Vikings 2021 Rookie Out of the Blue - Offense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who is most likely be the Vikings surprise rookie contributor this season?

Zach Davidson
No votes
Evin Ksiezarczyk
No votes
Myron Mitchell
No votes
Kene Nwangwu
22%
Whop Philyor
No votes
Blake Proehl
11%
Ihmir Smith-Marsette
67%
Shane Zylstra
No votes
Other-specify
No votes

Total votes: 9

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings 2021 Rookie Out of the Blue - Offense

Post by fiestavike »

Who is most likely be the Vikings surprise rookie contributor this season?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings 2021 Rookie Out of the Blue - Offense

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Nice thread. I was torn between Marsette and Nwangwu but went with Marsette. I think both have solid upside. I dont think you can go wrong with either. I have an outside shot feeling about Proehl
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:04 pm Nice thread. I was torn between Marsette and Nwangwu but went with Marsette. I think both have solid upside. I dont think you can go wrong with either. I have an outside shot feeling about Proehl
There's definitely room for a WR to contribute on this team. RB is always a safe bet to make a quick transition to the NFL, especially one who can return kicks. I want to believe that Kubiak the younger will have the same success with late round RBs that Shannahan/Gary Kubiak had in their run with Denver.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I chose Nwangwu... 6'1" 210. Ran 4.25-4.31 strong. He could even be a guy that they throw out in the slot in motion on offense. Maybe a WR screen with him on 1 side. Run play action out of a split backfield with Cook 1 way and have this kid on the other.
I think this kid sees more time than anyone else.
Do something to what Jacksonville is playing around with for Etienne.
Could be a big play every game kind of kid !
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Proehl will be the slot guy.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 am I chose Nwangwu... 6'1" 210. Ran 4.25-4.31 strong. He could even be a guy that they throw out in the slot in motion on offense. Maybe a WR screen with him on 1 side. Run play action out of a split backfield with Cook 1 way and have this kid on the other.
I think this kid sees more time than anyone else.
Do something to what Jacksonville is playing around with for Etienne.
Could be a big play every game kind of kid !
You bring up some good thoughts. I didn't realize the kid had that type of speed and that's some nice size. With that he'll sit behind Butterfingers Beebe until he's cut which won't be until after year 3 so he can get a pension.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Reasonably it would be ISM, as he has returner potential and his athleticism is comparable to Marcus Sherels and Cordarelle Patterson. Instant upgrade on special teams.
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Well hope that the players can be there for years to come. If they are healthy and play right.
Ready for Halloween
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I went with Smith-Mars. HUGE opportunity for him out of the slot at the #3 position. Jarius Wright was the last competent #3 we’ve had and hopefully he can fill a similar role. Plus he’s got a cool name we should call him the “Martian”

Nwangwu sort of reminds me of Jet McKinnon. Similar surprising mid round pick who was seemingly picked primarily based on measurables rather than college production at the RB position.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am I went with Smith-Mars. HUGE opportunity for him out of the slot at the #3 position. Jarius Wright was the last competent #3 we’ve had and hopefully he can fill a similar role. Plus he’s got a cool name we should call him the “Martian”

Nwangwu sort of reminds me of Jet McKinnon. Similar surprising mid round pick who was seemingly picked primarily based on measurables rather than college production at the RB position.
Vikings are dumb for letting Jarius go
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:29 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 am I went with Smith-Mars. HUGE opportunity for him out of the slot at the #3 position. Jarius Wright was the last competent #3 we’ve had and hopefully he can fill a similar role. Plus he’s got a cool name we should call him the “Martian”

Vikings are dumb for letting Jarius go
I agree, I loved that guy. He always came up clutch on 3rd downs.

With defenses focusing on JJ, Cook, Thielen.... Smith-Mars has an opportunity to be productive out of the slot, if he's up to the task
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I don't see why people are choosing Smith-Marsette. His contribution is expected. Won't be surprising at all.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:08 pm I don't see why people are choosing Smith-Marsette. His contribution is expected. Won't be surprising at all.
Expected? He could suck in the NFL
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Not sure why everyone is expecting ISM to go the slot ?
JJ and AT are both incredible slot guys. ISM is a true outside WR with top end speed.
I would expect him outside more if he is in 3WR sets.

I am still expecting Nwangwu to get a few reps each game. Just do not know exactly when and where. That size/speed projects to elite WR size also. I envision an offensive weapon and about 5-10 plays a game. #3 RB and offensive gadget !!
What if he is a Kamara budding star type ?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:55 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:08 pm I don't see why people are choosing Smith-Marsette. His contribution is expected. Won't be surprising at all.
Expected? He could suck in the NFL
Sure he could suck, but most everybody I hear from Vikings fan or otherwise are expecting him to be our #3 WR almost from day one.