Frazier's option picked up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Frazier's option picked up

Post by dead_poet »

@APkrawczynski: APNewsBreak: Sources say Leslie Frazier has agreed to a multi-year extension with the Minnesota #Vikings.
RT by Tom Pelissero on Twitter
It was apparent after the season #Vikings and Leslie Frazier both intended to extend his stay. Had one year left on deal. Well-deserved.
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Frazier extended

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: RT by Tom Pelissero on Twitter
SI com reports Frazier extension http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... a-vikings/#
Great news :D
Last edited by Purple bruise on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Awesome. He got this team headed in the right direction and I think he will continue to do just that.
ADMVP & CCHOF
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I really hope this doesn't bite us in the ####. Are we still paying off Coach Chilly's deal still?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Good. At least he hasn't come across like a complete incompetent buffoon like Childress did from day 1.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Umm, they just picked up his option.. they didn't exten him..
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Congratulations to Coach Frazier. I think he's a big jump above Childress and potentially a great NFL head coach.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Excellent news!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think this was the best move (picking up the option rather than an extension) and should help in free agency.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

As you probably know, the Vikings have exercised a previously-undisclosed option year on Frazier's contract, meaning he is now signed through the 2014 season. To this point, according to Frazier's agent via the Star Tribune, there have been no negotiations on a true extension.

That's a mildly surprising development, mostly because no one knew the option year was a possibility. We all agreed that Frazier shouldn't enter 2013 in the final year of his contract, but before Wednesday it seemed the Vikings' only alternative was to offer him an extension.

The option was the most efficient way to avoid lame-duck status, but it is at best a measured vote of confidence. Vikings owner/president Mark Wilf said in a statement that the team looks forward to working with Frazier "for many years to come," but that sentiment isn't reflected in contract terms.

To be clear, the Vikings have opted against rewarding Frazier for a 10-6 season. Instead, they committed to rendering judgment next year at this time. (Barring the existence of another hidden option, of course.) To avoid a lame-duck situation in 2014, they will need either to extend Frazier's contract or fire him after the 2013 season.

That makes 2013 another "prove-it" year for Frazier. Given the Vikings' 6-16 record in his first 22 games as coach, it's not a totally unreasonable approach. It might not be not a slap at Frazier, but it also isn't a hearty clap on the back for a job well done. If the Vikings were convinced that Frazier will be their coach "for many years to come," they would have signed him a commensurate deal now before his price rose after another presumably successful season in 2013.

It's a reminder that the NFL is a business, that leverage is usually applied when available and that nice guys don't necessarily get a break.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ie-frazier
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Great decision by the front office. I feel that Frazier should give the Vikes some stability at that HC spot for many years, which is always an indicator of success.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Why was the option exercised now and not a year from now? Some stipulation in the contract that said it must be exercised by a certain date, do you think?
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Eli wrote:Why was the option exercised now and not a year from now? Some stipulation in the contract that said it must be exercised by a certain date, do you think?
coaches very rarely play out their final year of their contracts. They are either extended or released before their "lameduck" year. This option is just a way of delaying that decision to extend or fire him because Frazier is no longer entering the final year of his contract.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Frazier's option picked up

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

At least the Wilfs learned not to reward a coach a contract because of a player's performance this time. :lol:

Anyway, I like Frazier more than I like Childress but I still am skeptical if he is the best guy for the long haul. This season will be very telling coming off a playoff berth.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.