Extensions threads

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I think the major extensions that need to be done are in the following order.
Justin Jefferson. Is going to cost possibly 30Million or more a year. Yikes.
Kirk Cousins. Minimum $35 Million a year if he plays well this year.
Christian Darrisaw. Got to be 20Million plus.
Danielle Hunter is up for extension next year. 20Million or more
Hockenson and he has his own thread

A prediction. The Vikings are going to resign Kirk before next season. I see no way the Vikings will waste several of JJ's best years gambling on a rookie and waiting for him to develop. I also don't see any way we can trade for or sign a quality QB in free agency. Kirk will be back out of necessity and I can even see Kirk and JJ making a pact to both take a little less to stay together.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1295
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm
x 85

Re: Extensions threads

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:55 pm I think the major extensions that need to be done are in the following order.
Justin Jefferson. Is going to cost possibly 30Million or more a year. Yikes.
Kirk Cousins. Minimum $35 Million a year if he plays well this year.
Christian Darrisaw. Got to be 20Million plus.
Danielle Hunter is up for extension next year. 20Million or more
Hockenson and he has his own thread

A prediction. The Vikings are going to resign Kirk before next season. I see no way the Vikings will waste several of JJ's best years gambling on a rookie and waiting for him to develop. I also don't see any way we can trade for or sign a quality QB in free agency. Kirk will be back out of necessity and I can even see Kirk and JJ making a pact to both take a little less to stay together.
I hear the Vikings want to get jjs deal done before the season starts. This should be the first and only priority till jj is signed. If any player is going to rewrite the market for their position it better be jj, especially with tj talking about rewriting the TE market. I hope KAM heard that and thought if anyone’s going to get that it’s jj and get this deal done. I agree with your list of priority.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:55 pm I think the major extensions that need to be done are in the following order.
Justin Jefferson. Is going to cost possibly 30Million or more a year. Yikes.
Kirk Cousins. Minimum $35 Million a year if he plays well this year.
Christian Darrisaw. Got to be 20Million plus.
Danielle Hunter is up for extension next year. 20Million or more
Hockenson and he has his own thread

A prediction. The Vikings are going to resign Kirk before next season. I see no way the Vikings will waste several of JJ's best years gambling on a rookie and waiting for him to develop. I also don't see any way we can trade for or sign a quality QB in free agency. Kirk will be back out of necessity and I can even see Kirk and JJ making a pact to both take a little less to stay together.
I hear the Vikings want to get jjs deal done before the season starts. This should be the first and only priority till jj is signed. If any player is going to rewrite the market for their position it better be jj, especially with tj talking about rewriting the TE market. I hope KAM heard that and thought if anyone’s going to get that it’s jj and get this deal done. I agree with your list of priority.
I'm just looking forward to the Vikings announcing JJ and Kirks extensions together.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 749

Re: Extensions threads

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:55 pm I think the major extensions that need to be done are in the following order.
Justin Jefferson. Is going to cost possibly 30Million or more a year. Yikes.
Kirk Cousins. Minimum $35 Million a year if he plays well this year.
Christian Darrisaw. Got to be 20Million plus.
Danielle Hunter is up for extension next year. 20Million or more
Hockenson and he has his own thread

A prediction. The Vikings are going to resign Kirk before next season. I see no way the Vikings will waste several of JJ's best years gambling on a rookie and waiting for him to develop. I also don't see any way we can trade for or sign a quality QB in free agency. Kirk will be back out of necessity and I can even see Kirk and JJ making a pact to both take a little less to stay together.
I hear the Vikings want to get jjs deal done before the season starts. This should be the first and only priority till jj is signed. If any player is going to rewrite the market for their position it better be jj, especially with tj talking about rewriting the TE market. I hope KAM heard that and thought if anyone’s going to get that it’s jj and get this deal done. I agree with your list of priority.
"I don't want to be the Vikings GM without that guy on our team," Adofo-Mensah said, per ESPN. "So it's a high priority. We've got to make sure we do in the order that we can do it in, obviously, given all of our other decisions we have to make."
Well KAM you still have another year on your own contract and JJ will still be here. Your safe. Solve the high priority stuff like finding some help for the IOL before somebody gets hurt real bad. Ask Flo why he's stacking the DL with NTs. That's OK for 3'rd an inches or a goal line stand but it makes no sense for 1st and 10. He should be building front to back. He's going after the bells and whistles first.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Gone quiet on extensions. That's usually good news.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 749

Re: Extensions threads

Post by CharVike »

Safety Josh Metellus and the Vikings agreed to a two-year extension worth up to $13 million, including $6 million guaranteed, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Thursday.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:40 am Safety Josh Metellus and the Vikings agreed to a two-year extension worth up to $13 million, including $6 million guaranteed, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Thursday.
Wow Metellus is now set for life. Good for him. I hope his play merits the extension.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 749

Re: Extensions threads

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:21 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:40 am Safety Josh Metellus and the Vikings agreed to a two-year extension worth up to $13 million, including $6 million guaranteed, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Thursday.
Wow Metellus is now set for life. Good for him. I hope his play merits the extension.
He played hard for us and earned his keep by developing his skills and making a great contribution on ST's. He's backing up Smith and he missed some playing time last year. He will be needed at some point.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:13 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:21 am
Wow Metellus is now set for life. Good for him. I hope his play merits the extension.
He played hard for us and earned his keep by developing his skills and making a great contribution on ST's. He's backing up Smith and he missed some playing time last year. He will be needed at some point.
For the money he's being paid he better be more than just a backup. It's my understanding that Metellus will play when we go 3 safeties and I think that will be over 50% of the time.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3615
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 pm
x 749

Re: Extensions threads

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:28 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:13 am
He played hard for us and earned his keep by developing his skills and making a great contribution on ST's. He's backing up Smith and he missed some playing time last year. He will be needed at some point.
For the money he's being paid he better be more than just a backup. It's my understanding that Metellus will play when we go 3 safeties and I think that will be over 50% of the time.
We'll see. Bynum's agent must like this. He has and will play many more snaps on D and he's up soon. Open the till.
User avatar
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee
Posts: 4201
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 pm
x 750

Re: Extensions threads

Post by VikingsVictorious »

A report is out that JJ and the Vikings have broken off contract talks and won't revisit them until next year.

Report: Vikings, Justin Jefferson to resume talks after season
By
Mike Florio

Published September 10, 2023 12:10 AM


I personally don't believe this means we won't get a deal done during the season.
makila
Franchise Player
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 171

Re: Extensions threads

Post by makila »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:43 pm A report is out that JJ and the Vikings have broken off contract talks and won't revisit them until next year.

Report: Vikings, Justin Jefferson to resume talks after season
By
Mike Florio

Published September 10, 2023 12:10 AM


I personally don't believe this means we won't get a deal done during the season.
Agree that it could still get done, we haven't seen how JJ and his camp operate fully yet regarding contract talks. Some players really don't want to deal with it once games are happening however.

Does make me a little nervous...really thought they'd hammer it out before today's game.
Image
makila
Franchise Player
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:43 pm
x 171

Re: Extensions threads

Post by makila »

O'Neill had his contract restructured on Saturday.



Image