Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

Post by TSonn »

Raptorman wrote: Let's play myth vs reality. The myth is that Bridgewater is a dink and dunk QB unlike other QB's in the NFL. The reality is something different. So here goes. Bridgewater's passes compared to some other "REAL" NFL QB's. This is pass attempts into known area of the field. Data comes from ESPN. As people can see, Teddy has about the same number of attempts behind the LOS to the 10 yards past the LOS as other "real" NFL QB's. Now, I have done this before and will do it for any QB you want. But I can tell you the results are going to be about the same. His completion percentage past 31 yards is down below what many other do. Carr looks like a downfield freak at this point. BTW, Rodgers, Brees, and Rivers all had a higher percentage of attempts behind the LOS than Bridgewater. This is the reality of NFL QB's.

Code: Select all

BLOS-10yards   11-30 yards     31-40 yards   % comp 31-40
Brady           73.6          23.5            2.9              23
Rivers          71.5          25.1            3.4              27
Bridgewater     69.9          26.6            3.5              17
Brees           68.8          27.3            3.9              31
Wilson          68.0          27.0            5.0              38
Rodgers         66.4          30.0            3.6              36
Carr            65.1          31.5            3.4              62
Palmer          55.4          37.4            7.2              38
:appl: Reality is such a great place to live in.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

his completion percentage for 31-40 yards is by far the lowest on the board. i over exaggerated a bit when i said "only" 5 yard outs, but i didn't exaggerate at all when i said "down the field." in 2 seasons he has 2 deep touchdowns. 1 to diggs and 1 to wallace. that is sad.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

mosscarter wrote:his completion percentage for 31-40 yards is by far the lowest on the board. i over exaggerated a bit when i said "only" 5 yard outs, but i didn't exaggerate at all when i said "down the field." in 2 seasons he has 2 deep touchdowns. 1 to diggs and 1 to wallace. that is sad.
Not sure you even watch the games. He had a long TD to Thelen and a long TD to CJohnson last year. Both of those deep throws were perfect.

He has no long TDs to Wallace yet. He should have had 1 to him in week 1 but Wallace was interfered with (no call) and didn't make the catch on a great throw.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

tsonn i don't remember the one to theilen. either way that makes 3. still pretty lousy.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

TSonn wrote: Not sure you even watch the games. He had a long TD to Thelen and a long TD to CJohnson last year. Both of those deep throws were perfect.

He has no long TDs to Wallace yet. He should have had 1 to him in week 1 but Wallace was interfered with (no call) and didn't make the catch on a great throw.
In an odd twist. Teddy has just as many deep(31+ yards) TD's the last 2 years, 2, as Brady does.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:his completion percentage for 31-40 yards is by far the lowest on the board. i over exaggerated a bit when i said "only" 5 yard outs, but i didn't exaggerate at all when i said "down the field." in 2 seasons he has 2 deep touchdowns. 1 to diggs and 1 to wallace. that is sad.
You mean 1 to Johnson? He never had a deep TD to Wallace
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

mosscarter wrote:tsonn i don't remember the one to theilen. either way that makes 3. still pretty lousy.
You were just way off on your "stats" while spewing your hate. I would say that it makes you lose credibility, but you lost that a few weeks ago anyway. Just try to look stuff up next time you try to bash a player on the team you like.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Raptorman wrote: In an odd twist. Teddy has just as many deep(31+ yards) TD's the last 2 years, 2, as Brady does.
Sounds like Teddy has more! Thelen, Johnson, and Diggs.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

johnson in the jets game last year. that is what i meant to say. how does it change the fact that it is 3 deep td's in 20 plus games? explain that to me?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:tsonn i don't remember the one to theilen.
It was a throw to Thielen after a broken coverage left him WIDE open. It was the kind of pass that should be easy for any NFL QB but sometimes they miss them and to his credit, Bridgewater did put that one right on the money. It occurred against the Bears in the last game of 2014.

