Webb moved to wideout

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingHoard
Backup

Webb moved to wideout

Post by VikingHoard »

I'm not too hopeful about this, as I think if he showed any talent at WR they wouldn't have kept him a QB for so long, but hopefully he proves me wrong.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ta-vikings
This signature predicted the great 2014 - 2025 Vikings dynasty!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Webb moved to wideout

Post by Eli »

That's good news. It means that the Vikings would rather have either MBT or a rookie to groom in the third QB spot. I wish Joe Webb the best of luck. The Vikings certainly need all the help they can get at WR.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NFL.com writer Kareem Copeland appears to be jumping to a conclusion because at this point, all Frazier has said is that a position change for Webb is something they'll discuss.
With the signing of veteran backup Matt Cassel, Frazier was asked if there’s a chance that Joe Webb could be moved to a new position.

“[Webb] is such a talented athlete that we want to make sure that we’re doing the right thing by him and our team, as well,” Frazier said. “That’s something we’ll continue to discuss as we go forward.”
That was in Sid Hartman's column today (there's a link to it in Copeland's article).
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Hmm. Jumping to conclusions is right. With that being said, it's worth a shot. Webb is about at the end here in Minnesota. He's obviously not a quarterback. He's an athlete. No doubt about that. It would be a waste to keep him at QB anyway behind the other two guys. We might as well try to see what else he can or cannot do with his athletic ability. It can't hurt!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

He's about to suck at WR too. People think just because he was fast scrambling out of the pocket that he will be a good WR. No one has ever seen him run routes or his ability to catch the ball. But like my good friend Melanie said, it can't hurt. So we will see but I also think his days as a Vikings are coming to an end. I do wish him the best of luck and hope he can find his position in the NFL. Seems like a great guy but I don't know if he fits with this team anymore.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

ya this is a reporter jumping to conclusions for a headline in the lull of the off season. It certainly does not say anywhere that he will be moved to WR.

And if he makes the final roster, I would be mildly surprised. I've said this before, but the Webb experiment is over. Can't throw, can't catch, he's a man without a position. He's an athlete, not a football player. Just cut the ties with him now, and stop wasting a roster spot on him.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

JEC334 wrote:He's about to suck at WR too.
Maybe. Probably. But for the Vikings that's not the least bit important.

The important thing for the team is that they move forward at the QB position. Ponder's future is still somewhat unknown. They have a veteran backup who's a much better #2 option than they've had in recent years, but he's not the future of the franchise. They really need, right now, to groom a third QB who just might, however slim the odds, move into the #2 slot, or possibly even be a future starter. Everyone _knows_ that they're just wasting time with Joe Webb.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33 wrote:ya this is a reporter jumping to conclusions for a headline in the lull of the off season. It certainly does not say anywhere that he will be moved to WR.

And if he makes the final roster, I would be mildly surprised. I've said this before, but the Webb experiment is over. Can't throw, can't catch, he's a man without a position. He's an athlete, not a football player. Just cut the ties with him now, and stop wasting a roster spot on him.
They can take 90 players to training camp so if they feel he has a realistic chance to make it as a WR, they can probably afford the roster spot, at least until the first cut-down.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

They are making it a point to flash it on the bottom of the screen of NFL Network that Webb is switching to wideout. They better hope it's true. Ahh, just another thing for the Vikings to have to deny. lol.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

its coming out on other sources too

About time they should have done this four years ago..

:rock: :thumbsup:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

JEC334 wrote:He's about to suck at WR too. People think just because he was fast scrambling out of the pocket that he will be a good WR. No one has ever seen him run routes or his ability to catch the ball. But like my good friend Melanie said, it can't hurt. So we will see but I also think his days as a Vikings are coming to an end. I do wish him the best of luck and hope he can find his position in the NFL. Seems like a great guy but I don't know if he fits with this team anymore.
WTF ,"No one has ever seen him run routes or his ability to catch the ball." Really :confused: I know that you must be smarter than to post that. No one has seen him in practice running routes or catching the ball :?: Webb is a very good athelete blessed with speed, size and moves. I am not saying that he will ever make an NFL caliber wide receiver but to say that NO one has EVER seen him catch the ball or run routes is nuts.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Purple bruise wrote: WTF ,"No one has ever seen him run routes or his ability to catch the ball." Really :confused: I know that you must be smarter than to post that. No one has seen him in practice running routes or catching the ball :?: Webb is a very good athelete blessed with speed, size and moves. I am not saying that he will ever make an NFL caliber wide receiver but to say that NO one has EVER seen him catch the ball or run routes is nuts.
Well this is clearly inaccurate, I remember seeing Webb line up out wide several times in 2011. And according to nfl.com stats he even registered a reception in 2011 for 9 yards. So people have seen him run routes and attempt to catch the ball. And if memory serves me right, he also had a drop (or 2?) and a few bad passes thrown his way. He was never a primary target but he has lined up out wide in game situations. Hopefully with a full off season to work on only WR drills and what not he will be able to at least contribute as a #4 receiver and maybe return kicks (1 KR for 30 yards in 2010) or punts.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

JEC334 wrote:He's about to suck at WR too. People think just because he was fast scrambling out of the pocket that he will be a good WR. No one has ever seen him run routes or his ability to catch the ball. But like my good friend Melanie said, it can't hurt. So we will see but I also think his days as a Vikings are coming to an end. I do wish him the best of luck and hope he can find his position in the NFL. Seems like a great guy but I don't know if he fits with this team anymore.

To James' (JEC334) defense, he sometimes talks out of his...butt.

I think y'all are looking too deeply into one little statement.

Let me translate:

"I like Webb, but he's not a quarterback--and I don't believe he's going to be a contributing WR either. I wish it were untrue, but it's just not. He seems like a likeable guy, but I just don't see how he fits on the team anymore. I know what he can and--more importantly--what he can't do as a quarterback, but I'm even less convinced as to what he can do as a WR. It's not a skill many of us are used to seeing him display, and he's probably out of sync because of trying to play QB for the past few years. I don't see it working out, but I hope he proves me wrong!" :)
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

he could be the deep threat and big target ponder needs. he is a very good athlete. he didn't have the nfl IQ to be a qb. :thumbsup:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

hibbingviking wrote:he could be the deep threat and big target ponder needs. he is a very good athlete. he didn't have the nfl IQ to be a qb. :thumbsup:
How about a red zone threat? He can just out-jump everyone in the end zone for easy touchdowns! He and Ponder just need to get the timing right. It could work. :thumbsup: