College FB for dummies: 2013 crop of WRs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

College FB for dummies: 2013 crop of WRs

Post by Texas Vike »

I am fully aware that this should probably be posted in the college FB/Draft forum, but that looks to be very inactive except for around the draft in April, so I'll post it here:

Is there anyone that is very up on College Football here that could give us a good rundown on what WRs are worth watching in the college ranks, as they might be targets for the Vikes in 2013?

(Sorry, mods, if I have sinned)
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: College FB for dummies: 2013 crop of WRs

Post by The Breeze »

:ban: J/K

I heard a report just before the season started on this years WRs. Don't remember the names but there was 4-5 excellent prospects. The 2 guys at USC and one of the kids at either Washington or Washington State. There was another kid from somewhere down south.

I know that is vague and all....but point is, there is supposed to be some decent depth in the top tier this offseason.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

While you're at it... the 2013 crop of middle linebackers, guards, defensive tackles, safeties and cornerbacks. The Vikings will have more than a few critical slots to fill.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Eli wrote:While you're at it... the 2013 crop of middle linebackers, guards, defensive tackles, safeties and cornerbacks. The Vikings will have more than a few critical slots to fill.
I know, right? I nearly included LBs in my initial question, but I'm a pretty disinterested college FB fan, so watching less obvious positions is just not that likely for me. Noticing exceptional catches and rare receiving skills should be easy enough, even for a college FB dummy like me.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Now obviously a lot can and will change between now and the bowl games and then between the Bowls and Combine/Pro Days but here's the top 10 WRs as of right now.

Robert Woods, USC*
Keenan Allen, CAL*
Marquess Wilson, Wash St.*
Justin Hunter, TENN*
Terrance Williams, Baylor
DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson*
Ryan Swope, Tex A&M
Cobi Hamilton, ARK
Kenny Stills, Oklahoma*
Emory Blake, Auburn

*JR. or RS SO*
Thanks for this. I'll keep my eyes open, especially for the Big 12 players (which is on my radar) and the USC kids that play tonight vs. Stanford.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I know the Vikes could really use an impact WR, and should the draft fall that way for them I'd have no problem with them going that route, but if they pass on this guy Spielman shoud have his head examined:

Star Lotulelei - http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... ulelei.php

Star is going to be a star in the NFL. He's the kind of massive, yet lightning-quick, DT that comes along maybe once every 10 years. He's the Andrew Luck of DTs, and with an aging Kevin Williams, the Vikings will have a need at DT. While there are excellent WR prospects in the upcoming draft, none of them have the potential of Lotulelei IMHO.

I suspect by the time the draft rolls around Star is going to be gone by no later than the 3rd pick, but if the Vikes get a shot at this guy they have to take him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:I know the Vikes could really use an impact WR, and should the draft fall that way for them I'd have no problem with them going that route, but if they pass on this guy Spielman shoud have his head examined:

Star Lotulelei - http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... ulelei.php

Star is going to be a star in the NFL. He's the kind of massive, yet lightning-quick, DT that comes along maybe once every 10 years. He's the Andrew Luck of DTs, and with an aging Kevin Williams, the Vikings will have a need at DT. While there are excellent WR prospects in the upcoming draft, none of them have the potential of Lotulelei IMHO.

I suspect by the time the draft rolls around Star is going to be gone by no later than the 3rd pick, but if the Vikes get a shot at this guy they have to take him.
It's a bit early for this sort of talk but if he lives up to expectations in his senior season, he might be just what the Vikes need inside. Then again, if he's good enough to go in the top 5, I hope the Vikes won't be in position to draft him (without a trade anyway). I'd like to see them have the kind of 2012 season that would leave them picking lower than the top 5.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

:thumbsup: Looking forward to the game against BYU today. BYU's line is decent, let's see if Star can do what he did in the rivalry game last year. On espn2 tonight at 10est I believe.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

I'm a Tennessee fan, and along with Justin Hunter, you guys need to watch for the name Cordarrelle Patterson. He's our other stud receiver, and right now he is, to me, a poor man's Percy Harvin, but with a chance to develop into Percy Harvin 2.0. He is a junior JUCO transfer with unreal speed and quickness, and the dude cuts on an absolute dime. I'm not sure he's a fit seeing as Harvin plays for us now, but who knows? A speedy receiving duo like that could do some damage with the right offensive system.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

admvp wrote:I'm a Tennessee fan, and along with Justin Hunter, you guys need to watch for the name Cordarrelle Patterson. He's our other stud receiver, and right now he is, to me, a poor man's Percy Harvin, but with a chance to develop into Percy Harvin 2.0. He is a junior JUCO transfer with unreal speed and quickness, and the dude cuts on an absolute dime. I'm not sure he's a fit seeing as Harvin plays for us now, but who knows? A speedy receiving duo like that could do some damage with the right offensive system.

NIce.

But I suppose you could already say we have a rich man's Percy Harvin.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PsyDanny wrote:
NIce.

But I suppose you could already say we have a rich man's Percy Harvin.
The Vikes might even have a "poor man's" Percy Harvin in Wright. Time will tell...
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The WR from USC (Woods?) didn't do much to impress last night.

The guy from Cal looked solid.

Only other guy that shined to me is this Marquis Goodwin from UT Austin. Placed 10th at the olympics in the 100 meter; he had a very productive night receiving and running (almost 200 yards).
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Put TCU's Brandon Carter on your radar...

just made a gorgeous one-handed catch for a 68 yard TD.