WR Cordarrelle Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by dead_poet »

OVERVIEW

The road to Tennessee was not very glamorous for Cordarrelle Patterson (pronounced "CORE-dare-uhl"). After a solid 2008 high school season that put him on college teams' radars, Patterson did not play football in 2009 while at North Carolina Tech. In 2010, Patterson enrolled at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, where he broke numerous school records and became the top ranked JUCO product in the nation. After choosing Tennessee, Patterson was expected to line up as the school's third receiver, but after fellow junior Da'Rick Rogers was dismissed from the team, the South Carolina native burst onto the scene immediately by beating NC State cornerback David Amerson multiple times during the 2012 season opener. From there, Patterson continued to make play after play, becoming the first NCAA player in four years to score a touchdown four different ways.

During his only season at the FBS level, Patterson accumulated a wide variety of statistics while starting all 12 games. As a receiver, the junior caught 46 passes for 778 yards and five touchdowns. As the season went along, The Vols started to use Patterson more and more from the running back position, and he tallied 208 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. The junior returned four punts for 101 yards and a touchdown. However, Patterson did most of his damage as a kick returner, compiling 671 yards and another touchdown on 24 attempts. He set an SEC single-season record with a combined kickoff and punt return average of 27.6 yards, and a school record of 1,858 all-purpose yards.

STRENGTHS

Easily separates on vertical routes when given a free release. Very few wasted steps on cuts. Very smooth in his breaks. Finds soft areas in zone coverage between corners and safeties. Looks to turn upfield immediately after the catch. Very good with slants, quick head fake out allows for inside release, strong step forward, body catches to prevent pass breakup while shielding corner. Flashes swiping inside arm bar away on back shoulder throws to allow for free turn. Frequently hauls in the difficult catches, especially when the defensive back is draped on him. Not afraid to hand fight all the way along the sideline on vertical routes to create a sliver of separation. Understands hot read recognition when the corner blitzes. Builds speed quickly after the catch, almost gliding when in stride. Good vision with the ball in his hands, cuts upfield when he sees a lane. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game.

WEAKNESSES

Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

BOTTOM LINE

He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/T ... 28dea66d20
Last edited by dead_poet on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by dead_poet »

When you break down the compensation,
The Vikings stack their draft board horizontally to clearly lay out their options at each position, and the prospect of adding Patterson -- a rare and raw physical talent with some Harvin-like traits -- was too alluring to leave to chance with the second round roughly 20 hours away.

"We felt besides (Tavon) Austin, he was the most explosive playmaker with the ball in his hand," Spielman said after returning to the podium.

So, the Vikings gave up their third-round pick (No. 83 overall), one of their fourths (No. 102) and a seventh (No. 229) to flip their second-round pick (No. 52) for New England's first (No. 29) and make a third addition from a category of players they believe can be difference-makers.
it doesn't look as bad. But they did take a big cut at this one. Will they hit a home run or strike out? It will be interesting to see.

While I expect to see immediate return on...well...returns, I do not expect a breakout year for him, nor do I think this is the best selection when attempting to fully evaluate (or immediately help) Christian Ponder. Why I think he fits is that, like Harvin, he's special with the ball in his hands. He's not the explosive down-the-field guy, but we don't run a Bruce Arians-style vertical offense. He makes sense as a potential blue-chip player in a WCO. The Vikings may have to manufacture touches, and it'll be interesting if they keep similar "Percy Plays" in. The downside is there's likely no way he'll be able to run the entire X-receiver route tree. Things will have to be simplified. Glad we have route-running tactician Greg Jennings in town to hopefully help refine a very raw player.

His upside is significant.

Here's what NFL Films guru Greg Cosell had to say about Patterson:
He’s a multi-dimensional weapon that can align anywhere in the formation, including the backfield, which he did at Tennessee. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands: shifty, elusive and explosive. He has open field movement ability that you cannot teach. And remember, he’s 6-foot-2 and 216 pounds. But don’t lose sight of the fact that Patterson has much work to do as receiver. At this point, he is not as quick and explosive as a route runner as he is with the ball in his hands. He’s more measured and methodical. He has little sense of the pace and tempo of route running, and how to set up and beat corners. But he has the athletic traits you look for; in addition, he showed good hands, and a willingness to make tough catches in the middle of the field.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I agree with your assessment Poet. My hope is that having Jennings here to help mentor the other guys along will help bring out the more technical aspects of the position sooner rather than later. Bottom line though is that we should expect too much out of CP this year, it will take time for his overall game to develop as it does with most WR. Again, having Jennings in the locker room should help that process.

