Peterson: MVP?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

AllDayBaby
Waterboy

Re: Peterson: MVP?

Post by AllDayBaby »

Demi wrote: If you put AD on Broncos and Manning on Vikes...are Broncos still going to be #1 seed and Vikings barely make the wild card? I have a feeling we win the Division and Broncos get a wild card at best.

It's tilted more towards QBs because QBs *are more valuable* than running backs. You can have the best running back in the game and win 10 games and the final wild card spot, heck last year he was 2-8 as a starter! You have the best quarterback in the game you're looking at a top 2 seed year in and year out. Shouldn't that count for something? Bring up the inflated numbers all you want but the position is still the most important in the game. Can you name the running back on recent super bowl winning teams? They're interchangeable. The top HBs in any given year, MJD, CJ2K, AD, Jamaal Charles...their teams don't even make the playoffs more often than not.

I also believe AD should get it, but I hardly think it's as cut and dry as some people are making it out to be.
This is absurd. Of course a QB has a bigger impact on a team than a RB. A QB has a bigger impact than any other position on the field, and it's not close. By your logic MVP would be given to a QB every year. Seriously, RB might as well be disqualified by rule. If arguably the greatest RB season of all time can't beat a relatively average QB performance (again, PM didn't even have the best QB season in the AFC), then MVP is a QB award.

Sorry bud. This is cut and dried. Both players are having "comeback" seasons. Both had tremendous impacts on their team. One did it as a QB who didn't lead the NFL in nearly any key metrics at his position. The other dominated his position in nearly every key stat and almost caught an untouchable historical mark. Take the politics out and it is cut and dried.

Also, I don't know how you can have watched the same 16 games I just watched and say that running backs are interchangeable. Put Michel Leshoure on the Vikings and tell me that this team is in playoffs this year. Go ahead, think about it.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Manning took over at QB for a playoff team and got them back to the playoffs.

Brady and Rodgers were already at the helm of playoff teams and got them back to the playoffs.

So no surprises there, other than that Manning's abilities were uncertain given his surgeries.

AD, on the other hand, played for a 3-13 team that many had picked to finish last in the division. He also played without the benefit of even a serviceable passing game for more than half of this year's games and consistently faced defenses designed to stop only him. And if Manning's performance is more impressive due to his recent injuries, AD should get that same bump due to his injury.

If MVP is about the player who made the biggest difference to his team, AD wins it hands-down. The QB position is "more valuable" in absolute terms, but in terms of who overcame the most to lead his team to success, it's not close. AD did that.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Also, I don't know how you can have watched the same 16 games I just watched and say that running backs are interchangeable. Put Michel Leshoure on the Vikings and tell me that this team is in playoffs this year. Go ahead, think about it.
I meant in overall terms. Who's going to be the running back on the super bowl team this year? Adrian Peterson? All his value and we were still a last second field goal in the last game from not even making the playoffs....and we'll see how far the team gets with the most valuable player in the entire league on their roster.

We're talking value here so why are people so quick to act like it's offensive that a quarterback is more likely to get the award then a running back when it seems like most people admit quarterback is the most important (valuable) position in the game?
Is it your assertion that the Vikings receiving corps and o-line is equal to or better than Green Bay's?
No, it's that a QB is valuable enough to make them better. Favre came in here and the year before and after this offensive line was nothing to write home about, the receivers were hardly spectacular. But he led the team to the NFC championship game and put up some damn good numbers with them. You don't think a top flight quarterback could do that again? AD or no AD?

(I'm just playing devil's advocate more than anything. I do think he should get the award, and a lot of people agree even some that have no vested interest.)
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Demi wrote: No, it's that a QB is valuable enough to make them better. Favre came in here and the year before and after this offensive line was nothing to write home about, the receivers were hardly spectacular. But he led the team to the NFC championship game and put up some damn good numbers with them. You don't think a top flight quarterback could do that again? AD or no AD?

(I'm just playing devil's advocate more than anything. I do think he should get the award, and a lot of people agree even some that have no vested interest.)
You make a valid point about Favre, and I agree. Sidney (who?) until Favre took over from Jackson and Rice became quite the weapon. The slight difference I see is that Favre took over when TJ/Frerotte lead the team to 10 wins the previous season. So while the grey fox was able to get his receivers to play (or appear) better, I'm not sure the receivers were that much better. (I think TJ was just that incompetent). I still think if you put Ponder on GB and Rodgers in MN, the disparity between the two receiving corps (sans Harvin) is readily apparent.

Nothing wrong with playing Devil's advocate. I too, think Peterson should get the award, but I can't deny that Manning is one of the best QBs to play the game, so it's hard to say there is no way he should get it.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Ill say it instead, THERES NO WAY HE SHOULD GET IT. Much better, see how good that feels. :D
This space available for rent.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

If Manning wins the MVP, they should make an award called the MVQ (most valuable quarterback) and have a different award for all the other positions. 9 of the past 11 MVP's have been QB's.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Peterson will get snubbed just because he is a Viking. :steamed:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Here are a few more remarkable measurements of Peterson's mind-blowing regular season:

If you took only his longest three runs from each of the Vikings' 16 games, Peterson would have totaled 1,226 yards. On just those 48 rushes. Which, even if he hadn't carried the ball those other 300 times, he would have ranked ninth in the NFL in rushing.

As for Peterson's month of December? He rushed for 861 yards. Take out his 11 games from September, October and November and that yardage total would have ranked 18th in the NFL.

No wonder, after Peterson rushed 34 times Sunday, safety Jamarca Sanford felt obligated to deliver the most impressive carry of the day, jubilantly lifting Peterson up and running with him to the sideline.

"That adrenaline was pumping," Sanford said. "Adrian deserved that. I wanted him to know our appreciation."

Sanford shakes his head.

"This is a legend right in front of your eyes," he said. "I've heard of the great backs of all time -- Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, all the greats. To see one with my own eyes is special.

"When A.D. is running, he's just different. He plays like a guy on defense. He's always loose. And if you hit him hard one time, you have to come back and do it again the whole game. Some backs, you hit them in the mouth one time, they start tiptoeing. Not Adrian. He just keeps coming."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Offensive Player of the Year

Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings

Where to begin with Peterson’s accolades?

We can start with his falling a mere 9 yards short of Eric Dickerson’s single-season rushing record of 2105 yards, and his +30.1 PFF grade is the best we’ve ever given to a running back. It should be noted that in our system, it’s near impossible for a running back to post anything like the gaudy numbers we’ve seen from players like J.J. Watt and Geno Atkins this season, but Peterson’s grade is comparable for his position.

The context of the numbers is incredible, especially given Minnesota’s limitations in the passing game. With every opposing team’s game plan keyed in on Peterson, he averaged 6.0 yards per carry with 67% of his yards coming after contact. He averaged a ridiculous 4.1 yards after contact, effectively still acting as a league average running back even after the defense got to him. Peterson led the league by forcing 69 missed tackles and ranked second in our Elusive Rating at 72.3.

To rush for 2,097 yards there have to be some big gains, and Peterson had his share of breakaway runs. He broke free for two 82-yarders, as well as three others of more than 60. Perhaps most impressive, though, was his ability to save his best performances for the end of the season. At the beginning of the year, it was amazing just to see him take a snap being only nine months removed from major knee surgery, but as the year wore on, he clearly got stronger. Minnesota’s playoff push was set squarely on his shoulders and he came through with 100-yard efforts in nine of his last 10 games, and went for over 200 twice in that span.

To top off the season, Peterson’s most valuable run was likely his last, as it set up a game-winning field goal that put the Vikings into the playoffs. He may be the only running back who can actually be the focal point of a two-minute drill, but as Minnesota was driving for the game-winning kick, it was Peterson who received four straight handoffs. On his final carry, he delivered the a 26-yard gain that set up Blair Walsh’s kick and Minnesota’s postseason ticket.

When it came down to crunch time, the Vikings ignored the clock and put the ball into the hands of their best playmaker, and our Offensive Player of the Year.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -the-year/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good stuff.

Manning vs. Peterson

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... le-player/
You can’t separate these two in terms of value, which is why PFF is naming co-MVPs for the first time: Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson.
Arjuna
Franchise Player

Post by Arjuna »

If a QB wins it I don't think it should even be Manning. I would take Rodgers over Manning personally.
"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Manning neither leads the league in touchdowns thrown (Brees, Rodgers) nor completions (Stafford, Romo, Brees, Ryan, Brady) nor yards (Brees, Stafford, Romo, Brady, Ryan). Peyton Manning isn't too statistically superior to even Matt Ryan and nobody talks about him for MVP.

Adrian Peterson is number one, not number 6, in rushing yards this season and number 2 all time. His next closest competitor, Alfred Morris, is almost 25 percent behind him at 1613 compared to 2097. So Peyton Manning doesn't even lead his conference in passing yards and Peterson has over 2000 yards for only the 6th time in history and smokes the next competitor.

The only RB with more touchdowns are Foster (15) and Morris (13). Peterson at 12 is third in the league for touchdowns.

He averages 30 percent more yards per game averaged out than Morris (131 to 100)

Peterson has by far and away more big plays with the standard being 20+ yards. 27! The next closest is C.J. Spiller at 12. 12!

Peterson also leads the league in first downs.

I think the best RB who is also the best player on his team deserves the award over what, arguably not even the best QB in his conference?
Last edited by Hunter Morrow on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I'd say Brees is more important to the Saints than Manning is to the Broncos. Another 5000 yard season and he is passing to nobodies and handicapped by one of the very worst defense and special teams units in the league.
Are you kidding? He has arguably the second-best receiving tight end in the game and a legit weapon in Coleston. Moore isn't an elite talent but is a capable #2. He's had plenty of his weapons. Put it this way, I'd rather Ponder throw to that group of nobodies. :o
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

That tight end is made that way by Brees. Brees made Graham, Graham didn't make Brees.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hunter Morrow wrote:That tight end is made that way by Brees. Brees made Graham, Graham didn't make Brees.
It's more symbiotic than that. They help each other.