Where do you stand on the Percy Harvin situation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What should the Vikings do about Percy?

Dump him. He's not worth the trouble, trade him for anything so we can focus on his replacement quickly.
7%
Unvoidable situation. Trade him for a 2nd rounder and hope for the best.
7%
Irreconcilable differences. 1st rounder only. Percy is an elite and special player.
18%
Replace him. Trade him for Alex Smith or some other starter-type from another team. (name the player)
5%
Do nothing. Don't trade him, don't give him extension and hope he plays anyway.
2%
Keep him. Give him the big money long-term deal he wants, let's move on and hope he behaves.
61%

Total votes: 56

Viva la Vikings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Where do you stand on the Percy Harvin situation

Post by Viva la Vikings »

Keep him and sign Bowe. Bowe, Harvin, and Rudolf? Yes please.
Meet at the Quarterback. -Purple People Eaters
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

Well I say trade him. It's either the coach,QB, or offense we run. With NE running a heavy TE set and Welker getting alot of touches I suppose it's the fact that AD gets his touches. So it's down to something he doesn't like and to be real I don't think it's money. The Vikes have proven to redo contracts in the final year and pay big. So it's down to coach and QB to me. Neither of those will change, so I assume good bye PH.
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

Keep him. He's 24, an elite receiver that compliments their offense perfectly. A special team stud. He's worth more in terms of production than a 2nd rounder. They won't be able to replace his production in free agency, & although I liked what I saw out of Jarius Wright in terms of potential, I doubt he gives us 75% of what Percy can do.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

All they can do is assess the situation and try to make the best choice under the circumstances. It's not a fun answer but I think that's how the Vikes have to approach it. Without more info about what's really going on, I don't know what I'd do but if it's possible to reconcile whatever differences there may be between Harvin and the team and sign him to a new deal that works for both parties, I'd love to see that happen.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

He is worth big money. He is one of the best overall players in the league and is a necessity to our team.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

I am on the fence , he is an incredible talent that cannot be denied, but his mercurial personality seems to always rear its ugly head . If PH agrees to sign a good contract for him and the team and wants to play in Minnesota by all means keep him and pay the man , but if he has his mind and heart set on leaving for greener pastures then get the best picks and or players you can for him and move on .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Dark wrote:He is worth big money. He is one of the best overall players in the league and is a necessity to our team.
We did just fine without him.

He's a headache and a diva. Who knows how he's going to behave once he gets the money. Totally entitled. And injury prone.

Not worth the headache, not even close. Dump him!
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

JMO I think we should keep him, as long as he likes A.P. getting 35 avg. carries per game, and performing his role in the wild cat, and returning punts and kick offs if we need to play catch up.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Well now after listening to the KFAN interview with AD, we certainly know where AD stands on the Harvin issue.
"Touching on the other leading Vikings news briefly, Peterson commented on the rumors that the Vikings might be shopping wide receiver Percy Harvin by saying, "I wouldn't trade him for nothing!"
"I think he's a good teammate," Peterson said in regards to Harvin. "To do the things that he's able to do, I don't thin there will be a player to do it better than him ever."
Asked about the potential for Harvin and the Vikings to overcome whatever issues may remain between the two parties, Peterson added, "I always feel like that Percy can overcome whatever it is they might be struggling with."
I think that I will go along with AD's take on Harvin, after all he is his teamate and really has much more insight into the matter than most anyone else (except Harvin). AD has only glowing comments about what Harvin brings to the football field and my take on this is that AD will not be happy if Harvin does not remain on the team. I think that AD's opinion on Harvin will speak volumes for Viking management and also to Harvin himself about staying on the team :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Percy reportedly wants 10m per year. That would slot in in as the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL behin only Fitzgerald, C.Johnson and V.Jackson. Given his unique and nontraditional skill set is he worth making a Top 4 paid WR? That's a tough question and one the Vikes need to decide the answer too.

