Pre Season Game 2

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Pre Season Game 2

Post by CharVike »

Not much going on in this one. I read the Browns joint practice was physical. I'm not sure how much Nick will play. He has proven that he's a good backup who can move the ball. Not a bad player to have on the team. If he could stop playing hero ball he would be the best backup in the game. I read Risen is giving Ingram a push. Two backups fighting for a starter spot.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Pre Season Game 2

Post by VikingLord »

I'd expect Darnold to probably get in another initial series and after that I'd expect to see a lot of either Mullens or Hall (probably Hall).

As for the game itself, I'll be most interested in how the Vikings OL plays, especially if the Browns give their starting front 4 more snaps and I'd expect KOC to keep his starters in as long as they do. There isn't a better test of an OL than what the Browns starting line can do and from reports out of the joint practices those guys don't go easy even in the preseason.

I'm also interested to see how the Vikings secondary plays, especially the depth players. They looked a bit shaky against the Raiders so I'll be looking for any signs that they can work out the kinks as this continues to be the position group I'm most concerned about heading into the season.

Beyond that I don't expect much as I don't think either coach really cares about winning in the preseason.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:26 pm I'd expect Darnold to probably get in another initial series and after that I'd expect to see a lot of either Mullens or Hall (probably Hall).

As for the game itself, I'll be most interested in how the Vikings OL plays, especially if the Browns give their starting front 4 more snaps and I'd expect KOC to keep his starters in as long as they do. There isn't a better test of an OL than what the Browns starting line can do and from reports out of the joint practices those guys don't go easy even in the preseason.

I'm also interested to see how the Vikings secondary plays, especially the depth players. They looked a bit shaky against the Raiders so I'll be looking for any signs that they can work out the kinks as this continues to be the position group I'm most concerned about heading into the season.

Beyond that I don't expect much as I don't think either coach really cares about winning in the preseason.
Jay Ward is an interesting player. He reminds me of Bynum. He's in his 2nd year which should be a huge growth year. There could be a few CBs that might develop into something that can play at a reasonable level. Our OL has been middle of the road to bad for a long time. There are some positives there. Our starting OTs are good players. O'Neil worries me because of age and getting injured every year now. They picked Rouse who was a later pick but will be given time behind the starters. He has long arms. Like most of these kids he needs to get stronger. He's a long shot but you never know what time will do for him. Bradbury was never a favorite of mine. Playing below 300 is a joke. I like size but obviously there's more to it. He's gotten bigger and stronger so maybe he won't get destroyed in the red zone when things tighten. We have nothing a G. We are shuttling the same 3. Every team will bring heat up the middle. I like Risner because he plays tough, hustles and seems to enjoy the game and he leads. The bottom line he sucks. No team offered him anything in FA. That tells the story. But he's great depth. They better get that fixed or there is no sense throwing a kid QB into that mess. He will be destroyed very quickly. It happens all the time with teams that can't see this. No team creates a wall of nothing coming in unless they play a garbage team. With the 1's our team marched down but got nothing in 4 plays. One carry and a wall of bodies. I think we lost yards. Don't they see this? No push again. If I was the HC I would have told the 1's stay in there and march down and knock it in this time.
If you don't we will do it again and again.....
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

I have not been here for a long time. 2 years ago I gave up on football because I was tired of “picking losers” and deleted everything to do with football, all my links to everything, but googled and found this board again and LOL found my password and user name. So, I just wanted to say that …. “Maybe” since a Minnesotan may become VP of America, that may be a positive that the Vikings will not only get to the Super Bowl again ….but…just may get their first win. Just a very wishful possibility.
Go Vikes!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Only 1 starter played today Ingram. Must have been a punishment or work needed.
In what was a massive day for the former first-round pick, Lewis Cine needed a day like he had today. He gathered a whopping 11 total tackles, one interception, one pass breakup, one sack, two quarterback hits, and one tackle for loss. He very well could have earned himself a roster spot today or, at the very least, a chance to do so next week.
Last year, it was Ivan Pace Jr.; this year, it could be Dwight McGlothern and Bo Richter who make the roster as UDFAs from the 2024 NFL Draft cycle. Both made big plays on Saturday, one of which was Richter, who got his third sack in two games for the Vikings. Those types of big defensive plays are going to be the center point of any success the team has in 2024.

https://sports.yahoo.com/5-takeaways-vi ... 56456.html
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:06 pm Only 1 starter played today Ingram. Must have been a punishment or work needed.
In what was a massive day for the former first-round pick, Lewis Cine needed a day like he had today. He gathered a whopping 11 total tackles, one interception, one pass breakup, one sack, two quarterback hits, and one tackle for loss. He very well could have earned himself a roster spot today or, at the very least, a chance to do so next week.
Last year, it was Ivan Pace Jr.; this year, it could be Dwight McGlothern and Bo Richter who make the roster as UDFAs from the 2024 NFL Draft cycle. Both made big plays on Saturday, one of which was Richter, who got his third sack in two games for the Vikings. Those types of big defensive plays are going to be the center point of any success the team has in 2024.

I was super psyched when the Vikings got Richter. He was a player like Ivan Pace that I expected someone would spend at least a mid-round pick on and like Pace he ends up undrafted. Well, the rest of the league's loss. I honestly didn't expect Richter to have a chance to work his way into the starting lineup at any point this year and thought he'd just end up on special teams highlight reels, but it looks like for the 2nd year in a row KAM might have lucked his way into another UDFA who not only wins significant playing time out of the gate but becomes an impact player to boot.

I really do not understand what NFL scouts are looking at when they evaluate the LB position (including the Vikings). I thought based on their college tape both Pace and Richter would come off the board no later than round 4.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:55 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:06 pm Only 1 starter played today Ingram. Must have been a punishment or work needed.

I was super psyched when the Vikings got Richter. He was a player like Ivan Pace that I expected someone would spend at least a mid-round pick on and like Pace he ends up undrafted. Well, the rest of the league's loss. I honestly didn't expect Richter to have a chance to work his way into the starting lineup at any point this year and thought he'd just end up on special teams highlight reels, but it looks like for the 2nd year in a row KAM might have lucked his way into another UDFA who not only wins significant playing time out of the gate but becomes an impact player to boot.

I really do not understand what NFL scouts are looking at when they evaluate the LB position (including the Vikings). I thought based on their college tape both Pace and Richter would come off the board no later than round 4.
KAM needs all the luck he can get. Certainly hasn't shown much skill so far with anything he has touched.
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

Who are KOC and KAM?
Go Vikes!
makila
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by makila »

VikingBolt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:48 pm Who are KOC and KAM?
Kevin O’Connell
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

VikingBolt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:48 pm Who are KOC and KAM?
Thank you, it’s been awhile since being here. I appreciate your reply. :appl:
Go Vikes!