How Do Current Players Fit into 3-4 Scheme?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

How Do Current Players Fit into 3-4 Scheme?

Post by fiestavike »

Curious to know how the current Vikings roster will fit into a reported switch to a 3-4 defense.

Who's a great fit? Who's out? Who is intriguing?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: How Do Current Players Fit into 3-4 Scheme?

Post by StumpHunter »

I would think Watts and Tomlinson could make good 3-4 DE's and Pierce has played 3-4 NT before to pretty good success. Hunter is the big question, and if moving to the 3-4 makes him less impactful as an edge rusher, I am going to have to seriously question the thinking of our new HC. He certainly has the athleticism for the position, he is just a bit taller than most 3-4 OLBers, meaning his large frame and quickness might be wasted at that position.

I would hope they know what they are doing though and that Hunter is either going to be moved for a lot of picks or they feel he can still be elite as a OLB in a 3-4 similar to Mack or Von Miller. Hunter is by far the best player on the D, not quite on Donald's level but right there with TJ Watt and Myles Garret. Not building your defensive around that kind of player if he remains on the team is beyond stupid.

Regardless, Wonnum is not a 3-4 OLB or even a 4-3 DE you want on your team. So whether they stick more with the 4-3 or go to the 3-4, edge rusher is still a big need.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:00 pm I would think Watts and Tomlinson could make good 3-4 DE's and Pierce has played 3-4 NT before to pretty good success. Hunter is the big question, and if moving to the 3-4 makes him less impactful as an edge rusher, I am going to have to seriously question the thinking of our new HC. He certainly has the athleticism for the position, he is just a bit taller than most 3-4 OLBers, meaning his large frame and quickness might be wasted at that position.

I would hope they know what they are doing though and that Hunter is either going to be moved for a lot of picks or they feel he can still be elite as a OLB in a 3-4 similar to Mack or Von Miller. Hunter is by far the best player on the D, not quite on Donald's level but right there with TJ Watt and Myles Garret. Not building your defensive around that kind of player if he remains on the team is beyond stupid.

Regardless, Wonnum is not a 3-4 OLB or even a 4-3 DE you want on your team. So whether they stick more with the 4-3 or go to the 3-4, edge rusher is still a big need.
What do you think about Willekes potential as an 3-4 OLB?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I know Tampa runs a 3-4 and JPP, Shaq, and Tryon rush most of the time. I think it will be the same with Hunter here. When Fangio started in Denver I was disappointed with how he used Von and Chubb but Donatel isn't necessarily the same as Fangio. I think they should build around Hunter not without him. He's likely to be the best pass rusher you will get for a long time. Yannick should never have been traded. Probably another Zimmer mess up. Wasn't a good enough run defender or freelancer too much. He gets after the QB though and that's the rarest attribute for a dlineman.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:00 pm I would think Watts and Tomlinson could make good 3-4 DE's and Pierce has played 3-4 NT before to pretty good success. Hunter is the big question, and if moving to the 3-4 makes him less impactful as an edge rusher, I am going to have to seriously question the thinking of our new HC. He certainly has the athleticism for the position, he is just a bit taller than most 3-4 OLBers, meaning his large frame and quickness might be wasted at that position.

What do you think about Willekes potential as an 3-4 OLB?
I think Willekes is a better edge rusher than Wonnum but is a pretty bad fit as a 3-4 OLBer. He isn't fast enough to play that position well.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Tbh I'm least worried about Hunter, in fact I think he will excel and OLB. Probably not a popular opinion however I Think Barr should of been a 3-4 OLB from the beginning. Concern would be MLB, in a 3-4 don't you need two good ones? Kendrick's just turned 30, don't know if id like to bet the bank on Dye yet.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

allday1991 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 am

Tbh I'm least worried about Hunter, in fact I think he will excel and OLB. Probably not a popular opinion however I Think Barr should of been a 3-4 OLB from the beginning. Concern would be MLB, in a 3-4 don't you need two good ones? Kendrick's just turned 30, don't know if id like to bet the bank on Dye yet.
Barr is gone and I would be shocked if he were willing to re-sign with the team that just cost him millions. The only reason he might is because the GM who forced him to rework his deal is gone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think he will do what fits the personnel he has. As he said he will use multiple fronts.
WILL RAGATZ FEB 24, 2022
In his early days as a defensive coordinator with the Packers and Falcons from 2000 to 2006, Donatell coached a 4-3 scheme. But over the past 11 years with Fangio, he's been a 3-4 guy. In Minnesota, with Donatell separated from Fangio for the first time in a dozen years, he's going to do a little bit of both. It'll be a 3-4 defense that also uses four-man fronts, especially because the base defense in the modern NFL is nickel personnel with five defensive backs.

"It's going to be a multiple, dictating 3-4 and 4-3 setup," Donatell said. "Just know we'll have both fronts. That will make us hard to play against. Everything else we'll do will be engineered to make it hard for the quarterback. That's physically and mentally. Keystone foundation points: we're going to set edges.

Can anything be any worse than what the guru Zim put out there? Zim never created a D that could function in the playoffs. The 49ers pounded the rock down his D throat as they dominated the LOS to gain 38 minutes of TOP with 186 ground yards. N Foles looked like the best to ever step on a football field. Bottom line Zim's D couldn't perform against the contenders. Pretenders is where he made his mark and that won't work.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:14 am
allday1991 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 am

Barr is gone and I would be shocked if he were willing to re-sign with the team that just cost him millions. The only reason he might is because the GM who forced him to rework his deal is gone.
Agreed Barr will probably be gone, just a hunch I've had watching him throughout the years that he would of been a better OLB in a 3-4 but the point is moot cause he is no longer a Viking. What's your thoughts on Dye or who we could throw in as our 2nd MLB beside Kendrick's?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

He is obviously not a current player, but did not know what thread to put this in...

...Bobby Wagner...released. Would he fit in a 3-4 scheme (at his ripe old age of 32, after putting up 170 tackles)? Thanks for any feedback.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:50 pm He is obviously not a current player, but did not know what thread to put this in...

...Bobby Wagner...released. Would he fit in a 3-4 scheme (at his ripe old age of 32, after putting up 170 tackles)? Thanks for any feedback.
I think he's too old to be a fit with the direction of this team.

If they somehow plan to have even a slim chance of contending this year, it's going to come through adding offensive weapons and being near league best in scoring. If they add a 32 year old FA, he'd probably be an OL, and even that seems far fetched.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I’m a little Leary going into the season counting on Hunter an Barr. Barr missed 5 games last year with and arthritic knee, we know Hunters history. Kind of like the roll of the dice.
Hoping for something more reliable.