Vikings vs Packers (again) for Jennings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings vs Packers (again) for Jennings

Post by headless_norseman »

Good thing the life of this thread should only have a few hours, but the Vikings might actually be targeting Jennings.

Are two NFC North teams bidding for free agent receiver Greg Jennings? That's the word from several reporters, including Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.

According to Marvez, Jennings is considering a return to the Green Bay Packers if he doesn't sign first with the Minnesota Vikings. The unofficial deadline for the Vikings, notes Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, could be midnight Wednesday.

The Vikings, with somewhere around $20 million in salary cap space, are in position to pay Jennings whatever they need to. They re-signed veteran Jerome Simpson earlier Tuesday but obviously have a huge need at the position following their trade of Percy Harvin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... g-jennings
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs Packers (again) for Jennings

Post by HornedMessiah »

This reeks. He doesn't want to sign with the Vikings or any other team, he's just looking for leverage in contract talks with GB.

Spielman is smart enough to see what's going on, and it's reassuring that he isn't rushing to overpay these WR FAs. He doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

And here we go.
And it's on: Packers free-agent WR Greg Jennings is visiting today with...the Minnesota Vikings.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:And here we go.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
OOOOOHHHHH, the suspense is facinating!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

I wonder if Brett is in contact with Jennings...
From the Fjords of ValHalla
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

TeamChaplain wrote:I wonder if Brett is in contact with Jennings...
And Ryan Longwell, Jared Allen, and Steve Hutchinson (or whoever it was that went to MS).
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
clones2
Rookie

Post by clones2 »

HornedMessiah wrote:This reeks. He doesn't want to sign with the Vikings or any other team, he's just looking for leverage in contract talks with GB.

Spielman is smart enough to see what's going on, and it's reassuring that he isn't rushing to overpay these WR FAs. He doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement.
Yep.... He'll get the best number possible from the Vikes and see how close GB will come to match it. Strictly a leverage play.

The guy will be 30 years old this season, the biggest injury risk at WR for free agents this year, hasnt played a full season the past 2, and only a 10yard per reception avg last year. Any explosiveness he ever had is pretty much gone.

Give up the 1st rounder and get Cruz for 8 or 9 mil a year.... Hell of a lot better than Jennings for around 7....
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

If they sign Jennings, I wouldn't be surprised if our WR Corps looks like this heading into the draft:

Jennings, Simpson, Wright, Childs, Burton and who is Chris Summers???
From the Fjords of ValHalla
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TeamChaplain wrote:who is Chris Summers???
Summers was with the Chicago Bears during the offseason, but he was signed to the Vikings practice squad on Sept. 3 and has been there ever since.

“He’s done a real good job. He’s really improved from the time we’ve gotten him,” Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. “Our coaches have talked about him in a positive way all throughout. (Receivers coach) George Stewart has raved about him (and offensive coordinator) Bill Musgrave. He’s done a good job.”

Although he’s not a fast receiver, Summers offers size on the outside. The former Liberty receiver is 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds.

“It really doesn’t matter where you put the ball. I’m just going to try to attack the ball and try to actually play basketball on the football field,” Summers said. “One of my strengths is just trying to high-point the ball and box out defenders and try to attack the ball anytime I can.”

Frazier singled out Summers' size when asked about him.

“His size is probably his biggest asset,” Frazier said. “I don’t want to talk too much about him because he is on our practice squad and guys are taking guys off our practice squad. Don't want to build him up too much.
http://min.scout.com/2/1247422.html
Summers, 23, is a big body (6-foot-5, 213 pounds) and had 188 catches for 2,712 yards (14.4 average) and 26 touchdowns in four seasons at Liberty. He broke current Vikings receiver Jerome Simpson's Big South Conference record with 1,081 receiving yards in 2010 and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds at his campus workout.

A Jacksonville, Fla., native, Summers went undrafted in April, then signed with the Bears shortly thereafter. He had three receptions, including gains of 28 and 24 yards, in Chicago's first two preseason games before he was cut.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Viki ... mers083012
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Well, if Spielman can help drive up the price and get the Packers to overpay for Jennings........I'm cool with that!

:v):
vikesfan52
Practice Squad

Post by vikesfan52 »

Does anyone know what time he is arriving?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

vikesfan52 wrote:Does anyone know what time he is arriving?
Are you going to give him some flowers? :P
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

GBFavreFan wrote:I have a friend who works in the vicinity of Vikings HQ that claims he saw him driving to work this morning. But you figure they wouldnt' bring him back just to lower their offer or offer less than GB right?
What do you mean by "bring him back?" This was his first known visit with the Vikings.
Assuming the $10m offer from GB is accurate, my prediction for today is that Spielman offers him a 3-year deal with an average of $11-$12m per year.
Hard to say if that $10 million is still on the table. Last I heard that number may have dropped to $7/8 million. And that $10 million figure may not have even been true.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

GBFavreFan wrote:I also had another thought that Rick Spielman might not want to get Jennings get away based on how he failed to close the deal with Pierre Garcon last year.
It's all about $$. It's not like he failed to get him. He just didn't want to pony up a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus that the 'Skins offered. He doesn't come across as a guy that'd be that dumb just to sign someone because he "missed out" on a guy he may have wanted. Too rational for that crap.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: It's all about $$. It's not like he failed to get him. He just didn't want to pony up a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus that the 'Skins offered. He doesn't come across as a guy that'd be that dumb just to sign someone because he "missed out" on a guy he may have wanted. Too rational for that crap.
Id dont know. Theres comes a time when you may have to pay that 'crap' to give your QB a target. Not all draft picks are going to be great esp. WRs. Heck they didnt even know enough to play Wright until PH was hurt. Either way, I dont see Jennins or Cruz playing for the Vikings. Esp. not with Ponder as our QB. I hope im wrong.