Twins

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Twins

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boy, Chicago is gift wrapping the division for us, and we are not taking it. All of a sudden Joe Nathan couldn't save his own life, the offense can't hit the broad side of a barn, and the little things that got us this far are not happening anymore. I remember earlier in the season, Gomez and Casilla would bunt on, and it would be a sure run sometime in the inning. Now I watch, and they never bunt, usually they fly out to shallow OF. That is not the Twins I know, the Twins that were 20 games above .500 not that long ago.
I guess if there is a silver lining, it is that Chicago doesnt want to win the division anymore than we do at this point.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Re: Twins

Post by Demi »

Overachieving average team. In a mediocre division. We didn't want to take this division enough to go get a bat, instead we sign another wily veteran late inning pitcher.

We'll win some, we'll lose some. It'll be fun while it lasts. But until ownership gets serious about winning we won't see another world series.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I like the twins to be honest

they always have a good team and spend little compared to a lot of clubs to get it.

Honestly I am just glad the Yankees are blowing it right now. This is going to be the first year
the have not made the playoffs since 1993. They are 11.5 games back in their division and 4.5 behind
Boston.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

jackal wrote:I like the twins to be honest

they always have a good team and spend little compared to a lot of clubs to get it.

Honestly I am just glad the Yankees are blowing it right now. This is going to be the first year
the have not made the playoffs since 1993. They are 11.5 games back in their division and 4.5 behind
Boston.
No kidding; it will be a breath of fresh air to not see the Yankees in the playoffs. If they keep trying to do things the way they are, they could see a long dry spell. I'm loving that their ignoring the farm system is screwing them finally.

I'm also very happy that Tampa is almost definitely going to win the division. I love seeing a young team like that finally get things rolling their way.

And I'm even more happy the Cubs are the best team in baseball this year. Now they just have to keep it going in October. I'm tired of the curse.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote:Overachieving average team. In a mediocre division. We didn't want to take this division enough to go get a bat, instead we sign another wily veteran late inning pitcher.

We'll win some, we'll lose some. It'll be fun while it lasts. But until ownership gets serious about winning we won't see another world series.

I suppose. I don't see them beating Anaheim or Boston in the playoffs. I guess my biggest beef is, like you said, they didn't go get a bat. They have so many young pitchers, they could have given one of them to Seattle for Beltre.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

WOW

I just looked at the Yankees schedule and they are done with out a doubt!

They have six games against the Tampa Bay devil Rays left
Three games against Los Angeles Angels
Three games against Boston (in boston) they are done !

all of those teams are playing better than them and they already five games out of the wild card !

eat that Yankees ! :slice: :rock: :lol:
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

jackal wrote:WOW

I just looked at the Yankees schedule and they are done with out a doubt!

They have six games against the Tampa Bay devil Rays left
Three games against Los Angeles Angels
Three games against Boston (in boston) they are done !

all of those teams are playing better than them and they already five games out of the wild card !

eat that Yankees ! :slice: :rock: :lol:

Poor George is gonna be apoplectic about that! He pretty much fired Joe Torre because of Yankee lack of success in the playoffs and now they're not even going to make the playoffs!

Hey, George! Maybe it ain't the manager! How about firing the owner?!

Dawn
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hey, George! Maybe it ain't the manager! How about firing the owner?!

I would say the general manager in this case. The Yankees have stolen other players for years
and it has benfited them. Unfortunatly for them they are not developing any young talent of their
so hence they are playing catch up to the other teams on young talent.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

jackal wrote: I would say the general manager in this case. The Yankees have stolen other players for years
and it has benfited them. Unfortunatly for them they are not developing any young talent of their
so hence they are playing catch up to the other teams on young talent.
Cashman (the GM) has tried to build the team the right way. But the owner (both George in the past and Hank now) are stupid and don't let him do his job. They demand instant gratification by signing past-their-prime stars. Its why their pitching is in trouble and why they have no depth to take care of injuries. I'm glad its finally caught up with the Bronx Bombers. They could see a long drought, a la the time between 1979 and 1995; maybe not that long but they will likely be mediocre for a few years with TB and Boston being ahead of them consistently for a while.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

wang_chi7 wrote:I'm glad its finally caught up with the Bronx Bombers. They could see a long drought, a la the time between 1979 and 1995; maybe not that long but they will likely be mediocre for a few years with TB and Boston being ahead of them consistently for a while.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the Yanks have a nice long drought. I take that back... nothing except the White Sox having the same long drought.

Dawn
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

DeeEss57 wrote:
Nothing would make me happier than to see the Yanks have a nice long drought. I take that back... nothing except the White Sox having the same long drought.

Dawn

I don't know who I hate more, the Yankees or the White Sox. I used to like the Yanks when they had Paul O'Neil and Bernie Williams. But now since the Steins have bought every good player, I can't stand them.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

I agree that the Twins need to sign a slugger (or two). It sucks that they're consistently at the bottom of the league for HRs. Kubel isn't terrible as a DH, but they really need to pick up a big bat to fill that spot. Is it too much to ask to get a guy who can consistently hit 30+ homers in a season?

But lately the major problem with the team has been the relief pitching. They've blown way too many games in the late innings that should've been wins. The pitching coaches have done a great job with the young group of starters they have, but the crappy relievers have seriously hurt the team's chances to make it to the playoffs.

Their only hope is to win the division, because its looking more and more likely that the Red Sox will get the wild card
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hate hearing that "White Sox will lose division, they rely too much on the home run"

What?! The game is about scoring, and stopping the opposing team from scoring. They're #1 in the division for a reason, they can hit home runs. When did this "small ball" become "the right way to play the game"?
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Demi wrote: When did this "small ball" become "the right way to play the game"?
Correct me if I'm wrong, because i'm not a rabid baseball fanatic, but hasn't that always been the Twins' philosophy? They've always relied on their defense and pitching to take them into the playoffs and seemingly avoid big sluggers like the plague. Even in the days of their championships their big hitters were Puckett and Hrbeck, who usually got around 20-30 HRs a season. That's always been good enough for the Twins, but pales in comparison to other teams that have like 3-4 guys with AT LEAST 20 homers.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Yankees lost again !!!

there done ! Man if the Vikings can beat GB !

Man I want the Vikings to crush those urine stained uniformed JERKS! :slice: :rock: :govikes: :banana2: :wake :elephant: :thumb: