Could this be Rick Spielman''s last draft for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Could this be Rick Spielman''s last draft for the Vikings?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

I really believe it should. Spielman over the years with the Vikings has made some really nice picks, but he has also made some really bad picks as well. Speaking honestly, I am so tired of him trading out of the third, fourth or fifth rounds only to acquire more picks in the sixth or seventh rounds. Why would you do this? The better players are going to be in those third, fourth and fifth rounds and to trade out of those rounds just to pick up more picks in the seventh round for players that probably will not make the team anyway is just a real waste knowing how to draft. Anyone can trade out of rounds, but it seems with Spielman he is always trading down to lower rounds instead of trading to move up to get a quality player that could be in Minnesota for years to come. Most of the late round picks that he acquires say sixth or seventh round never make the team so why trade out of earlier rounds just to draft players that do not have a shot of making the team. I really get frustrated watching the draft because I know what he is going to do and other GM's across the league know this is as well. Hopefully this draft he breaks with his trend and uses some of these late round picks to move up.

For this year this years draft he has to come away with, maybe not in this order, but three positions are in NEED: cornerback, wide receiver and offensive line(particularly left tackle). In this draft, he HAS to draft at least two corners, maybe at least two wide receivers and if he doesn't trade for Trent Williams then he has to draft one of the top six offensive tackles. The Vikings have 5 picks in the top 105 as of today so he has the ammunition to go up and get whoever they want.

I will be watching as most Vikings fans will, but I just hope we come away with some real quality players.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Could this be Rick Spielman''s last draft for the Vikings?

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 am I really believe it should. Spielman over the years with the Vikings has made some really nice picks, but he has also made some really bad picks as well. Speaking honestly, I am so tired of him trading out of the third, fourth or fifth rounds only to acquire more picks in the sixth or seventh rounds. Why would you do this? The better players are going to be in those third, fourth and fifth rounds and to trade out of those rounds just to pick up more picks in the seventh round for players that probably will not make the team anyway is just a real waste knowing how to draft. Anyone can trade out of rounds, but it seems with Spielman he is always trading down to lower rounds instead of trading to move up to get a quality player that could be in Minnesota for years to come. Most of the late round picks that he acquires say sixth or seventh round never make the team so why trade out of earlier rounds just to draft players that do not have a shot of making the team. I really get frustrated watching the draft because I know what he is going to do and other GM's across the league know this is as well. Hopefully this draft he breaks with his trend and uses some of these late round picks to move up.

For this year this years draft he has to come away with, maybe not in this order, but three positions are in NEED: cornerback, wide receiver and offensive line(particularly left tackle). In this draft, he HAS to draft at least two corners, maybe at least two wide receivers and if he doesn't trade for Trent Williams then he has to draft one of the top six offensive tackles. The Vikings have 5 picks in the top 105 as of today so he has the ammunition to go up and get whoever they want.

I will be watching as most Vikings fans will, but I just hope we come away with some real quality players.
Nope, Wilf is keeping Speilman for life, same with Zimmer
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

By quick count i've got over 40 players on the vikings 2019 roster who were 4th round or later. Most of your team is not made up of first and second rounders and finding contributors in later rounds and rookie FA is extremely important.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Without question it could. He could die. He could choose to retire. He could be fired.
Will it be his last? My best guess is it won't be.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 am I really believe it should. Spielman over the years with the Vikings has made some really nice picks, but he has also made some really bad picks as well. Speaking honestly, I am so tired of him trading out of the third, fourth or fifth rounds only to acquire more picks in the sixth or seventh rounds. Why would you do this? The better players are going to be in those third, fourth and fifth rounds and to trade out of those rounds just to pick up more picks in the seventh round for players that probably will not make the team anyway is just a real waste knowing how to draft. Anyone can trade out of rounds, but it seems with Spielman he is always trading down to lower rounds instead of trading to move up to get a quality player that could be in Minnesota for years to come. Most of the late round picks that he acquires say sixth or seventh round never make the team so why trade out of earlier rounds just to draft players that do not have a shot of making the team. I really get frustrated watching the draft because I know what he is going to do and other GM's across the league know this is as well. Hopefully this draft he breaks with his trend and uses some of these late round picks to move up.

This trading back thing for Spielman is so exaggerated to the point of being ridiculous. Last year he did trade back 4 times in the third round. Got the player he wanted all along Mattison, still in the third round and several other picks of which some are still on the team and looking promising. I really have no problem with that.
vtjhenry
Waterboy

Post by vtjhenry »

I was watching the Herd the other day. He had Vikings as the 2nd best roster in NFL behind Ravens. If he is close to being right, Spielman has done a fairly good job then or it must be player development that we are good at.My general thinking is we have had some poor luck in the Bridgewater and Floyd injuries, and turnover with coaching staff.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Our talent that is spoken of comes from
QB - FA
RB - Cook 2nd and Mattison 3rd rd
TE - Rudolph 1st and Smith 2nd rd
WR - Not sure how talented after Thielen
OL - Reiff FA, LG 3rd, C 1st, 2nd FA, RT 2nd rd.

DE - Hunter 3rd rd, and ? Who is our other DE
DT - FA and ?
LB - 1st and 2nd rd
CB - 1st rd and a draft day drop due to character ?
S - 1st rder and Harris was undrafted.

So where are the late round talented guys that make the roster so talented?
Absolutely got it right with Thielen and Harris. Diggs also. I am just curious as to how those other 40 players contribute to our great roster?
We have so many, because we constantly are replacing poor draft selections that didn't pan out !
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 pm Our talent that is spoken of comes from
QB - FA
RB - Cook 2nd and Mattison 3rd rd
TE - Rudolph 1st and Smith 2nd rd
WR - Not sure how talented after Thielen
OL - Reiff FA, LG 3rd, C 1st, 2nd FA, RT 2nd rd.

DE - Hunter 3rd rd, and ? Who is our other DE
DT - FA and ?
LB - 1st and 2nd rd
CB - 1st rd and a draft day drop due to character ?
S - 1st rder and Harris was undrafted.

So where are the late round talented guys that make the roster so talented?
Absolutely got it right with Thielen and Harris. Diggs also. I am just curious as to how those other 40 players contribute to our great roster?
We have so many, because we constantly are replacing poor draft selections that didn't pan out !
With the salary cap, you can only afford to keep so many core players. You have to flip over the rest of your roster regularly, and find players who can contribute. Hit singles and doubles, and the occasional grand slam (ala Diggs). That's what the late rounds and rookie FA have to accomplish for a team to have sustained success.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Doubt it. He's pretty good and underrated by a lot of fans.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
vtjhenry
Waterboy

Post by vtjhenry »

How is it a journeyman QB comes in to replace a drafted hurt QB, a traded hurt QB and lead a team to one game from SB? The assessment is to harsh, as we had a CB drafted that was a shutdown CB for 2 years, and had injuries slow him down, and 2 youngsters that maybe as good or better than last years CB’s. Plus why wouldn’t Spielman get credit for a FA that turned out pretty good?
Since 2012, Vikings have a seventh best record in NFL. How is that with such poor player personnel? Doesn’t make sense to me.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

How many Super Bowls have we won again ?
Isn't that the reason for spending 100s of millions of dollars ? Or am I in a minority that want to win it all ? We all want a SB Championship. That's why Rick gave Cousins $84mil.
Our roster is starters drafted early, a couple FA, and then our depth is 5-7rd revolving door. I get it. Just think we have missed out by always trading down.