Raptorman, why the 11-30 yard category when the others are broken into 10 yard increments? isn't it usually customary in these sort of splits to have an 11-20 yard category and a 21-30 yard category?
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

mosscarter wrote:johnson in the jets game last year. that is what i meant to say. how does it change the fact that it is 3 deep td's in 20 plus games? explain that to me?
Did you miss the point that tom brady has 2 deep td in 20 plus games as well?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

randomghost11 wrote: Did you miss the point that tom brady has 2 deep td in 20 plus games as well?
I'm not following the Bridgewater vs Brady comparison in any context. In 2014 and thus far in 2015 Brady has completed 90 passes over 20 yards and 18 over 40 yards. He's also thrown 64 TDs (and I don't care how short or long they were) in 2014 and 2015. And the 2015 season isn't even over yet.

No disrespect meant towards Bridgewater but Brady plays in a different world than he does. There is no comparison.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote:I think 13 seconds was enough time to run one more play in that situation but the whole things rests on the QB making a good decision. The time only becomes a serious issue if the decision is bad.

The QB should be able to get the ball out of his hands in 2-2.5 seconds (at most) after the snap and the route needs to be designed to allow that to happen.

If the receiver isn't in position to make the catch and get out of bounds, the QB needs to throw the ball away. If the receiver is open near the sidelines but covered well enough that he might not get out, throw it away. If there's no receiver open, throw it away. Basically, if there's any situation other than an easy throw, catch and step out of bounds, throw it away.

You obviously need to have a well-designed play in that situation but the main danger is a poor choice by the QB.

The Vikes blew it. :(
The Vikings coaches blew it. Why even take a chance with a play like that when Walsh just hit about the exact same difference. Why call a play like that when one of the best outcomes it to get out of the play with an intentional grounding. The entire backfield was COVERED in DBs. Teddy was told to try and get a few more yards but the WRs couldnt get open. Why call a play like that when the Oline has been suck almost the whole season. Why call that play when we have had nothing but bad luck and bad plays for the most part.

Or, lets do like some of you love to do, and put the blame right on Teddy. Who couldnt even count on the vet tackle, Kalil, to give him the time needed, the time the coaches asked him to give. Or a vet WR to get open for him to at least take chance on a throw that might not be intercepted, and intentional gound not be called if things go all to hell in the last few seconds. The QB didnt blow this game alone, nor was the main reason for it. Virtually everyone on the offense did.
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

losperros wrote: I'm not following the Bridgewater vs Brady comparison in any context. In 2014 and thus far in 2015 Brady has completed 90 passes over 20 yards and 18 over 40 yards. He's also thrown 64 TDs (and I don't care how short or long they were) in 2014 and 2015. And the 2015 season isn't even over yet.

No disrespect meant towards Bridgewater but Brady plays in a different world than he does. There is no comparison.
Obviously brady is better no question. The whole point of it to me is that its not as a vital as other areas when playing qb. I do believe teddy needs to improve on it to keep defenses on their heels for the possibility but its not make or break for an offense.

Brady 2015:
comp att yrds td int
21-30 yds 12 31 403 1 0
31-40 yds 1 6 39 0 1
41+ yds 2 7 102 0 0

Brady 2014:
comp att yrds td int
21-30 yds 9 32 291 2 0
31-40 yds 1 8 44 0 1
41+ yds 2 8 92 2 0

Teddy 2015:
comp att yrds td int
21-30 yds 5 24 167 0 3
31-40 yds 2 8 71 1 1
41+ yds 0 4 0 0 0

Teddy 2014:
comp att yrds td int
21-30 yds 11 18 283 3 1
31-40 yds 1 12 38 0 2
41+ yds 1 10 56 1 1

Interpret that how you like but I see that bridgewater has struggled at being as efficient as brady but there not far apart from td total or overall completions.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

if you are seriously comparing tom brady to teddy bridgewater, on any level, you need to reevaluate a lot of things. you have to be kidding me. tom brady may be the greatest qb to ever live. and yet, the majority of his career he's done it with bad receivers other than our guy randy moss.