd covered in burnt dog hair" ?? (or like a diaper filled with Indian food)??
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

Colinito wrote: EDIT: Mefford, did you mean to say "Smells like a turd covered in burnt dog hair" ?? (or like a diaper filled with Indian food)??
no i did not :)