I'll tell you use this I definitely wouldn't give him more guaranteed money than like the 16m Sidney Rice got.
He may not be in the top 5 WR's, but he is definitely in the top 5 overall players in the league. I think he is worth the money. We are in a rebuilding mode, and if we drop a player like that, it sure as hell aint gonna help us.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GBFavreFan wrote:I think people assume "cancer" because he's causing some version of a disturbance and he's a WR, so unfortunately the behavior of past WR's is wiping onto Percy. I personally believe that all of his issues to the team and Ponder were all directly connected to his current six-figure salary and that's it. If people point to his complaining about how he's being used he doesn't want the Vikings phasing him out while he doesn't have a new contract, since his numbers would go down and it'd be harder to justify a max deal.

As for people pointing to people complaining about his views on Ponder, Percy not only carried Ponder and the team to a 5-3 start, but he was getting himself killed out there in the process. Remember how Ponder would throw the ball to Percy 5 yards behind the LOS with 3 defenders crashing into him, then Percy would shrug off those tackles and rip 25 yards out of that, then limp off the field, only for Ponder to do the same exact thing the very next play? I believe Percy's point is, don't make me kill myself to make their scrubby QB look good while I'm making minimum wage.
I think his point is simply: "Pay me, pay me pay me" and it has little if anything, to do with Ponder.

The plays you're talking about were designed as much to emphasize Harvin's strengths as anything else. There were few that were as nasty as you make it sound above ("5 yards behind the LOS with 3 defenders crashing into him). Harvin's simply better with the ball in his hands than he is running routes down the field. His strength is his open field running ability and his talent for making people miss. Getting the ball to him on bubble screens, quick outs, slants, etc. was pretty obviously an effort to manufacture touches and let him do his thing. He certainly didn't complain about it and it was very effective.
As for his ankle injury that might not be 100% legitimate, it falls down to the 'why kill myself and end my career to make others look good while I get paid virtual minimum wage POV.
I doubt it because I seriously doubt the reports of a complete ligament tear were just fiction. Why would the Vikings cooperate with Harvin if what you suggest above is true and his injury wasn't 100% legitimate?
Remember how Percy probably should've sat out a game or two earlier this year, but he played injured anyway. As for the migraines, migraines are usually stress related and you can see how stressful this situation must be for Percy.
Yeah, the poor guy is playing pro football and isn't making as many millions per year as he'd like. It must be very stressful. Did he even have a migraine this year? I don't recall any reports of one.

I know you're exaggerating with this "minimum wage" talk but I still find it hard to sympathize with Harvin or consider it stressful for him to be making what he's making. His base salary this year would be about $2.5 million if he didn't get a new deal. If he simply plays out his rookie contract he stands to come away with about $14.25 million for his time playing in the NFL through 2013. I realize he's hoping to make much, much more and he's talented enough to get it but he signed the contract he's playing under and he's not exactly playing for the league minimum.
So either pay the guy what he actually deserves, and lets make our SB run behind Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin in their primes, or hand the SB trophy to the Patriots whom Brady and Belichek are salivating to show the world what Percy Harvin can really do!
What does he actually deserve? Is that what he's asking to be paid? We don't even know how much Harvin wants and we don't know if the Viking have offered him a fair deal (or anything at all for that matter).
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Keep him
Trade Ponder
We have the Best and Second Best play makers in the league and no one to throw them the ball...........
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Sure seems odd that Harvin led the entire league in receptions when he got hurt. And I could not care less that the offense was predicated on quick passes and bubble screens. I think that it was a QB named Ponder throwing him those 61 passes in just 8 games (he was hurt in the 9th), that same QB that concluded his season with four straight, crucial wins to put the Vikes into the play-offs ending with a good (120 QB rating with 3 TDs and no Intrs.). You will be feasting on crow after next season :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pay the man! Percy is the most dynamic and versatile player in the NFL. You can't just replace someone like him. A fiery attitude is tolerable when that player produces like Harvin does.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote: That is probably one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. If that is the case, there is no way in hell ayone would give him a contract. What part of what you just said sounds anything like what a professional athlete that is looking for a new contract would do?
Good point... and why would a team reward a player who behaved that way with a huge contract?