"Off Topic" Gable Steveson Golden

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

"Off Topic" Gable Steveson Golden

Post by VikingsVictorious »

21 year old UofM Hvywt wrestler won Olympic gold with a 2 Takedown comeback in the final 10 seconds. If this is deleted I understand, but I thought some might like to discuss. :thumbsup:
JonPurpleHaze
Transition Player

Re: "Off Topic" Gable Steveson Golden

Post by JonPurpleHaze »

What an amazing gold medal match for Gable Dan Steveson!
I have zero interest in fake wrestling but try to watch real wrestling when it's on tv, I was a wrestler in high school and then joined a freestyle club. I first saw this phenom in the NCAA tournament in the spring and knew then that he's special. I've been watching the wrestling olympic coverage and the US team already has 7 medals and will have 8 or possibly 9, they are doing well.

Dan Gable's namesake, Gable Dan Steveson breezed into the gold medal match without giving up 1 point and then faced the defending 3 time world champ, started with a lead, lost it and then got 2 takedowns with the last 2 points needed for the gold in the last .03 second!
Very Impressive but check out this heavyweight's backflips, saw him do it in the NCAA's and he did it again!

https://youtu.be/gMr6onaFcNY

:clap:
JonPurpleHaze
Transition Player

Post by JonPurpleHaze »

Sorry double post, received a php error page but the original message posted ok.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JonPurpleHaze wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:55 pm What an amazing gold medal match for Gable Dan Steveson!
I have zero interest in fake wrestling but try to watch real wrestling when it's on tv, I was a wrestler in high school and then joined a freestyle club. I first saw this phenom in the NCAA tournament in the spring and knew then that he's special. I've been watching the wrestling olympic coverage and the US team already has 7 medals and will have 8 or possibly 9, they are doing well.

Dan Gable's namesake, Gable Dan Steveson breezed into the gold medal match without giving up 1 point and then faced the defending 3 time world champ, started with a lead, lost it and then got 2 takedowns with the last 2 points needed for the gold in the last .03 second!
Very Impressive but check out this heavyweight's backflips, saw him do it in the NCAA's and he did it again!

https://youtu.be/gMr6onaFcNY

:clap:
He did Minnesota proud. As for Dan Gable the best wrestling match I ever saw was the one he lost.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am 21 year old UofM Hvywt wrestler won Olympic gold with a 2 Takedown comeback in the final 10 seconds. If this is deleted I understand, but I thought some might like to discuss. :thumbsup:
It’s the off-season so I think it’s alright.

I don’t know anything about wrestling but two takedowns in 10 seconds seems like a near impossible task at this level. Was the other guy overly aggressive? I would assume with 10 seconds and that big a lead, you should just be defending and trying to run out the clock.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:38 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:03 am 21 year old UofM Hvywt wrestler won Olympic gold with a 2 Takedown comeback in the final 10 seconds. If this is deleted I understand, but I thought some might like to discuss. :thumbsup:

I don’t know anything about wrestling but two takedowns in 10 seconds seems like a near impossible task at this level. Was the other guy overly aggressive? I would assume with 10 seconds and that big a lead, you should just be defending and trying to run out the clock.
It wasn't a miracle, but fits my definition of a sports miracle.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Gable gave up two rolls on back-to-back points to get to that point, and the wrestler from Georgia got defensive and complacent in the last fifteen seconds. He was likely very gassed and didn't realize that Gable was going to turn aggressive and go for a wrap-around. He got his final two points with .03 seconds left and it was a remarkable comeback.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 pm

Gable gave up two rolls on back-to-back points to get to that point, and the wrestler from Georgia got defensive and complacent in the last fifteen seconds. He was likely very gassed and didn't realize that Gable was going to turn aggressive and go for a wrap-around. He got his final two points with .03 seconds left and it was a remarkable comeback.
Amazing.
I don't like when they say a team scored x amount of points in the final x amount of time starting with the time they scored. That way of saying it Gable got the 2 takedowns to score the 4 points in 6.5 seconds. In reality he did the work to score those from a stoppage at 13 seconds. It took him 6 seconds each time to get the takedown.
Sandpounder27
Rookie

Post by Sandpounder27 »

VikingsVictorius, you seem pretty knowledgeable about wrestling. I am a huge Fan of high school and collegiate wrestling, having competed at both levels back in the day. Steveson is very impressive, the quickness and agility for a man his size is amazing. He wants to go pro into the WWE, which I’m not a fan of but he should do amazing since he’s quite the showman. Overall the USA freestyle teams( men’s and women’s) had an incredible Olympics with 9 medals combined. There’s only 6 weight classes in each.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Sandpounder27 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:24 pm VikingsVictorius, you seem pretty knowledgeable about wrestling. I am a huge Fan of high school and collegiate wrestling, having competed at both levels back in the day. Steveson is very impressive, the quickness and agility for a man his size is amazing. He wants to go pro into the WWE, which I’m not a fan of but he should do amazing since he’s quite the showman. Overall the USA freestyle teams( men’s and women’s) had an incredible Olympics with 9 medals combined. There’s only 6 weight classes in each.
He's got all the chops to make it in Professional Wrestling. Amazing athleticism, personality, raw strength, and a look that Vince McMahon would die for. The problem is I don't see WWE using him correctly.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Sandpounder27 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:24 pm VikingsVictorius, you seem pretty knowledgeable about wrestling. I am a huge Fan of high school and collegiate wrestling, having competed at both levels back in the day. Steveson is very impressive, the quickness and agility for a man his size is amazing. He wants to go pro into the WWE, which I’m not a fan of but he should do amazing since he’s quite the showman. Overall the USA freestyle teams( men’s and women’s) had an incredible Olympics with 9 medals combined. There’s only 6 weight classes in each.
I've learned the rules pretty much, but I'm not really knowledgeable. I like the college style much more than the Olympic. Freestyle is OK, but Greco-Roman just no. I admire real wrestlers and laugh about pro wrestlers, but enjoy them sometimes. I really hope that Steveson doesn't go MMA. Why subject himself to that. WWE has a bit of injury risk, but not nearly that of MMA.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:54 pm
I've learned the rules pretty much, but I'm not really knowledgeable. I like the college style much more than the Olympic. Freestyle is OK, but Greco-Roman just no. I admire real wrestlers and laugh about pro wrestlers, but enjoy them sometimes. I really hope that Steveson doesn't go MMA. Why subject himself to that. WWE has a bit of injury risk, but not nearly that of MMA.

Wouldn't surprise me if he decided to go into mma, athletes love to compete and push themselves to see how far they can go. He can make considerably more bank doing other things that are safer however liked I mentioned wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take the MMA route. There a few mma fighters that come to mind that are finically well off but still decide to fight.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:54 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if he decided to go into mma, athletes love to compete and push themselves to see how far they can go. He can make considerably more bank doing other things that are safer however liked I mentioned wouldn't be surprised if he decided to take the MMA route. There a few mma fighters that come to mind that are finically well off but still decide to fight.
To me being an MMA fighter if there's any other viable way to make a living is a poor decision.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

A LOT of wrestlers get invites to NFL camps as well.
He would be an immediate fan favorite in the WWE. A lot of $$$, but a TON of travel and hotels.
Just depends on what the kid wants to do.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:18 pm
allday1991 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 pm

To me being an MMA fighter if there's any other viable way to make a living is a poor decision.
(
So true however people still do it. For example base jumping, people for fun in there free time jump off 100s of feet in a pass time that has a fairly high mortality rate. If you ask me there is a lot safer ways to spike your adrenaline however people still do it.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson