Don't bet your last dollar that Cassel is the anointed one

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Don't bet your last dollar that Cassel is the anointed one

Post by Purple bruise »

Hey it is early and was just a practice but.....

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - "Xavier Rhodes jumped a short route and grabbed an interception off Matt Cassel during the Minnesota Vikings' OTA practice on Wednesday".
"Christian Ponder, who didn't throw as much as Bridgewater or Cassel, finished his two-minute drill with a touchdown to Kain Colter. Colter made the leaping grab over rookie Jabari Price and outran defenders down the sideline".

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/OTA_ ... ggle061114
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Don't bet your last dollar that Cassel is the anointed o

Post by Funkytown »

:lol:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

:lol: :yawn:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I know it's not the point of the thread but I'm encouraged by how often I've been seeing Kain Colter's name come up (in a positive sense) in OTA reports. I thought he was a very exciting, dynamic player at Northwestern and I won't be surprised if he not only makes the Vikings roster but also makes some noise for them over the next few years.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Colter also got the biggest bonus of all the UDFAs. I think he's got a decent shot at that 5th WR spot and at worst a spot on the PS (if he clears waivers).

He's also a former QB so he could be used in some Antwaan Randle El type trick plays too.
I've been thinking the same thing. :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I've been noticing Colter's name a lot as well. He seems to be making catches no matter which QB throws to him.

Another name that's coming up a lot is Xavier Rhodes. The Vikings badly need better work from their D secondary and it seems as if there's a chance they'll get it.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Mothman wrote: I've been thinking the same thing. :)
not gonna happen guys. letting a wide receiver play qb, if even for one play, would be a huge disservice to bridgewater and his development, and set the team back big time. we're better than that...

:wink:
i'm ready for a beer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I've been noticing Colter's name a lot as well. He seems to be making catches no matter which QB throws to him.

Another name that's coming up a lot is Xavier Rhodes. The Vikings badly need better work from their D secondary and it seems as if there's a chance they'll get it.
It would be nice to have a secondary that wasn't so vulnerable. It will help if Smith stays healthy.
vikeinmontana wrote:gonna happen guys. letting a wide receiver play qb, if even for one play, would be a huge disservice to bridgewater and his development, and set the team back big time. we're better than that...

:wink:
LOL!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:I know it's not the point of the thread but I'm encouraged by how often I've been seeing Kain Colter's name come up (in a positive sense) in OTA reports. I thought he was a very exciting, dynamic player at Northwestern and I won't be surprised if he not only makes the Vikings roster but also makes some noise for them over the next few years.
Thielen also seems to be doing rather well so far. Looking forward to the competition. Wright has also looked good in the highlights too.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I think Cassel has had the most snaps so I would assume he'd make a few errors. Christian Ponder from what I hear has had very few snaps, atleast with the 1st and 2nd team that it would probably be a little difficult to assess how his progress is going.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Last I heard when the snap count was close Ponder was like 8 for
17 very few yards and a pick and Cassel was 14 or 15 out of twenty with
a touchdown and a pick
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

jackal wrote:Last I heard when the snap count was close Ponder was like 8 for
17 very few yards and a pick and Cassel was 14 or 15 out of twenty with
a touchdown and a pick
He did get a lot of snaps when Bridgewater was at the rookie showcase but after that I haven't heard about him too much.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

He did get a lot of snaps when Bridge Water was at the rookie showcase but after that I haven't heard about him too much.

I can't believe the Vikings are doing anything with Ponder other than trying to get some small value for him on a trade(which is not
going to happen IMO)

In fact the more I hear about training OTA's and listen to Zimmer and other comments about Vikings practices I am starting to think
Bridge water might start game one this year.

I will be honest i did'nt want Teddy Bridgewater after watching his pro day. God he made T Joke look like an All pro that day.
Maybe he just had a really bad day, that type of thing would be the way the Vikings luck seems to go sometimes.. both bad and good.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I know, but his gametape really gave me a great impression that his bad pro day couldn't overshadow. It could be the gloves because I see ever since the pro day he has never thrown a pass without wearing gloves. But like I said, the pro day is just one day to me. I try not to buy to much into it. You have guys like Jarmarcus Russell who had great pro days but didn't show that same effort and skill in NFL games. One thing I can say about Teddy Bridgewater is that it looks like he is honestly improving. Something I never said about Ponder or T-Jack when they were starters. When Bridgewater says he has to get better, you can actually see it.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Colter also got the biggest bonus of all the UDFAs. I think he's got a decent shot at that 5th WR spot and at worst a spot on the PS (if he clears waivers).

He's also a former QB so he could be used in some Antwaan Randle El type trick plays too.
That's exactly what his skill set reminded me of. Hoping that he makes our roster as the 5th WR as well, and not have to go through waivers. I'd think a team like Seattle or San Fran would jump all over that opportunity if given the chance.

Interestingly enough, when I watched Jerome Simpson's interview the other other day he looked pretty nervous. I don't really know what to make of it other than maybe he thinks he might lose his spot on the roster, but maybe I'm just reading into it too much. We have a lot of depth at WR, so it kind of makes sense that he'd be worried about that. Our receiving corps is certainly changing quickly, and for the better as far as I can see.