Successful HS coach who never punts has another radical idea

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Successful HS coach who never punts has another radical idea

Post by dead_poet »

This was interesting to read. Take a look:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spor ... ical-idea/
Kelley used an ESPN database to study college football history. He found that historically, there was no bigger indicator of victory than winning the turnover margin – teams that forced more turnovers than they committed won 80 percent of the time. But last season, Kelley said, a new trend emerged for the first time: Teams that recorded more plays of at least 20 yards won about 81 percent of the time.
It made sense to Kelley – bigger chunks of yardage meant scoring quicker and less opportunity to commit turnovers and drive-killing penalties. He became obsessed with finding a system designed for big plays. He found that on plays when two players touched the ball – a typical handoff or pass – teams gained 20 yards about 10 percent of the time. But when at least three players touched the ball – a trick play with a lateral involved – the percentage for gaining 20 yards rose to around 20 percent.

“That got me thinking,” Kelley said. “How could we develop a system for more than two people to touch the ball?”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Re: Successful HS coach who never punts has another radical

Post by S197 »

Last name checks out.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I want my kid to play for this guy!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

That was interesting. It will be even more interesting to see if that coach's new strategy pays off. Thanks for the link!