Does Wallace change the draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Now that Wallace is a Viking, do they still target a WR in the 1st round?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Ya
35%
Nein
65%

Total votes: 48

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Does Wallace change the draft?

Post by HornedMessiah »

The big need this offseason is WR. Let's assume that Spielman's plans are to go after one in the 1st round this year: does he still do it even after trading for Wallace?
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Does Wallace change the draft?

Post by saint33 »

no
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I disagree that WR was 'the' big need and would have been marginally disappointed with a 1st rd wideout other than Cooper.
But as for changing draft plans?
I don't think there really is that concise of a draft plan until after the FA period.
So, no it doesn't change the plan, it helps to narrow it down.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Depends. On who they think is good. Could the go WR in the draft? It would never surprise me. I think they might go CB in first and WR in second. Wallace can be cut at anytime for cap charge of $3 million, which is due tomorrow.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If we go first round pick ... that means Jennings or Patterson will be gone by camp IMO
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Zimmer's strength is defense. I think they were going defense all along. They have their eye on Trae Waynes from Michigan State if you ask me. Stick to what you know and draft accordingly.

It's Spielman here though. He's been finding ways to have multiple first round picks likes clockwork now.
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

I think it does in a way, wr was still a question mark, we still needed a true number 1 wr. We potentially have that now, so we are probably going defense and o line to start things off.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

If we decide to cut Jennings, is there any penalty for waiting until the draft is over? If not, then I think it would be reasonable to draft Cooper and cut Jennings, if we were fortunate enough to have Cooper fall to us.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If someone drops we had rated high enough.
Jennings is old and declining as well as being overpaid. Wallace is making a big chunk of change and who knows how that will work out. Rest of the guys are average. Patterson is a liability. I hope Spielman doesn't think he's done with the position...maybe for right now, but going forward a year or two from now? Better have something in place if they don't work out.
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

If Cooper falls he is a must draft IMO. If not there I believe it will go like this in 1st.
Waynes
Shelton
Defense BPA.

I'd looooove Funchess in the 2nd.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Wallace might change the draft in later rounds if the Vikings had a WR targeted in the mid-rounds, but I can't see any changes with that first pick because of this.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

The only way it does is if there no receiver worth the 11th pick lol. Let's be real here: Minnesota all draft Cooper if he falls to 11.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

I think now that we signed Mike Wallace our receiving corp is no longer one of our top needs. We still need a redzone receiver but I think that may come in the form of another TE for double TE sets. I love what Chase ford has done there so far but competition makes everyone better. I think Vikings could look to do something like the patriots had with Gronk/Hernandez. It would also add some insurance for Rudy who has been more injury prone than most would like.
ON TO VALHALLA
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Loki wrote:I think now that we signed Mike Wallace our receiving corp is no longer one of our top needs. We still need a redzone receiver but I think that may come in the form of another TE for double TE sets. I love what Chase ford has done there so far but competition makes everyone better. I think Vikings could look to do something like the patriots had with Gronk/Hernandez. It would also add some insurance for Rudy who has been more injury prone than most would like.
Ford did well in his abscence. And he clicks with teddy, TE is the least of our concerns
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

Before the signing, I was thinking WR only if Cooper falls to us. I still think the same.