All in all though, Ponder should now have 5 guys guys around him who can do stuff with the football and make some plays. Hopefully we'll see him begin to gain some trust which will lead to more back shoulder stuff and an expanded passing offense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote: it doesn't look as bad.
I fail to see how this explanation of what the Vikings gave up "doesn't look as bad". Forget #229. They gave up #83 and #102 to move up 23 spots and grab a guy that nobody else was very confident in. He'd have gone early in the 2nd round, for sure, but that's a lot to pay for a giant question mark.
But they did take a big cut at this one. Will they hit a home run or strike out? It will be interesting to see.
Yes, it will be very interesting. I doubt that there's going to be a middle ground. It'll either be a walk-off home run or a strike out with men on base.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

One thing just occurred to me... He's almost exactly the same size and speed as Adrian Peterson.

Put him in the backfield.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

dead_poet wrote:
Here's what NFL Films guru Greg Cosell had to say about Patterson:
Cosell was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and was asked what he thought about the Patterson pick. Cosell said he thought that Hunter was the better reciever and should have been taken. Made some comparisons size wise to AJ Green for Hunter.

I think Patterson is one of those picks that could be fantastic or terrible. No middle ground.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

They are comparing him to Harvin, but Harvin is 5-11 and 184#. Patterson is 6-2. 216. That would seem to indicate he is going to take punishment better. This pick is very intriguing. Hopefully he can develop the same electricity that Harvin has.

This is also what scared me about Austin, at 175# you just have to think durability will be an isuse if you overload his touches. The Patterson pick is intriguing, but it will take time to see how he plays out. I agree on him being a boom/bust type deal.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I agree with your assessment Poet. My hope is that having Jennings here to help mentor the other guys along will help bring out the more technical aspects of the position sooner rather than later. Bottom line though is that we should expect too much out of CP this year, it will take time for his overall game to develop as it does with most WR. Again, having Jennings in the locker room should help that process.

All in all though, Ponder should now have 5 guys guys around him who can do stuff with the football and make some plays. Hopefully we'll see him begin to gain some trust which will lead to more back shoulder stuff and an expanded passing offense.
I think one of the keys there will be for receivers to be where they're supposed to be, on time. I recently read that was more of an issue with Harvin that some might have thought and it was clearly an issue at times with Simpson. It could be a concern with Patterson as well. They really need to coach up the receiving corps! :) If Ponder finds he can trust players to be where they're supposed to be, then hopefully he'll reciprocate by trusting them to make plays (like catches on back shoulder throws).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:One thing just occurred to me... He's almost exactly the same size and speed as Adrian Peterson.

You may see him there. Last season he had 25 carries for 308 yards (12.3 average) and 3 TDs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Found it interesting Spielman and Frazier were both quite open about needing to have "a specific plan" for Patterson, acknowledged he's raw. Scouts say the same thing about Harvin. Neither is a detailed route-runner, but both explosive. Management aspect will have similarities. Bottom line: they had Tier 2 grades on 3 guys they got in the 20s. Maybe they bust but you trust your board.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sutsgold
Starter

Post by Sutsgold »

I was hoping for Hunter. He has speed and was going to stretch the field for us, but I understand what the vikes are doing with Patterson. They are giving ponder, who may not have the deep arm to take advantage of hunters speed, an opportunity to make his short throw and have Patterson run after the catch. That is one of the qualities that made harvin such a valuable player for us. I would not be surprised to find out that the vikes also rated hunter higher but felt patterson fit better. I think its a win win for us either way.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Eli wrote:One thing just occurred to me... He's almost exactly the same size and speed as Adrian Peterson.

Definitely. The Vikings are a running team, imagine using him in a reverse play and AD going in the other direction. LBs and Safties will have to pick and choose which one to go after.

Harvin has shown that a hybrid player can be successful in today's NFL. Patterson may never become a classic WR, but he may not need to with his skill set.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Sutsgold wrote:I was hoping for Hunter. He has speed and was going to stretch the field for us, but I understand what the vikes are doing with Patterson. They are giving ponder, who may not have the deep arm to take advantage of hunters speed, an opportunity to make his short throw and have Patterson run after the catch. That is one of the qualities that made harvin such a valuable player for us. I would not be surprised to find out that the vikes also rated hunter higher but felt patterson fit better. I think its a win win for us either way.
Good post. I, too, suspect that this was their thinking. Musgave's offense is oriented towards short passes to WRs that can create YAC. Patterson is a good fit.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

GBFavreFan wrote:I The majority of his highlights seemed to entail getting a short pass, or being handed the ball and then running around the field for 20 minutes for a big gain.
LOL! It's so true, the dude is always looking for the end zone, some times it's great, some times he leaves about 6 easy yards on the field trying to get 30. It works for Adrian so who knows...