NFC North projected draft picks

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurplePPLEater
Rookie

NFC North projected draft picks

Post by PurplePPLEater »

Haven't seen this posted anywhere on here yet, apologies if it has:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -mocks-2-0

Kiper has us taking North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams.
McShay has us taking Connecticut cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

EDIT: forgot to note that this article is 10 days old. not sure if much has changed since though.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: NFC North projected draft picks

Post by saint33 »

they're both morons
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mrc44 wrote: Mayock is so good that he is paid by FO's all over the league for his mocks so they can get an idea of where players will most likely go. That's how you know you're legit, lol getting paid for Mock drafts by the guys that are actually drafting the players.
Really? Do you have a link? Not saying I don't believe you but I want to read that because that's kind of cool. I was always under the impression league offices placed little stock/value on "expert" mocks.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mrc44 wrote:All I know is I have never paid much mind to those two window lickers on ESPN. McShay looks like a little kid that is about to crap himself, and Kiper is cracked out like a kid trapped in a candy store. And neither one of them have any actual experience being a NFL scout do they?
LOL window lickers.

I like Kiper, he takes his work very seriously. He is good at analyzing the players, just not always good at placing them.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Love the window lickers comment!

Here's what I think the difference is between McShay/Kiper and a guy like Mayock. McShay and Kiper rely on the comments of others to evaluate players. Mayock evaluates them himself. I'm constantly amazed at how RIGHT Mayock is on a continual basis.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mayock's about as good as it gets, he does his due diligence and while he does make mistakes, so do actual scouts. His work ethic, understanding of the scouting process and just overall intelligence sets him miles ahead of anyone else in the media.

I remember watching one of the shows leading up to the draft last year with Mayock and Brian Billick. And completely out of nowhere, Billick tangents off right before the end of the show and looks directly into the camera and says something along the lines of "and any teams watching this, hire this man beside me. He is as good of a scout as any I've ever worked with". And it seemed unplanned, Billick seemed very sincere about it and Mayock was kind of caught off guard and was pretty speechless.

Guys like Kiper and McShay are made for TV scouts. Neither one really knows what their talking about, neither one has a background in football. It's not that they don't provide some good information, they certainly can. But I would put as much credit in their mock drafts and rankings as I would a lot of the internet "experts". You read it, you get a general sense of it to help you build a more complete picture, but you don't take it as gospel.

However, Kiper in particular kind of bothers me, only because a lot of people do hang on his every word. It's Kiper more than anyone else that creates this sense of steals and reaches to such extreme extents. Life Harrison Smith for example, I remember a large majority of Viking fans were angry we traded up to reach for a guy they felt like would fall to them about 10 picks later. It's this ideal draft board that doesn't exist, but yet everyone seems to work off of. Now, don't get me wrong, there are certainly players that are rightfully considered "reaches" and "steals", but those are extreme cases.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: The best was last year when Jacksonville selecting Anger in the 3rd round and Mayock was trying to legitimately analyze the pick but couldn't because Eisen kept yelling about Punting for the whole allotted time. :lol:
Punters are people too!!
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I just saw a mock on DarftTek and they had us taking Chance Warmack the guard from Bama who is suppose to be a monster and a better prospect than what Hutchinson was coming out of college, If he falls to us do you think that we take him ?
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mercy Percy wrote:I just saw a mock on DarftTek and they had us taking Chance Warmack the guard from Bama who is suppose to be a monster and a better prospect than what Hutchinson was coming out of college, If he falls to us do you think that we take him ?
Yes, I think the Vikings would jump on him, but it's not going to happen. A lot of folks are calling Warmack the best offensive lineman in the draft, while acknowledging the fact that guards seldom go in the top 10. Mayock has called him the best player in the draft and suggests that the Chiefs should consider taking him #1:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index ... orthy.html
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Regarding Mayock, remember that there are two distinct skills we are mixing up. One skill is evaluating which players will be good in the league - that's the skill everyone wants. The other skill is to evaluate where players will go in the draft - which players teams are interested in and will draft. That can be done with good reporting and absolutely no football evaluation skills.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Eli wrote: Yes, I think the Vikings would jump on him, but it's not going to happen. A lot of folks are calling Warmack the best offensive lineman in the draft, while acknowledging the fact that guards seldom go in the top 10. Mayock has called him the best player in the draft and suggests that the Chiefs should consider taking him #1:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index ... orthy.html
That wouod be a heckuva choice though. What an OL we would have.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018