Vikings v. Raiders Game Thread - August 8th

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Vikings v. Raiders Game Thread - August 8th

Post by frosted »

Anyone else going? Preseason but still Viking football!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings v. Raiders Game Thread - August 8th

Post by DK Sweets »

I live in Missouri and I'm seriously debating the Preseason package on NFL.com. It's only $20, but the Punzo route is fo free...
vikesfan71
Waterboy

Post by vikesfan71 »

Game is on tonight at 10pm mtn on nfl network.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

DKSweets wrote:I live in Missouri and I'm seriously debating the Preseason package on NFL.com. It's only $20, but the Punzo route is fo free...
As someone who has bought that package before I STRONGLY caution you before you buy it that you may not get to see the games live. Sometimes, the service blackouts out certain games - like Minnesota for instance. Maybe this has change in recent years (I bought it back in 2011), but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Anyway, it sounds like it is just gonna be me watching the game by myself tonight. Buddies want to go out on the town early, so I will have to catch up with them later after the game!

Skol Teddy. Skol Vikings.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

my local station in So. Dak. is broadcasting it live tonight @ 7pm. Man I am pumped :rock:

and even though it is the preseason :govikes:
Purple Pride till the end.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Some pre-game info for you:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ta-vikings
The Vikings will get their first look at quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in a game situation, and they should have plenty of time to see where the rookie is at. Coach Mike Zimmer said Bridgewater will get some first-team work, and it's possible the quarterback could play up to two quarters, especially if starter Matt Cassel comes out after a couple series.
Secondary in flux: The Vikings have a number of questions in their defensive backfield, and injuries haven't helped them get any answers. Safety Robert Blanton is unlikely to play because of a hamstring injury, while safety Jamarca Sanford's status is uncertain because of a back spasm. Cornerback Josh Robinson has dealt with a hamstring injury, as well, and 34-year-old safety Chris Crocker -- who might end up being the Vikings' starter next to Harrison Smith -- just came out of retirement this week. Second-year cornerback Xavier Rhodes is still adjusting to the Vikings' new defense, as well, so it wouldn't be surprising to see some rough moments from the secondary on Friday night. The game, however, provides an initial litmus test for a position group that had a major hand in the Vikings allowing more points than any team in the NFL last season.
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... he-raiders
HOW WILL THE ROOKS FARE OUT THERE? Bridgewater isn’t the only rookie the coaching staff is eager to see. Zimmer could potentially count on a number of his draft picks this year, starting with top pick Anthony Barr, whom Zimmer will use all over the field tonight. Third-round running back Jerick McKinnon gets to run against a defense that is actually trying to tackle him. Fifth-round guard David Yankey has an outside chance to claw his way into the starting mix before Week 1. And seventh-round cornerback Jabari Price will try to carry his strong start to camp into an actual game. The preseason is an opportunity for these rookies to show they’re ready to contribute right away.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

I am hoping to find a live video stream online. Might not be too lucky. The NFL is pretty good at shutting those down.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Its on Care 11 here in MN at 7.

And the whole 'preseason games argument' will shortly start again im betting. Last year they looked horrible in preseason and in regular season. Just a little improvement even in a preseason game IS important. A lot of the Fraizer fans of last year didn't seem to think so. Hoping Zimmer has what it takes for a HC. Even in preseason. The score is meaningless, but the rest isn't.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: As someone who has bought that package before I STRONGLY caution you before you buy it that you may not get to see the games live. Sometimes, the service blackouts out certain games - like Minnesota for instance. Maybe this has change in recent years (I bought it back in 2011), but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Anyway, it sounds like it is just gonna be me watching the game by myself tonight. Buddies want to go out on the town early, so I will have to catch up with them later after the game!

Skol Teddy. Skol Vikings.
I'm assuming you're local or that the games were being broadcast locally for you. I've already purchased the package (word to the wise: promo code "directv" saves $5) and I'm hoping it works out well for me.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Last year they looked horrible in preseason and in regular season.
Oh, man!!! I'd forgotten all about last preseason. All the assurances here that the totally dysfunctional team we were watching in the preseason meant absolutely nothing about how they'd look in the regular season. Queue endless stats and anecdotal evidence of past Vikings teams, Super Bowl winners, yada yada yada.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

game is on the NFL channel here in NW Florida at 11:00 Looking forward to seeing bridgewater and the new defense
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

A new season of yelling at our TVs starts now. :govikes:
me4get
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by me4get »

Funkytown wrote:A new season of yelling at our TVs starts now. :govikes:
you ain't kidding
Viking fan since '65