Rodgers' 4 year deal and what it means for the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Rodgers' 4 year deal and what it means for the Vikings

Post by Texas Vike »

Now we know that Rodgers will be with GB for the next four years,
Ian Rapoport@RapSheetThe #Packers and MVP QB Aaron Rodgers have agreed to terms on a 4-year, $200M deal that makes him the highest paid player in NFL history, sources say. He gets a whopping $153M guaranteed and his cap number goes down. A monstrous commitment by GB for years to come. 💰 💰 💰
How does it affect us? The division seems less up for grabs, certainly, so one could argue we would be less likely to have a 'win now' strategy and more of a build a team approach. IMO, it won't change what KAM and KOC are looking to do, but it may make it ever so slightly more likely that we trade Kirk and/or invest a 1st round draft pick in a QB.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Rodgers' 4 year deal and what it means for the Vikings

Post by VikingLord »

The interesting thing about Green Bay with Rodgers is that while they've been very successful, they haven't gotten to or won a Superbowl with him behind center now for a long time. He's individually playing well, but that hasn't translated into ultimate success and he's largely a prima donna now.

I'm not saying this is a poor move by the Packers. Rodgers is a great QB and he's definitely better than any other QB in the NFC North right now. But this is a double-down move on a guy who has been a distraction for his team and who has not gotten that team to the promised land for a long time despite the substantial investments around him.

As for the Vikings, they need to get their QB situation resolved too. It's going to be another year of Cousins, but that doesn't mean the Vikings have to commit to Cousins long term as the Packers are doing with Rodgers. Hopefully KAM and KOC can put together a plan on how to address QB going forward. If they decide to stick with Cousins, they need to show they can build the kind of team around him that can allow his style of play and abilities to shine enough to get the team over the top. That is going to be tough to do with his salary as it stands.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Jordan Love must be hating life right now.

Prior to this Rodgers deal, the Packers were $27 million over the cap, and that's AFTER reworking the deals of David Bahktiari and Aaron Jones. Now they're committing $50 million a year to one guy? He's really good, but he hasn't led that team to a Super Bowl in 12 years. How on earth Green Bay thinks they're going to do it now, with Rodgers taking up a quarter of their salary cap, is beyond me. How are they going to be able to sign quality at other positions, such as Davante Adams?

Honestly, this may solidify Green Bay as a divisional contender, but in my opinion, it greatly weakens their stance as an NFC power.

If the Vikings do something similar to this with Kirk Cousins, they're fools.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

In a sense, it's an admission from the Pack that they do not feel confident in Jordan Love. At least not enough to go that route, and have money to channel towards other positions. Of course, from what we've seen of Love is also not good enough to garner any trade offers for him.

The difference between Kirk and Rodgers is that the latter IS enough of a difference maker to justify the salary and taking ~ 25% of a team's cap.

What's everyone think about the possibility of Denver (or anyone else) now targeting Cousins?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This is probably the best news that will come out of the off season for the future of the MN Vikings. Paying a 40+ year old QB 25% of the cap for then next 4 seasons means after 2022, means GB will be in complete rebuild mode for at least 4 seasons. The Packers are all in on 2022 and once 2023 comes around this team is set to take over the division.

It also means Aaron Rodgers is completely full of sh*t and despite what he said to the media last off season, he does not actually care about winning and only cares about maximizing his earnings. He is an incredibly talented clown who will only end up with only one SB appearance, and that distinction will keep him out of talks of him being top 10 all time.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:04 pm Jordan Love must be hating life right now.

Prior to this Rodgers deal, the Packers were $27 million over the cap, and that's AFTER reworking the deals of David Bahktiari and Aaron Jones. Now they're committing $50 million a year to one guy? He's really good, but he hasn't led that team to a Super Bowl in 12 years. How on earth Green Bay thinks they're going to do it now, with Rodgers taking up a quarter of their salary cap, is beyond me. How are they going to be able to sign quality at other positions, such as Davante Adams?

Honestly, this may solidify Green Bay as a divisional contender, but in my opinion, it greatly weakens their stance as an NFC power.

Love will get traded to a team that will give him a chance to start, so he is probably in a better spot now than he was prior to the extension.

Not sure what his value is, but if Josh Rosen got a 2nd round pick after how terribly he played in AZ, Love will probably get something similar.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:04 pm Jordan Love must be hating life right now.

