Marion Barber III Dead at 38.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Candidate

Marion Barber III Dead at 38.

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Death is part of life. A part that really sucks. I thought it must be Marion Barber Jr., but no it's the only 38 year old Marion Barber III. RIP Marion.

MARION BARBER III
Former Cowboys Star
DEAD AT 38
BREAKING NEWS
6/1/2022 4:04 PM PT

Getty
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Marion Barber III was found dead in his apartment on Wednesday. He was just 38 years old.

Barber -- a Pro Bowler in 2007 -- was found by Frisco Police, according to the Dallas Star-Telegram. Further information has not been made available.

"We are heartbroken by the tragic death of Marion Barber III," the Dallas Cowboys said in a statement.

"Marion was an old-school, hard-nosed football player who ran with the will to win every down. He had a passion for the game and love for his coaches and teammates."

"Our hearts go out to Marion's family and friends during this difficult time."

The former University of Minnesota star had a solid pro career spanning seven seasons ... suiting up for, most notably, the Cowboys from 2005-2010. He also played one season with the Chicago Bears.

Barber was a 4th-round pick ... earning 4,780 rushing yards and 53 rushing touchdowns over 99 total games. His rough running style earned him the nickname, "Marion the Barbarian."

Barber III's dad, Marion Jr., and brother, Dominique, also played in the NFL ... and his youngest brother, Thomas, played at Minnesota as well.

Barber fell on hard times following his pro career -- most recently, he was arrested in 2019 after allegedly damaging multiple cars in 2018. He pleaded no contest to close out the case in late April.

Barber's passing comes one week before his 39th birthday -- June 10.
Foreman44
Veteran

Re: Marion Barber III Dead at 38.

Post by Foreman44 »

Loved him as a Gopher. The gophers was loaded at RB for a couple yrs at that time. Barber was one. Three wvas one or two others I don’t recall.
Foreman44
Veteran

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I actually remembered the other was Lawrence Maroney. Such a shame. Wasn't it Marion Barber Jr. who had the big game against undefeated #1 ranked Michigan when we upset them?
cmoss84
Starter

Post by cmoss84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 pm Loved him as a Gopher. The gophers was loaded at RB for a couple yrs at that time. Barber was one. Three wvas one or two others I don’t recall.
I'm fairly certain they had 4 RBs at one point who played in the NFL...but I could be wrong.

Barber
Maroney
Gary Russell
Thomas Tapeh
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Foreman44
Veteran

Post by Foreman44 »

I am a Bama fan through out. But living my first 22=in Minn. I have a heart for the golden gophers. I loved watching those guys run.