Ponder: The Answer?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Ponder: The Answer?

Post by Orion »

With the season over, I remember earlier in the season all the posts and opinions on how Ponder isn't the answer, but with the last 4 games, I think the jury's up on whether he will be our QB for a long time. He's definitely earned himself another starting year and he ended the year on a strong and impressive note, including a big, clutch performance in essentially a playoff game in week 17. He does have streaks of brilliance, but is still inconsistent and next season will be likely his final 'audition' on whether he's here to stay or look somewhere else.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Ponder: The Answer?

Post by PurpleHalo »

One thing that must be considered, he has had trouble with that elbow going back to Florida St. So we may not have seen the last of this issue. It may have cost a playoff run.
This space available for rent.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Orion wrote:With the season over, I remember earlier in the season all the posts and opinions on how Ponder isn't the answer, but with the last 4 games, I think the jury's up on whether he will be our QB for a long time. He's definitely earned himself another starting year and he ended the year on a strong and impressive note, including a big, clutch performance in essentially a playoff game in week 17. He does have streaks of brilliance, but is still inconsistent and next season will be likely his final 'audition' on whether he's here to stay or look somewhere else.
I pretty much hated Ponder as our quarterback all year long. Even the Houston game, which many said was a good performance, was awful, at least statistically (I admit I didn't watch that game). All the hope and faith I have in Ponder is based solely on one game. The last one, obviously. 3 TDs, 0 picks, and threw the ball down the field with some degree of effectiveness.

It came at the perfect time, the very definition of a clutch performance. He is capable of succeeding. However, was that a flash in the pan or a sign of things to come? It was only one game, so the former is the more likely possibility. But he absolutely earned another year. If he starts to look like he did this year, then it'll be time for that ship to sail. It'll be his third year; at that point there'll be no reason for some of the rookie-esque mistakes he made in this, his second year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Orion wrote:With the season over, I remember earlier in the season all the posts and opinions on how Ponder isn't the answer, but with the last 4 games, I think the jury's up on whether he will be our QB for a long time. He's definitely earned himself another starting year and he ended the year on a strong and impressive note, including a big, clutch performance in essentially a playoff game in week 17. He does have streaks of brilliance, but is still inconsistent and next season will be likely his final 'audition' on whether he's here to stay or look somewhere else.
That more or less sums it up. Next season will probably be a make-or-break season for him so hopefully, they'll surround him with better weapons in the passing game, improve their pass protection, open things up more and he'll deliver. We learned this season that he still he has work to do on his mechanics and decision-making but that when he focuses on those things and gets them right, he can be very good. He doesn't have the kind of "wow" factor arm strength or speed that some of the top QBs in the league possess but he can be very effective. He's shown he can keep his cool in clutch situations and I think he's developing as a leader so there's reason for optimism. There are good reasons to be pessimistic about him too so as we enter a long offseason that's sure to contain plenty of Ponder discussion, I hope people keep in mind that he's still an unfinished product at QB. We may have seen Ponder's ceiling already or he may not even be near it.

At this point, I think the biggest keys to his development are getting him better weapons and settling down his mechanics. The Vikes need to put together a really good WR corps. If it turns out Ponder isn't the right guy to make a group of receivers like that shine, at least the next QB in line will be able to step in and throw to some great weapons. :)
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The comment on mechanics is a good one, Jim. He needs to keep working on those.

Here's another thing that gets me. The talking heads always talk about him as "best when he's on the run." I disagree. On the few occasions where Ponder has stepped up in the pocket and delivered the throw, he's looked really good. That's especially true in the last Green Bay game. He just doesn't tend to hang in the pocket enough. When he rolls out, it seems like he either makes a good play or a disastrous one. Several of his INTs this year were on rollouts where he just plain made a bad decision. A few more options at receiver would certainly help him with pocket passing.

The bottom line is pretty simple. Based on his performance down the stretch, Christian Ponder goes into next year as the unquestioned starter. But if we're having this conversation next January, well, it won't really be much of a conversation. He'll be finished.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

What is the question?

"Have we found our franchise QB?" Highly doubtful.

"Have we found a serviceable QB?" Maybe.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'm not sure Ponder is the answer. I'm not sure Ponder isn't the answer, either. He managed to play well down the stretch, mostly by avoiding the killer mistakes that plagued him through the middle part of the season. With that said, he didn't make a lot of big plays, either (although he made a few very nice ones).

While I think Ponder will be the starter going into next season, I really hope Spielman does all he can to find a guy who can realistically compete for the starting job. I don't think Webb is that guy, and while MBT might be, his lack of experience would probably rule him out as legit competition. Spielman doesn't want a QB controversy, but he must provide Frazier with a legit option and one capable of winning the job outright.

I truly hope the Vikes address the shortcomings at guard and WR in this year's draft and/or free agency, but regardless of the moves they make there, they have to at least have a legit veteran option behind Ponder.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The comment on mechanics is a good one, Jim. He needs to keep working on those.

