Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by yezzir »

Good morning and Skol!

Can you believe the season has reached its halfway point? Crazy.

Let's keep it rollin!

:v): :v):

Why the Vikings can cover the spread

The Vikes are hot at 4-1 straight up and 5-0 ATS over their last five games after winning at Detroit last week 28-19 as one-point road underdogs. Minnesota allowed the Lions to drive for touchdowns on their first two possessions of the game, then outscored Detroit after that 25-5. The Vikings outgained the Lions 425-274, outrushed them 140-77 and won time of possession by a 36-24 margin, and that's how you win games and cover spreads in the NFL.

Over its recent run, Minnesota's only loss came on a field goal at the buzzer at undefeated Denver. The Vikings only rank 30th in the league in total offense but sixth in rushing at 128 yards per game, seventh in total defense and third in points allowed. At 4-2 overall, Minnesota also owns the No. 6 seed in the NFC at the moment.

Why the Bears can cover the spread

Chicago started this season 0-3 and looked terrible in that 26-0 loss at Seattle without quarterback Jay Cutler, but the Bears are 2-1 SU and 3-0 ATS since then following a 37-34 overtime defeat at Detroit two weeks ago. Chicago had last week off.

The Bears drove over half the field in less than 20 seconds to force overtime against the Lions before falling on a field goal two-and-a-half minutes away from a tie. Three weeks ago, they rallied to win at Kansas City, and just before that, they rallied to beat Oakland. And earlier this year, before Cutler missed a game-and-a-half with a hamstring injury, Chicago gave undefeated Green Bay all it could handle but ultimately came up short in a 31-23 loss.

Despite the 2-4 record, Chicago is a much better team right now than it was at the end of last season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583 ... s-nfl-pick
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings @ Bears Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by yezzir »

We haven't beat the Bears in Chicago since 2007. :oops:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

yezzir wrote:We haven't beat the Bears in Chicago since 2007. :oops:
That is all going to change today :smilevike:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Paul Allen ‏@PAOnTheMic 12m12 minutes ago

Linval purposely didn't eat this morning. He's hungry for, um, BEAR and there's a feast to be had! #Vikings

Check out that necklace. :lol:
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I am too busy looking at the BCGS/Rec-Spec with the nice business suit. You don't see that every day.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Vikings should win this game, but I doubt it's easy. If they can get to Cutler like they did Stafford then it's a wrap for the Bears.

For the Vikings, I would like to see positive run plays on 1st and 2nd down to set up short yardage on third down. Also, to see Teddy continue to grow from last weeks game. And as usual these days, I'm very excited to watch the defense fly around and make plays.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

We need to sack Cutler but their line is better than the Lions.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

This seems like a week we could knock Cutler out of the game by halftime. We've been punishing QB's, and if we start fast it could get ugly.

Then again, Cutler could go off for 300 yards and 4 TD's. He has that capability. It's like a coin toss with him.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I don't know if the Bears gave the Packers 'All they could handle', the Bears last touchdown came in garbage time.

I think you guys beat them handily today, maybe not complete floor mopping, but still pretty handily.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

yezzir wrote:This seems like a week we could knock Cutler out of the game by halftime. We've been punishing QB's, and if we start fast it could get ugly.

Then again, Cutler could go off for 300 yards and 4 TD's. He has that capability. It's like a coin toss with him.
Not really, Cutler almost never puts up big numbers like that, that is a complete misconception, he is actually quite consistently mediocre.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Purple bruise wrote: That is all going to change today :smilevike:
Yea, probably.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Jordysghost wrote: Not really, Cutler almost never puts up big numbers like that, that is a complete misconception, he is actually quite consistently mediocre.

Nov. 16, 2014 vs. Vikings -- 31-43, 330 yards, 3 TD's --Win 21-13

Dec. 28, 2014 vs Vikings -- 172 yards, 0 TD's. -- Loss 9-13
Last edited by yezzir on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

yezzir wrote:
Nov. 16, 2014 vs. Vikings -- 31-43, 330 yards, 3 TD's --Win

Dec. 28, 2014 vs Vikings -- 172 yards, 0 TD's. -- Loss
I said almost never, and that is still true. I do realize that he has had good games in his career.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

I said almost never, and that is still true. I do realize that he has had good games in his career.
And I said he has the capability. I also do realize he has some bad games.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

yezzir wrote: And I said he has the capability. I also do realize he has some bad games.
'Mostly' bad games, you mean.

And sorry, your coin toss comment made me think you were seriously saying the odds of Cutty having a bad or Good game are 50-50, thats really all I was disputing.