4 picks for an unproven receiver?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

4 picks for an unproven receiver?

Post by mosscarter »

i wanted a receiver as much as all of you, but we nearly gave up half of our draft to pick a guy who isn't proven whatsoever. when the falcons traded 3 picks for julio jones, i'm pretty certain everyone knew they gave up a lot, but at the same time he was a bona-fide playmaker. can someone please tell me patterson was worth 4 picks, or at least give me a mild optimistic view?
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: 4 picks for an unproven receiver?

Post by PacificNorseWest »

He will lead the league in return average this next year at the very least.

Put it this way...his playmaking ability will be a huge game changer more than a few times throughout the season. Probably when the Vikings really need it.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

PacificNorseWest wrote:He will lead the league in return average this next year at the very least.

Put it this way...his playmaking ability will be a huge game changer more than a few times throughout the season. Probably when the Vikings really need it.
:thumbsup:
teo and ogeltree are also unproven. Patterson has a huge upside. more than Austin imo.
JonPurpleHaze
Transition Player

Post by JonPurpleHaze »

This Patterson dude wears #84 so he gets a 2 yr. pass with me (despite the duplicate picks traded), his highlight video is encouraging, he will be an upgrade with returns right now!

http://youtu.be/RjxkQXlCAfE

hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

the falcons moved up to get julio jones. how did that work out? every pick is a risk.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

mosscarter wrote:i wanted a receiver as much as all of you, but we nearly gave up half of our draft to pick a guy who isn't proven whatsoever. when the falcons traded 3 picks for julio jones, i'm pretty certain everyone knew they gave up a lot, but at the same time he was a bona-fide playmaker. can someone please tell me patterson was worth 4 picks, or at least give me a mild optimistic view?
No one is ever a sure thing in the draft. Jones could have flopped. It wasn't probable and he obviously hasn't, but he could have. There was a degree of risk.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i agree, but jones was more of a certainty wouldn't you agree? this was interesting http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -patterson
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

GBFavre: Your concerns are highly understood, several so called "analysts" called him a project. Well, I'll ask this, and its open to anyone, who trades 4 PICKS FOR A PROJECT????
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

mosscarter wrote:i agree, but jones was more of a certainty wouldn't you agree? this was interesting http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -patterson
I'll agree. Considerably less risk with Julio. That video was insane. The quickness and speed are impressive.
mosscarter wrote:GBFavre: Your concerns are highly understood, several so called "analysts" called him a project. Well, I'll ask this, and its open to anyone, who trades 4 PICKS FOR A PROJECT????
You trade four picks for a project when said project has an insanely high ceiling.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

mosscarter wrote:GBFavre: Your concerns are highly understood, several so called "analysts" called him a project. Well, I'll ask this, and its open to anyone, who trades 4 PICKS FOR A PROJECT????
A project who brings Percy Harvin YAC/KR potential at worst? I'll take that bro.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
VolsNVikes28
Backup

Post by VolsNVikes28 »

CP is about to ball out. He destroyed SEC defenses with a QB that had an IQ of about 50. The only thing he needs to improve is his hands. Everything we lost with Percy are his strengths. The Vikings basically have their first 3 rounds covered in the first, I fail to see the problem.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Talk about a wasted pick....spending a 3rd round pick for that washed up, has been, quitter, head case, POS Moss, now that was a waste of a pick :steamed:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Does this look to anyone like an "unproven receiver" :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

VolsNVikes28 wrote:CP is about to ball out. He destroyed SEC defenses with a QB that had an IQ of about 50. The only thing he needs to improve is his hands. Everything we lost with Percy are his strengths. The Vikings basically have their first 3 rounds covered in the first, I fail to see the problem.
I'd add route-running to the list of concerns, but I agree with your premise. We are literally inserting him into the 'void' left by Percy's departure. He's the most dynamic, explosive player I've seen at Tennessee, and I've been following since the National Championship in '98.

Not a Bray fan I see. Haha.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

I was very concerned we spent 4 picks on this guy (or let me say any #29 pick), but everything is a gamble in the draft, and from the looks of that sport science video he has all the athleticism. He does seem to run well with the ball. I am not sure of his route running though, which is pretty important in our system.

Hopefully, he turns out to be a great KR and WR.
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.