2018 Playoff Picture, NYT

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

2018 Playoff Picture, NYT

Post by Texas Vike »

This is the most comprehensive view of the playoff contingencies that I've seen:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage

It's enough to make your head spin!

SKOL Vikings! :v):
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2018 Playoff Picture, NYT

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:12 am This is the most comprehensive view of the playoff contingencies that I've seen:

Now that the Redskins lost to the Titans the number of contingencies reduces considerably. The major game that we need to break our way is for the Texans to beat the Eagles.

Tomorrow: If we beat Detroit and the Texans win, we're in the playoffs.

Of course, if we win our next two, we are in regardless.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:34 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:12 am This is the most comprehensive view of the playoff contingencies that I've seen:

Now that the Redskins lost to the Titans the number of contingencies reduces considerably. The major game that we need to break our way is for the Texans to beat the Eagles.

In a way , it increases. If Seattle loses both games and dallas does, they have a chance...I know it's slim till tomorrow, but....
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:34 pm

If the Texans win, the Vikings only need to win one of their last to games. I prefer they win both.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Now that we've beaten the Lions, it's appropriate to look at this ... we can still get the No. 5 seed.

Seattle is 8-6. We're 8-6-1. Seattle has to play the Chiefs today. It's highly conceivable that we could be in the 5 spot by the end of the day. Then it's up to us to beat the Bears at USB.

In my opinion, we want that. I, for one, don't want to play the Bears two weeks in a row, especially on the road in Chicago. We'd have a much better chance in the dome at Dallas.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:18 pm Now that we've beaten the Lions, it's appropriate to look at this ... we can still get the No. 5 seed.

Seattle is 8-6. We're 8-6-1. Seattle has to play the Chiefs today. It's highly conceivable that we could be in the 5 spot by the end of the day. Then it's up to us to beat the Bears at USB.

In my opinion, we want that. I, for one, don't want to play the Bears two weeks in a row, especially on the road in Chicago. We'd have a much better chance in the dome at Dallas.
I agree but I think Seattle will win tonight.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
UK Phil
Franchise Player

Post by UK Phil »

With our OL, the Bears is an absolutely horrible match up for us. Even at home, I'm not sure I like our chances.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:18 pm Now that we've beaten the Lions, it's appropriate to look at this ... we can still get the No. 5 seed.

Seattle needs to lose next week too. To the Cardinals. At home.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, I certainly wouldn't say Seattle beating Kansas City would qualify as the expected outcome, but I suppose it wouldn't surprise me, either. Especially in Seattle.

Consider this, though. If Seattle loses we move up to No. 5. If that happens and we win next week, we'd secure the No. 5 seed. At that point, Seattle and Philly would be tied at 8-7. If they both win or both lose, the Eagles would eliminate the Seahawks. The point being, everybody seems to be just handing the No. 5 seed to Seattle. But if they don't beat the AFC's top seed tonight, they could actually find themselves out of the playoff picture before they even kickoff against the Cardinals.

There are two spots open for three teams. Any of them could be eliminated next week.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

I djnt think thsts right. If they lose tonight they are 8-7. We are 8-6-1.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:54 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

I djnt think thsts right. If they lose tonight they are 8-7. We are 8-6-1.
You might be right, I asked in game chat and was told Seattle needs to lose twice.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

If we win next week it will only take one Seattle loss to get the #5 seed. If we lose next week (god forbid) we need either Seattle to lose twice, or the Eagles to lose to the Redskins just to make the playoffs. Hopefully we don’t need it, but it would nice to get some help from AP beyond the grave!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Purple Domination wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:01 pm If we win next week it will only take one Seattle loss to get the #5 seed. If we lose next week (god forbid) we need either Seattle to lose twice, or the Eagles to lose to the Redskins just to make the playoffs. Hopefully we don’t need it, but it would nice to get some help from AP beyond the grave!
Thanks for clarifying. Playing Dallas instead of Chicago would be huge. The path would be mostly domes and warm weather teams.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Agreed! I like the path of Cowboys, Rams much better than I do Chicago, Saints. Although in a dream scenario, it would be fun to get hot and send both Chicago and the Saints packing.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:05 pm
Purple Domination wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:01 pm If we win next week it will only take one Seattle loss to get the #5 seed. If we lose next week (god forbid) we need either Seattle to lose twice, or the Eagles to lose to the Redskins just to make the playoffs. Hopefully we don’t need it, but it would nice to get some help from AP beyond the grave!
Thanks for clarifying. Playing Dallas instead of Chicago would be huge. The path would be mostly domes and warm weather teams.
This would be ideal. I think the Bears are going to be really hard to play though, wherever the game is. Would love to see them out in the first round. I honestly would rather play any other team at their home.