Love didn't take advantage of his opportunity and that's his fault. He played this year and sucked. Kirk started his 1st game as a 4th round rookie and lead the Skins to victory to keep them alive. That was a come from behind victory which the haters say he's never done. If they let Rodgers go and play that Love stiff they won't ever be in the playoffs. I don't care who they sign when you have a total stiff at QB forget it. Teams are living that right now in the NFL. Like Den, Wash and Carolina. They have no chance with the bum they have behind center. Rodgers will get them to the playoffs and once in the playoffs all bets are off. A team needs to get hot when in the playoffs. If a piece breaks you're done as they found out this year when their ST broke. IMO it will come down to how they draft. If they pick bums like Love over and over then they are done. Why do you think our team has no players on it. Yes JJ is good but overall our drafting has sucked for years. That's top to bottom. You can't build a team when drafting like that. I hope we do sign Cousins. If not then just kick every player out the door. Start over with a blank slab. You might find a good QB next year or in 30 years. You keep a QB but never stop looking. The Packers made a pick but the guy sucks. That will happen most of the time with QBs. Washington has called everybody looking for a QB. They might sign that bum Mitch Trib who is a FA and he won't be cheap because others will be interested. Don't you see how desperate teams are. That includes us and the Packers and that's why they signed Rodgers.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:05 pm

Love didn't take advantage of his opportunity and that's his fault. He played this year and sucked. Kirk started his 1st game as a 4th round rookie and lead the Skins to victory to keep them alive. That was a come from behind victory which the haters say he's never done. If they let Rodgers go and play that Love stiff they won't ever be in the playoffs. I don't care who they sign when you have a total stiff at QB forget it. Teams are living that right now in the NFL. Like Den, Wash and Carolina. They have no chance with the bum they have behind center. Rodgers will get them to the playoffs and once in the playoffs all bets are off. A team needs to get hot when in the playoffs. If a piece breaks you're done as they found out this year when their ST broke. IMO it will come down to how they draft. If they pick bums like Love over and over then they are done. Why do you think our team has no players on it. Yes JJ is good but overall our drafting has sucked for years. That's top to bottom. You can't build a team when drafting like that. I hope we do sign Cousins. If not then just kick every player out the door. Start over with a blank slab. You might find a good QB next year or in 30 years. You keep a QB but never stop looking. The Packers made a pick but the guy sucks. That will happen most of the time with QBs. Washington has called everybody looking for a QB. They might sign that bum Mitch Trib who is a FA and he won't be cheap because others will be interested. Don't you see how desperate teams are. That includes us and the Packers and that's why they signed Rodgers.
You just wrote a book in response to a comment about Jordan Love that was completely tongue-in-cheek.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Oh, and this has little to do with Miss Erin Rodgers, but …

Seattle is trading Russell Wilson to Denver. Freaking George Paton.

To bring the comment back on topic, reports are that Denver never actually targeted Rodgers.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 pm Oh, and this has little to do with Miss Erin Rodgers, but …

To bring the comment back on topic, reports are that Denver never actually targeted Rodgers.
Should have made him our GM when we had the chance. I don't care what they gave up, it was worth it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 pm Oh, and this has little to do with Miss Erin Rodgers, but …

Should have made him our GM when we had the chance. I don't care what they gave up, it was worth it.
Denver could be scary next year. Nathaniel Hackett is going to be a great coach, I believe. The roster is loaded. Now they have a QB. Watch out, Kansas City.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:41 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Denver could be scary next year. Nathaniel Hackett is going to be a great coach, I believe. The roster is loaded. Now they have a QB. Watch out, Kansas City.
Two 1sts, 2 2nds + some change, Noah Fant, Drew Lock and Shelby Harris.

For a QB who will make them instant SB contenders.

Not bad.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:51 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:41 pm

Not bad.
That is a steep price to pay but Wilson is probably worth it.

I agree with Kapp - Wilson is heading into a good situation that should enable him to thrive. Plus, it'll be fun to watch Wilson and Mahomes duel at least twice a year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Not bad.

I agree with Kapp - Wilson is heading into a good situation that should enable him to thrive. Plus, it'll be fun to watch Wilson and Mahomes duel at least twice a year.
It is a steep price until there are names associated with those picks, and then it will be Russel Wilson for 3 or 4 very forgettable players.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Not bad.

And Herbert !!!
3 teams in that division could go 12-5.
Crazy !!!
With Rodgers in GB, will we ever win with Kirk? I do not believe so. I hope that we can trade him for some draft picks.
I would absolutely create the most disruptive DL possible.
Like many have mentioned before, draft a QB every year... Just in case one of them hits !
Also, I am a believer in drafting explosive players and not pursuing FA superstars.
Develop our guys and get hometown discounts to stay put, or let guys go. There is a reason guys hit FA and aren't resigned by their initial Home team. Not sure I want them !