Here's another thing that gets me. The talking heads always talk about him as "best when he's on the run." I disagree. On the few occasions where Ponder has stepped up in the pocket and delivered the throw, he's looked really good. That's especially true in the last Green Bay game. He just doesn't tend to hang in the pocket enough. When he rolls out, it seems like he either makes a good play or a disastrous one. Several of his INTs this year were on rollouts where he just plain made a bad decision. A few more options at receiver would certainly help him with pocket passing.
Well said. I definitely agree that he's not at his best on the run. His mobility can be an asset but he's at his best when he sets his feet and is decisive. When he can stand in the pocket and unload those quick timing throws or follow through properly on a deeper pass, he looks very good. When he's improvising or doesn't have his footwork set, he's far more inconsistent. He does make some nice throws on rollouts but he's at his best in the pocket.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:I'm not sure Ponder is the answer. I'm not sure Ponder isn't the answer, either. He managed to play well down the stretch, mostly by avoiding the killer mistakes that plagued him through the middle part of the season. With that said, he didn't make a lot of big plays, either (although he made a few very nice ones).

While I think Ponder will be the starter going into next season, I really hope Spielman does all he can to find a guy who can realistically compete for the starting job. I don't think Webb is that guy, and while MBT might be, his lack of experience would probably rule him out as legit competition. Spielman doesn't want a QB controversy, but he must provide Frazier with a legit option and one capable of winning the job outright.

I truly hope the Vikes address the shortcomings at guard and WR in this year's draft and/or free agency, but regardless of the moves they make there, they have to at least have a legit veteran option behind Ponder.
... or even a legit rookie option, if they don't like their choice of veterans.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Pondering Ponder, are we? lol
Don't forget that the kid didn't have an offseason last year. In the games that Ponder struggled it looked to me like he was pressing, missing his safety blanket, Harvin. The month of December was great for him. I am not putting too much emphasis on his stats, there were many QB's that threw for meager yards and still won their games. The team did win a few of those games that he underperformed in. It looked over the last month that the game slowed a little for him. So, I think he earned another year as starter.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

I think its to early to say much. A lot of QB's struggle their first couple years but improve hugely. This is only his first full year as a starter, so I want to wait at least until the end of next year to make any final decisions.
ADMVP & CCHOF
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote:I'm not sure Ponder is the answer. I'm not sure Ponder isn't the answer, either.
This is a pretty good way to put it.

Even two weeks ago, I wasn't sold. And the truth is, I'm still not completely sold. But what I saw in the fourth quarter of the Week 17 game gave me some hope. He commented during the week that it was time for him to step up and play big, and by God, he did in the fourth quarter. Maybe he's got a scintilla of that "it" gene.

But the problem is obvious ... it was one quarter.
VikingLord wrote:While I think Ponder will be the starter going into next season, I really hope Spielman does all he can to find a guy who can realistically compete for the starting job. I don't think Webb is that guy, and while MBT might be, his lack of experience would probably rule him out as legit competition. Spielman doesn't want a QB controversy, but he must provide Frazier with a legit option and one capable of winning the job outright.
For us fans, that's probably the best scenario. But I have to believe that Spielman and Frazier have seen enough down the stretch to make Ponder the unquestioned starter heading into next season.

However, backup is a different story.

Even if we concede that Joe Webb was thrust into an impossible position in the playoffs, and even if we concede that he has some level of value as a non-traditional NFL quarterback (such as a situational read-option guy), it's pretty obvious that he's not a traditional No. 2. In other words, you can't put him out there and expect him to run the full playbook or be effective for a full game or for six weeks while the starter heals. He's proven that he can come in for an injured starter during a game and have some effectiveness, but struggles mightily as a starter. He simply isn't what you need in a true No. 2. Not with his limited skillset in the passing game.

So I think it's completely reasonable for Vikings fans to hope the team addresses the issue of who's No. 2.
VikingLord wrote:I truly hope the Vikes address the shortcomings at guard and WR in this year's draft and/or free agency, but regardless of the moves they make there, they have to at least have a legit veteran option behind Ponder.
I think all of these things can be done. There are plenty of options out there for a No. 2 quarterback, and none of them are particularly expensive. But we MUST upgrade the WR position for sure, and I think DB and LB are positions of need more than guard. Our offensive line improved in sacks-per-dropback from 25th in the NFL last year to 16th this year, and they paved the way for a 2,000-yard rusher. Not saying we can't get better on the OL, or that improving our guard play wouldn't be welcome. I just think it ranks behind WR, DB and LB.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:But the problem is obvious ... it was one quarter.

I think he played good the whole game, actually.. plus he did pretty well the last four weeks, IMO. Not Tom Brady, but he did more than enough, considering he has AD as his RB.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I think he played good the whole game, actually.. plus he did pretty well the last four weeks, IMO. Not Tom Brady, but he did more than enough, considering he has AD as his RB.
He did play well the whole game, but most of his great play came in the fourth. I mean, he threw for 239 -- 90 of those yards came on two plays in the fourth quarter.

I'm talking more about that "it" factor, the knack for special play it takes to lead a team down the stretch. He was pretty darned clutch against the Pack. If he doesn't make that throw to Jenkins, for example, AD never gets to make his magical run at the end. The game goes to overtime, and we probably lose because Rodgers was on fire.

It just makes me wonder if there's more in him ... or if that was a fluky thing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: He did play well the whole game, but most of his great play came in the fourth. I mean, he threw for 239 -- 90 of those yards came on two plays in the fourth quarter.

I'm talking more about that "it" factor, the knack for special play it takes to lead a team down the stretch. He was pretty darned clutch against the Pack. If he doesn't make that throw to Jenkins, for example, AD never gets to make his magical run at the end. The game goes to overtime, and we probably lose because Rodgers was on fire.

It just makes me wonder if there's more in him ... or if that was a fluky thing.
Well, keep in mind that it's not the first time he's played like that with a game on the line. He bookended the season with clutch 4th quarter performances.

Jim